VISIONS Cambodia Volunteer Program

VISIONS Cambodia Volunteer Program

VISIONS offers teenagers opportunities for ambitious service work and cross-cultural immersion in the United States and abroad. We work with and for intercultural communities that lack financial and other development resources. Through service, authentic experience, and active exploration, we encourage new perspectives and dynamic learning.

Our home base is in Battambang, the capital of Battambang Province in northwest Cambodia. It is the country’s second largest city and a hub for the entire region but feels like a sweet small town. Projects include masonry, construction, and work on school infrastructure. You'll also get to lead summer classes for the kids who will soon use the facilities you're building.

After work and on weekends you'll get to visit local parks and markets, play with neighborhood kids, and visit Angkor Wat—one of the Seven Wonders of the World. You'll also learn about the history of Cambodia and experience a society in the process of rebuilding.

Asia » Cambodia
The program runs from July 20 to August 9. Tuition includes all expenses but airfare.

jacob
Ithaca, New York
Ithaca College

Cambodia

My summer in Cambodia was actually my 4th visions program and I can easily say it was one of the best. I loved living in an actual city and I have never been to that part of the world so I was thrilled to learn all about their unique cultural activities. My favorite parts of the city were the public gym equipment and all the free dance, yoga, etc. classes that take place at night around the park.

The community service was incredibly rewarding because we literally built the latrines from the ground up. From digging the trenches to pouring the concrete foundation or even laying tile for the bathroom floor, we did it all. But the best was working at the school and along side the children. Each day the children would come and watch us work. But they would also eagerly try to learn english and western games. Even simple games like head shoulders knees and toes got them jumping with joy. To this day I still remember all of my favorite little kids' names.

And I can't forget the travel aspect. Through Visions I have now seen 2 wonders of the world and I would not have asked for a better way to experience them than with the close friendships I had made already over the trip. Each excursion brought me closer to the culture and really connected me directly to the roots of the Khmer people. No touristy attractions and dumbed down info. We got the hardcore truth about all of Cambodia's history. It was great rolling around the city in our tuk tuks, talking with the locals, and waving to all the excited children seeing Americans.

The head of the program wasn't the greatest and this lead to bad planning of excursion trips and mistreatment of other staff and teens.

EC

Amazing experience

I was a participant in the Visions Cambodia program 2014. I really loved it. I chose this program because I was really attracted by South East Asia, and I was not disappointed whatsoever. The service we did we very meaningful, the participants and staff were all great people. The service was mostly construction work (masonry and carpentry) and teaching at a summer camp run by SALT Academy (an organization that helps empower Cambodian girls/ women through sports). I had never used a saw or hammer before and by the end of the program I was quite adept. The service was well planned and organized and we got so much done we did extra work for HelpAge, an organization helping the elderly. We also did many fun things such as kayak and bike on the week-ends. We got to visit Angkor Wat, the Tonle Sap Lake, Phnom Penh (the capital of Cambodia) and Siem Reap. I fully recommend this program !

Sierra
Rio Grande City, Texas

Cambodian Summer

VISIONS is a fun, easy way to enjoy your summer while impacting the world around you. This summer I attended the Cambodian program and am so glad I did. It was truly amazing to be incorporated into the Cambodian lifestyle and culture. The people are happy, generous, and greedy for knowledge. While teaching summer school classes in our hometown Battambang, I discovered first hand just how smart and willing to learn the children are. Working projects may be scary at first but do not worry if you have never cemented a building or painted in your life. By the end of the program you will be ready to build yourself a house! Participants, staff, and community members are always willing to teach you how to perform different jobs at the work site. Soon enough working becomes fun and you forget about the sweat and sun. VISIONS allowed me to meet people from all across the globe which is something I will always cherish. This summer I meant something, and I challenge you to mean something too!

High-quality summer programs for teens who want to accomplish challenging projects and make lasting friendships. Through service work and cross-cultural living, VISIONS offers new perspectives and deep learning while assisting under-resourced communities. Our evenings and weekends are reserved for exploration and adventure. English, Spanish and