AFS High School Study Abroad Program in Chile

AFS High School Study Abroad Program in Chile

Year & Semester: The slender country running over half the length of South America is an ideal home for the adventurous, Spanish- loving study abroad. As one of the most politically and economically stable countries Latin America with one of the best education systems. In their spare time, young Chileans like to get together at friends’ houses or go to the movies. They like to gather in the town square, go to parties and dance, or just hang out in the local café. You will most likely attend a private high school. Most school days begin around 8 a.m., have one hour for lunch, and end between 4 and 6 p.m.

Summer Homestay: This seven-week program is an opportunity to immerse yourself in the lifestyle and culture of Chile. Spend your summer in the Southern Hemisphere, living with a host family and learning about Chilean life and culture. There will be an emphasis on engaging with your host family and taking part in their daily activities.

In their spare time, young Chileans like to get together at friends' houses or go to movies. They also like to gather in the town square, go to parties and dance, or just hang out in the local café. Your host school may offer some after school activities that you can get involved with. Lunch is the main meal of the day and usually includes meat (beef, lamb, pork or chicken) or fish with rice or pasta and vegetables. Between 5 p.m. and 6 p.m. most people have a meal called onces, where tea or coffee is served with bread and butter or marmalade and possibly cakes or some other kind of pastry.

South America » Chile
Program Categories
Spanish

Shannen
Bakersfield, California

My Year Abroad in Chile

While abroad a experience a range of crazy events that taught me to adapt and overcome. Once while traveling alone though the central area of my town, Rancagua, I had turned down a street I wasn't familiar with. I was approached by a woman who insisted on reading my palm. I had heard about, her type before. She was a gypsy, and I had been warned about them before, but I didn't want to be too quick to judge. I allowed her to read my palm knowing the next question would be for money or food in return, and I had about 3 dollars worth of pesos that I planned on giving her. When she finished reading my palm she ask for money, just as I had thought. I opened my purse to grab out the money and she tried to stick her hand in. I snatched it away before she could take anything and gave her the money to be on my way. She clearly wasn't about to let that happen and before I knew it another gypsy started to approach. I was frantic and didn't know what to do. My fight or flight reflex kicked in and before I knew it my feet were moving faster than my brain. I dart through an alley and onto a street and waved down the nearest taxi! I made it out safe, but boy did I learn. Always trust the wisdom of locals.

The cost. I think they should create more scholarship programs for those who want to participate but can't afford it.

Christina
Bryn Mawr College

Amazing!

I had an absolutely amazing experience! I lived in Patagonia and my friends and my class were the highlight of my experience. Although when I arrived I understood almost nothing, my classmates and my family talked to me all the time even when I didn't understand. They taught me everything, even when it was swear words or jokes or tongue twisters that I didn't understand it helped. By the end of my time there, I couldn't imagine leaving and I didn't remember how to speak English properly. I won't lie, there were plenty of moments where it was hard for me to understand what was going on because of the cultural barriers but at the end of my exchange I felt like I was a part of the culture and now I can't wait until I can visit Chile again.

The only thing I would change about this program would be that I would add optional Spanish and culture courses at least at the beginning because at least for me the first month was difficult to adjust, especially since I had never spoken to a native Spanish speaker nor had I ever lived outside of the US before.

AFS-USA (formerly the American Field Service), a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, is a leader in intercultural learning and offers international exchange programs in more than 40 countries around the world through independent, nonprofit AFS Organizations, each with a network of volunteers, a professionally staffed office, and