AFS High School Study Abroad Program in China

AFS High School Study Abroad Program in China

Year and Semester: School will be challenging, but rewarding. Spend your days sipping tea with family, riding rickshaws with friends, and becoming a member of one of the most dynamic societies on the globe. You will most likely be placed in the Senior 1 level (equivalent of 10th grade). AFS students are not placed in the Senior 2 or 3 levels as they are the graduating classes and these students are typically engrossed in studying for university entrance examinations, leaving nearly no time at all for social activities. Because school is such a priority for students, most of your socializing will happen within the classroom, in study groups, or through school-related activities like sports, martial arts or dance. Chinese teenagers seldom date.

Summer language: This four-week program is designed to provide an intensive introduction to the Chinese (Mandarin) language through immersion in Chinese culture. Mandarin is one of today's most critical global languages, and there may be no better way to learn it than to participate fully in the culture. This program offers you the opportunity to take Chinese language classes, and then put your new knowledge to immediate use through interactions with the community and your host family. The language classes will be complemented by time in the community either independently, with fellow AFSers, or with your host family. Through immersing yourself in Chinese culture and daily life, you will be able to contextualize your language lessons and increase their impact further. Cultural activities that will complement your language lessons may include: Chinese painting, calligraphy, paper cutting, martial arts, cooking, and field trips.

Summer global prep: This two-week program is designed for students who want to get a flavor of China by taking part of different local activities and learning survival Chinese. Mandarin is one of today's most critical global languages, and there may be no better way to learn it than to participate fully in the culture. This program offers you the opportunity to take classes in a language school during the day, and then put your new knowledge to immediate use through interactions with the community and your host family. In keeping with Confucian ethic, the Chinese have a strong sense of family and respect for hierarchy. Within the family, both parents usually work outside the home and only have one child, and it is not uncommon for a grandparent to live with the family. Most Chinese families in the cities live in multi-story apartment buildings.

Asia » China
Chinese

Isabel
Washington, DC
George Washington University

Amazing!

Just like many other exchange returnees will tell you, this trip was life-changing. Although it was very short, at just two weeks, it was long enough for me to love with China. Each day in this program was packed with different activities to do with the other American students on the trip or the Chinese students. We usually had Chinese classes in the mornings at an international school, and spent the afternoons experiencing cultural activities or interacting with Chinese students. We all stayed with host families. I had an amazing family, and we somehow managed to become very close in the short time that I was there, so much that my host sister and I were crying by the time I left, but I still wouldn't take back this trip for the world!

Thomas
Salt Lake City, Utah

AFS in China changed my life!

From the moment I arrived in my host city to the time I boarded my flight back to the US ten months later, living in China was a rollercoaster of fun. While living and studying in Liaoning Anshan I was immersed in a new language and culture that gave me a new view on the world. My host family was warm and welcoming from the first day on and I felt at home during the whole year. At school I made friends that I will have for the rest of my life while simultaneously learning Chinese from fabulous teachers. Although there were some times when I missed home, the people around me always reminded me that I was at home in China. Besides school and family life I had lots of free time to explore my extracurricular interests. This included learning calligraphy after school, going to a gym where I met some new friends, and travelling throughout the country. If you have an opportunity to go abroad, AFS China should be at the top of your list!

Because AFS China is such a large program, nearly 400 students were there while I was, getting in touch with people in charge was slightly troublesome. For example, to travel independently you need to have the approval of your host school, host family, local AFS Coordinator, AFS China national office, and natural family, which made the process take up to 3 weeks. If there was a way to expedite this it would have made the year much easier.

AFS-USA (formerly the American Field Service), a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, is a leader in intercultural learning and offers international exchange programs in more than 40 countries around the world through independent, nonprofit AFS Organizations, each with a network of volunteers, a professionally staffed office, and