China: Chinese Language & Traditions

China: Chinese Language & Traditions

Travel from vibrant Beijing to the grasslands of inner China. In Beijing, deepen your understanding of China’s history through visits to cultural sites such as Tiananmen Square, the Forbidden City, the Temple of Heaven, and the Great Wall. You’ll have the opportunity to mingle with locals, sharpen your Chinese language skills through formal classes, check out folk music and acrobatic performances, and prepare a typical Chinese meal.

Travel by overnight train to inner China, also known as Inner Mongolia, where you’ll see the sun rise over the grasslands and learn about Mongolian culture. Your Experiment continues in the city of Chengde, where you will take Chinese (Mandarin) lessons and bike to nearby palaces and temples during your homestay.

Practice your Chinese language skills during your stay in a Han rural village. Together, you will hike scenic mountains and visit the historic city of Qufu, the hometown of Confucius. The program concludes with time in Shanghai.

• Language
Asia » China » Beijing
Asia » China » Chengdu
Program Categories
Chinese
The Experiment is the leader in financial aid and scholarships, awarding $2.4 Million in 2016 alone. Program fee includes all accommodations in country, meals, activities, conferences, in-country travel, and 24-hour on-call support. Excludes international airfare.

Katie
Naples, FL

An Experience Like No Other

This Northern China study abroad trip was one of the best experiences of my life. It made me realize that the best way to travel is to be immersed into the culture completely. I loved exploring different parts of China and learning their way of life. It was so different from what I was used to, which is what made it so amazing. I enjoyed communicating with locals and learning about China's extensive history from all the sites we visited. The host families I had were also so kind and welcoming and I am so glad I had the opportunity to make memories with them. I never once felt unsafe during this trip, and I owe it to EIL for giving me this wonderful opportunity. I will always cherish the memories I made with my group and others in China. I have made best friends for life and would 10/10 recommend EIL for studying abroad.

Vei Vei
Raleigh, North Carolina.

Watch Me Whip, Watch Me Nae Nae...In China

My favorite memory of my China experience is when my group in the grasslands of Inner Mongolia, China. We were playing a very intense game of Mafia that came to an abrupt end when we collectively decided to participate in one of the many bonfires that always took place during the night time. There was dancing, singing, and a lot of loud traditional Mongolian/Chinese music being played. I found the fact that there were no "real" bathrooms or showers but there was a top-notch stereo system with music that came from an exquisite Mac computer very interesting. We wanted to see if we could play some American music. Naturally because I was the only North American in that moment who was there and could somewhat speak Chinese, I was forced to communicate with the leaders of the activity. Thankfully, I stumbled upon a man who spoke enough of both English and Chinese to help me translate. It just so happened that their technology and a borrowed Beats headphones cord worked with another borrowed iPhone. So we were all really scared and nervous, being in such a different world, essentially asking to do something never done before, temporarily pausing a very long-standing tradition. As we were standing, all of a sudden we heard "YOU ALREADY KNOW WHAT IT IS!!!", and we sporadically yet simultaneously freaked out while also making our way to the bonfire. We surrounded the fire, which was located in the middle of all these strangers, and began dancing like we were getting a million bucks the next day. That, is a memory that will last my all of my days.

The volunteers or leaders could be trained to be slightly nicer in situations-I know we're all human, but it is nice to have someone to look up to or talk to every once in a while.

Vei Vei
School: McLean, Virginia; Home: Raleigh North Carolina.

My Trip to Northern China

Dear Readers,
E.I.L. is a wonderful organization that has afforded me wonderful opportunities from which I have extracted endless lessons and experiences. Going to China was a desire of mine, and this summer I was able to entertain that desire in more ways than I could have ever imagined. I went to Tiananmen Square and the Forbidden City, The Great Wall of China-you name it. In addition to fantastic sights, I indulged in Chinese immersion through language, food, culture, and community. I will never take for granted the trip to Asia that has forever changed my life, and I hope many people in the future will be able to say that as well.

Yours Truly,
A Content Experimentor

If you could please be pickier with who I chose to lead these trips.

The Experiment in International Living provides 3-, 4-, and 5-week summer programs for high school students who want to connect deeply and engage meaningfully with the richness and complexities of another country.

Programs equip students not only with essential cultural and, in many cases, language