China: Chinese Language & Culture

Travel to Beijing to explore the Great Wall, the Forbidden City, Tiananmen Square, and the Temple of Heaven . You will witness cultural performances, taste dumplings in local markets, and learn to prepare a typical Chinese meal. Your Mandarin Chinese language skills will develop through 45+ hours of training.
You’ll learn more about Chinese culture through new friendships with Chinese peers who will join you for part of the program. Practice your Chinese language skills with Chinese host families during two homestay. Hike scenic mountains and visit the historic city of Qufu, the hometown of Confucius. You will explore Shanghai, one of the world’s most populous city, for three days, where you will visit sites such as Yuyuan Garden, Old City, and Longhua Buddhist Temple.
Travel by train to Inner Mongolia, where you’ll see the sun rise over the grasslands, taste Mongolian food, and learn about Mongolian culture. Travel to Chengde, where you will take Mandarin Chinese lessons.

• Language
  • Rugged Travel
  • Community Service
  • Camping
  • Homestay

Maia

Nothing I Could Have Done Alone

The Experiment is a program that many people at my school who are interested in this sort of program choose. During the entire application process, I had some one to help me who could respond quickly to emails and questions. They make the program very accessible. There wasn't any sort of language prerequisite to the program, but even people who were particularly interested in China enjoyed the program. The leaders were very flexible and offered any help we needed as well as listening to any input we had during the trip. If we as a group decided we could change something to make the trip go smoother or make people enjoy things more, they were receptive and did what they could. I did so many amazing activities like hiking mountains, riding horse, and bargaining in the markets of Shanghai. We had a leader who was from China and knew the areas well. He helped guide us through difficult situations and gave advice in how to handle things like overpriced scams. Going to China and being offered to practice my Chinese speaking and listening comprehension with native speakers had improved my Chinese Immensely. We were also given many chances to take charge and choose where we wanted to visit in cities as well as some guided tours. This has helped me gain confidence in navigating public transportation and time management. EIL has made this awesome trip available to so many through scholarships and I made so many memories thank to that.

There could be more formal classes in Chinese while in China or a stronger focus on improving the language for those who want it.
Katie

An Experience Like No Other

This Northern China study abroad trip was one of the best experiences of my life. It made me realize that the best way to travel is to be immersed into the culture completely. I loved exploring different parts of China and learning their way of life. It was so different from what I was used to, which is what made it so amazing. I enjoyed communicating with locals and learning about China's extensive history from all the sites we visited. The host families I had were also so kind and welcoming and I am so glad I had the opportunity to make memories with them. I never once felt unsafe during this trip, and I owe it to EIL for giving me this wonderful opportunity. I will always cherish the memories I made with my group and others in China. I have made best friends for life and would 10/10 recommend EIL for studying abroad.

Vei Vei

Watch Me Whip, Watch Me Nae Nae...In China

My favorite memory of my China experience is when my group in the grasslands of Inner Mongolia, China. We were playing a very intense game of Mafia that came to an abrupt end when we collectively decided to participate in one of the many bonfires that always took place during the night time. There was dancing, singing, and a lot of loud traditional Mongolian/Chinese music being played. I found the fact that there were no "real" bathrooms or showers but there was a top-notch stereo system with music that came from an exquisite Mac computer very interesting. We wanted to see if we could play some American music. Naturally because I was the only North American in that moment who was there and could somewhat speak Chinese, I was forced to communicate with the leaders of the activity. Thankfully, I stumbled upon a man who spoke enough of both English and Chinese to help me translate. It just so happened that their technology and a borrowed Beats headphones cord worked with another borrowed iPhone. So we were all really scared and nervous, being in such a different world, essentially asking to do something never done before, temporarily pausing a very long-standing tradition. As we were standing, all of a sudden we heard "YOU ALREADY KNOW WHAT IT IS!!!", and we sporadically yet simultaneously freaked out while also making our way to the bonfire. We surrounded the fire, which was located in the middle of all these strangers, and began dancing like we were getting a million bucks the next day. That, is a memory that will last my all of my days.

The volunteers or leaders could be trained to be slightly nicer in situations-I know we're all human, but it is nice to have someone to look up to or talk to every once in a while.
Vei Vei

My Trip to Northern China

Dear Readers,
E.I.L. is a wonderful organization that has afforded me wonderful opportunities from which I have extracted endless lessons and experiences. Going to China was a desire of mine, and this summer I was able to entertain that desire in more ways than I could have ever imagined. I went to Tiananmen Square and the Forbidden City, The Great Wall of China-you name it. In addition to fantastic sights, I indulged in Chinese immersion through language, food, culture, and community. I will never take for granted the trip to Asia that has forever changed my life, and I hope many people in the future will be able to say that as well.

Yours Truly,
A Content Experimentor

If you could please be pickier with who I chose to lead these trips.

About The Experiment in International Living

The Experiment in International Living provides 3-, 4-, and 5-week summer programs for high school students who want to connect deeply and engage meaningfully with the richness and complexities of another country.

Programs equip students not only...