Spain: Spanish Language & Culture

Begin your journey in Madrid, exploring famous sites, museums, and neighborhoods while sampling local food. Travel to the province of Andalucía and dive into Spanish language classes.

This program has two language groups. Group One has language training in Granada, where the group will attend exclusive classes divided by language and learn through music, film, city scavenger hunts, and field trips. Group Two has language classes and arts training in Guadix. This group will practice Spanish with classes in ceramics, theater, and flamenco. Students will learn about Romani culture and practice their flamenco with local community members. Both groups explore Granada, including the Alhambra palace, city gardens, and local museums.

Your immersion continues with a homestay, where you will visit local markets, beaches, and cafés with a host family. Experience Spain’s outdoors while trekking along a river and canoeing. Return to Madrid for final language practice.

• Language
  • Arts
  • Culinary
  • Water Activity
  • Homestay

Kelvin

Best time ever

The trip overall was the best thing that has ever happened to me. I got to meet the most amazing people from all around the U.S and Spain. I feel so lucky to have met them. We all created such a great bond with each other. They have become some of my best friends for life. Same goes with the group leaders. They were so kind and nice to all of us and always made sure that we were having fun and safe. I miss them more and more everyday. We are all planning on meeting up again. I was really surprised of how much I immersed into the culture. This trip has made me feel more confident to meet new people and try new things. I will always cherish the memories I I have about this trip. If I could do this trip all over again. I would. I am so grateful for such an amazing experience.

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
I would have to say the most nerve-racking part of the trip was the homestay. I am personally very timid when meeting now people. So I was a bit anxious, but as my stay went on I became in love with my family. They were so sweet and kind. They always made sure I was having a good time and safe.
Nicole

Amazing: Would not take it back

I had such an amazing time abroad. Coming in, I was admittedly nervous, but I have never met a more supportive, kind group in my life. We were all so enthusiastic and willing to learn and explore, and the group leaders were so kind and really ensured that we had fun. The scheduled activities ensured that we found out the history and were showed some classic sites, while the freedom allowed for us to travel in small groups and live like locals, finding miradors around the cities, finding places to buy souvenirs, or just to buy snacks. I made new best friends, whether it be with spaniards or with americans in my group. I will forever have a group of people that shared this amazing experience with me, and i will forever keep them in my life. I can't wait to go back some time.

I wouldn't change anything. It was honestly so amazing.
Citlalli

Most Memorable Month of my life

This program allowed me to have the most amazing summer of my life. The leaders were amazing people who were so helpful, fun, and loving. They wanted to make sure we had a great time and they really succeeded. The experience was shared with an awesome group of other teenagers. We all shared our memories together and we became close super quickly. Overall, The Experiment does everything they can to ensure we really enjoy our trip. I highly recommend. Spain is amazing and it is so great to be able to make memories with some of your new best friends. The experience was overall amazing and I would recommend it to anybody who has never traveled overseas. It was my first time travelling overseas and I'm so glad I did it with The Experiment. Nothing could have been better for first travellers.

I do not think I would change a single thing about this trip.
Claire

Without a doubt the best month of my life.

During my time in Spain I was deeply immersed in a culture which held little in common with what I had been living my whole life. This allowed to both my mind and my heart to open in ways that could not be possible by staying in the United States forever. The country itself was almost as beautiful as the people living within it who opened their arms to me without a second thought. I was overwhelmed by the mesmerizing scenery, the fascinating history, and the intricate language which filled every street. My group leaders never once failed to give me and the rest of my group anything less than an awesome experience. The in-country partners were just as organized and intelligent, enabling me and my group to receive education and inclusion way beyond what we would ever get as simple tourists. My host family were incredibly kind, caring, and funny, and my time with them flew by. Never did I have doubts or feel unsafe during this trip. Every single aspect and every single detail allowed me to grow and form new appreciation for the world and for life. Because of this trip I now feel as though I have a second home and a second family, neither of which I will ever forget.

GO FOR IT! Take chances whenever you can. Try everything and talk to everyone. The more people you meet and connect with the more you grow and learn and become better. Also; don't be afraid to pack some cute clothes because I didn't and I regretted it big time.
Fiona

Becoming One With The Culture

My experience was unique because I learned how to live in the moment and let myself be a part of the culture instead of only observing it from a distance. Because I let myself be emersed into Spanish culture it allowed for me to have a stronger bond with my host family. I began adapting to their household norms and behavioral norms such as the cheek to cheek kiss greeting. If I were to give any advice to any newcomers to the program would be to stay away from your phone as much as you can. You will see beautiful views but sometimes it's better to just observe the scene through fresh eyes instead of through a camera lens or phone screen. I also recommend giving yourself time every day to reflect on your journey and journal about it. I found that writing down what I did each day very helpful because I have a horrible memory and it will be something you can always look back on in the future. Applying for this program was one of the best things I could have done for myself so I highly recommend traveling with The Experiment of International Living.

If I were to improve one thing about this program it would be the social scene within the group. I think that frequent changes within groups that break off for dinner and such would be more beneficial for the social aspect of the trip because the students get to become closer with the entire group instead of just a few people. I think this would prevent anyone from feeling excluded and isolated from the rest of the group.
Rachel

Amazing Trip

Activities were very enjoyable and helped the group become closer and work together. The classes we took were pleasant and fun. The host family made me feel comfortable and included me in all of their activities and made me feel as if I was back in Florida. They made me feel comfortable. The group leaders made me feel safe and made sure I was feeling okay considering my dietary needs. My overall experience could not have gone any better than it did.

My experience couldn't have gone any better.
Tiffany

Best Summer Ever

Going to Spain with the Experiment was the best decision of my life. Not only was I able to understand the Spanish culture and language but i was also immersed in courses where I learned Spanish, ceramics, and flamenco dancing. I was able to do tours of authentic places in Spain where the tourist population is minimal to none. I felt like doing this i was able to have a better experience and understanding of the Spanish culture and improved my Spanish because I was forced to communicate by speaking only Spanish. I was also able to make friends who are now like family to me and I consider like my brothers and siblings. There is nothing I would want to change about my experience and the program.

This program can be improved by the group leaders giving more heads up of what the day's activity would be so that a student can dress more accordingly to the activity.
Nathan

The Experience of a Lifetime!

This program was so much more than a simple trip abroad. From living with a wonderful, caring, and supportive host family to making countless connections with locals and fellow Experimenters alike, this experience was truly one that I will never forget. Despite previous travels abroad, this experience allowed me to completely immerse myself in a foreign culture more fully than any opportunity that I had had before. It was truly amazing to be able to meet local Spaniards and create unique, memorable friendships with them while learning about Spain’s beautiful language and culture. However, I still believe that the best part of this experience was the ability to live with a host family for an entire week and a half. Although the availability of this aspect of traveling abroad is harder to find nowadays, it is, in my opinion, what made this trip so unbelievable. During this time period, my Spanish skills improved remarkably and I made unforgettable personal connections with my host family and their friends which will undoubtedly last a lifetime. All in all, my participation in this program has provided me with indescribably precious memories and friendships that I am sure to treasure for the rest of my life.