Colombia’s diverse, vibrant lifestyle is influenced by its indigenous, African, and European heritage. On this two-week Global Prep program, you and your group will explore the country’s dynamic culture, starting with the city of Popayan, which offers ornate churches, colorful markets, and fascinating archeological sites. You’ll also have the chance to venture into Colombia’s lush natural landscape and take part in activities like horseback riding and hiking. By living with a local host family, you’ll truly become a part of Colombian daily life as you share conversations and cultural insights around the dinner table.
- Immerse yourself in Spanish – the best way to develop your foreign language skills.
- Make connections and memories you'll never forget with other AFS exchange students from all over the world.
- Live with a host family to deepen your immersion and connection to Colombian culture. If you’re like most AFSers, you won’t want to leave this second family and home.
- You and your group will spend a few days at the Puracé National Park, where you can visit natural wonders like hot springs and towering volcanos!
- Become a global citizen. Gain intercultural communication skills. Build your college and career resume. Help create a more peaceful, understanding world.
AFS-USA Grants & Scholarships
The opportunity to study abroad should be available to everyone, regardless of their financial means. Annually, we award scholarships to about half of our study abroad students.