Costa Rica is the place of pura vida (pure life), a contagious attitude of living life to the fullest. And it shows–Costa Rica is the world's happiest country according to the Happy Planet index. A peaceful country with no standing army, Costa Rica has a long democratic tradition. Democracy, peace, and political freedom are often mentioned as their greatest blessings.
Our summer high school study abroad in Costa Rica is packed with an immersive homestay and high school experience, an unbelievable tour of this stunning land, and the option of including two weeks of intensive Spanish language learning in the mountains! This is your chance to make lifelong friends across cultures and become a member of a Costa Rican community, all in one summer!
- Immerse yourself in the Spanish language - the best way to become fluent in the second most-spoken language in the world.
- Attend a language school perched in the mountains of the Cartago province in an amazing agroecological farm!
- Spend five-weeks living with a host family and integrating into Costa Rican culture.
- Make connections and memories you'll never forget with other AFS exchange students from all over the world.
- Become a global citizen. Gain intercultural communication skills. Build your college and career resume. Help create a more peaceful, understanding world.
AFS-USA Grants & Scholarships
The opportunity to study abroad should be available to everyone, regardless of their financial means. Annually, we award scholarships to about half of our study abroad students.