Ecuador is one of our favorite countries to visit. It is the most biodiverse place on the planet by many measures, with beautiful Pacific beaches, the majestic Andes mountains, and Amazonian rainforest all packed into a country about the size of Colorado. Plus, you've got the otherworldly Galapagos Islands, too. on an exploration of the global food system!
Sustainable Summer offers three different programs in Ecuador: Our 2-week Sustaining the Amazon program explores economic development and natural resource extraction in Ecuador's Oriente; our 3-week Seeds of Change program is focused on food and agriculture; and our 2-week Galapagos program is the popular choice for the budding ecologists and wildlife scientists among our student population.
Take a look at our website to see which Ecuador program is best for your interests and objectives.
- Learning the principles of permaculture and the politics of seed saving.
- Snorkeling with white-tip sharks and Galapagos penguins at Bartoleme Island.
- Rafting the mighty whitewater of the Rio Jatunyacu.
- Trips to the chakras, the ‘forest gardens’ of the indigenous Kichwa people.
- Environmental leadership courses through a collaborative, multidisciplinary, challenge-based learning approach.