Summer Volunteer Program in the Galapagos (Ecuador)

Program Highlight!

A full spectrum of Chinese adventure awaits, as complex as the country itself. Hike the Great Wall of China and experience Mandarin immersion and language classes on our China: Mandarin Service Adventure program!

Come experience one of the most pristine natural environments where conservationists are working to protect this unique ecosystem.

Program Highlights
- Volunteer to restore the habitat of native Galapagos wildlife
- Snorkel with sea lions, turtles and blue-footed boobies nearby
- Wander the cobblestone streets of colonial Quito

• Program Selection 9.3
  • Pre-departure Help 8.7
  • In-program Support 9.3
  • Impact on Student 8.7
Pam

Global Leadership Adventures

Review part 2
My daughter, traveled to Ecuador, and Galapagos the summer of 2017.
She had an amazing trip and now is taking her second GLA trip this spring break 2018. GLA staff was great. I recommend GLA for teens who are independent, spirited and looking for a way to give back to the world. It was a truly amazing experience that has changed her for the better.
Pam Prast, mother of 15 year old traveler.

Its awesome!
Pam

Global Leadership Adventures

My daughter traveled to Ecuador and Galapagos the summer of 2017.
She had an amazing trip and now is taking her second GLA trip this spring break 2018. GLA staff was great. I recommend GLA for teens who are independent, spirited and looking for a way to give back to the world. Although I am just a parent and didn't get to go myself it was amazing to see the oppuertunity spark her interest.
Pam Prast mother of 15 year old traveler.

Ella

GLA Galapagos

This summer I spent two weeks with amazing staff, students, and guides on the beautiful islands that are the Galapagos. This experience was my first time traveling alone, and i have to say it couldn't have been better. Everyday we would do community service work, with purpose and pride, just like the staff had taught us. We also got to experience the culture and beautify of these islands though many fun activities like hiking, snorkeling, beach walks, spending time in the town, and more. The staff had extensive knowledge and were more than willing to answer questions, goof around, and participate with students. Future participants be aware, you will come back changed. Seeing one of the last places on earth that is virtually untouched will change you, it changed me. To see how elegant nature is without human interaction has made me want to fight even more to protect it. I cam home wondering what more I could do, and swear of the impact my everyday actions have. This trip will change you, and 100% of that is for the better.

It's far too short. I would love to spend even more time with these amazing people in such an amazing place.
Kate

Global Leadership Adventures: Galapagos

I travelled to Ecuador and the Galapagos in 2016 with Global Leadership Adventures, and truly had the most memorable time. I was incredibly nervous to embark on the journey to South America without my family, but ultimately it was the best decision. My group of 20 students immediately clicked, and we became like family within days. The mentors were so knowledgeable, and always willing to help us out in any way we needed. Our in-country experts (tour guides, naturalists etc.) were such genuine people, always eager to answer our many questions and teach us more about their beloved country. Some of my favorite memories from my trip include: summiting the Sierra Negra volcano on a 14 mile hike (8 long, hours), snorkeling right next to baby (and adult) sea lions, cooking authentic Ecuadorian foods and spending long nights sharing stories and playing games in the hammocks at our homebase. I also really enjoyed the fact that I was able to practice my Spanish skills, everyday! I absolutely adore Spanish class in school now, because it always reminds me of the amazing experiences I had while traveling with GLA! I loved my trip so much that I travelled with GLA again to Bali this past summer, on their Land of Discovery program! Don't have enough great things to say about their organization.

Make it longer! While 2 weeks was perfect for my first trip, I only wished I could have stayed there for more time!
Dawn

From Fear and Trepidation to Relief and Satisfaction

It was with great anxiety that we sent our daughter last summer (2016) on her Global Leadership Adventures trip to Ecuador and the Galapagos Islands for the Preserving Nature's Wonders program. But it was soon apparent that it was the very best decision we could have made for her! Communication was immediate and sufficient throughout the trip. We were able to speak with our daughter on several occasions, most importantly when they first arrived safely in Ecuador. The excitement and pure joy we could hear in her voice was music to our ears and the enjoyment the group was having was evident in the daily updated blogs the program provided. But we still were not prepared for the incredible transformation we witnesses when we picked her up from the airport. The shy, quiet 16 year old we had dropped off just two weeks prior, was now confident and full of self-esteem! And oh how happy she was! The only sadness felt was that she had to say good-bye to the friends she had made and have come to mean so much to her. It has now been nearly a year since she had this incredible experience and she is still in daily contact with many of these new friends. I am so proud of the service work she completed on this trip and how it has changed her into a thoughtful, thinking young person who truly has compassion for the world around her.

As a parent, the only thing I can think of to improve upon this program would be more frequent communication through the blogs. However I do understand how busy the days and nights are on a trip such as this and realize that the updates can sometimes be difficult. It was exiting to get the new blog updates, but also reasurring that all was well with our daughter!
Maggie

Truly the Experience of a Lifetime

I was fortunate enough to travel to Ecuador and the Galapagos Islands though Global Leadership Adventures on the "Preserving Natures Wonders" trip during the summer of 2016. This program was honestly one of the greatest experiences of my life. It was unique in that I was able to surround myself in one of the worlds most special ecosystems as I snorkeled with sea lions, sea turtles and many tropical fish, saw countless crabs and iguanas, and was able to meet the Galapagos tortoises up close. What made these experiences with the animals and nature of the Galapagos even more impactful, was the fact that I was able to volunteer and help the land I was visiting. On this program everyone was very kind and I am still friends with many of the other kids that I met to this day. Our mentors were very helpful and made sure that everyone felt and was kept safe throughout the trip. Post program, I was impacted mostly by the friendships I had made and the knowledge that I now had regarding conservation and the importance of it. Some useful tips that I have are to bring snacks along if you have any dietary restrictions. I am vegan and the program was very accommodating so I didn't miss out on many of the delicious foods that they served, but bringing along snacks was very helpful. Another tip is to bring a camera along and to keep a journal because there are so many memories that will be made on a trip like this, and since many activities are packed into one day, it is easy to lose some of them. I took many pictures and journaled every day so now I have something to look back on.

I honestly cannot think of many things that I would change about this program. It really was a good experience for me, traveling went smoothly, my group was great, and we all had tons of fun in our two weeks.
Patti

Parent Review

I sent my two daughters on Global Leadership Adventure's "Preserving Nature's Wonders" trip last summer, and I could not have had a better experience with them. I was a little nervous about the idea of sending my two young girls out of the country without either parent, but GLA eased all my worries. From the very start, we had helpful staff keeping us updated on the necessary preparations for our trip. GLA made the entire process really easy and helped me feel better about the trip. My girls were safe the whole time, and they had incredible mentors with them on the trip. They both came home with a new outlook on the world, and I know GLA has truly changed their lives. I highly recommend this program to any parent and teenager looking to volunteer abroad.

Carolyn

Galapagos trip for teens

Two of my daughters went on the Global Leadership Adventure's Galapagos trip last summer. I'm beyond grateful for this program, my kids were completely safe and they enjoyed every minute of it. The stories they came back with still manage to amaze me! The staff made the process easy and stress free. I definitely recommend GLA to any parent who wants to send their child on an eventful volunteer trip abroad.

Serena

Galapagos 2016

My experience with Global Leadership Adventures has been one I'll remember forever. The program that I was a part of (Galapagos) was very well structured. We got to kayak, snorkel, climb volcanoes, and more. We were always busy and had a great itinerary full of service and adventures. There was never a moment when we were bored. We cleared out invasive species, talked to the locals and the children, and played a ton of soccer which I made a fool of myself doing so, but it was all part of the fun!
The food was amazing and the housing conditions were rustic but an adventure. The staff was great - they were all so fun and relatable but were able to be great role models as well.
My parents were very reluctant to let me go on this trip when I proposed the idea. They had never sent one of their kids to a foreign country alone before. However, they became much more comfortable with the idea after talking to the welcoming and assuring staff who were more than happy to explain everything about the trip, from safety to fun.
I still miss this trip- one of the best experiences ever of my life. Would definitely recommend!! GLA offers such a friendly environment.

Thomas

Galapagos 2016

Our daughter went on the GLA trip to Galapagos in July 2016. It was truly a remarkable fun-filled adventure that enriched her leadership and social skills and provided an acute awareness of our fragile environment. Snorkeling amongst the sea lions, turtles, climbing volcanoes and learning about exotic species such as the giant tortoise were just some of the highlights. The program attracts outstanding, intellectual students from around the globe whom our daughter still stays in touch with.

As a parent, I was particularly impressed with GLA's organization and caliper of their trip leaders. We felt safe and secure on trip arrangements and it was comforting to receive daily briefings and photos from the students.

The GLA program is second to none on their organization, adventure and mentorship.

Shorten overland travel between sites or increase the length of the trip.
Rebecca

Life Changing Experience!

Last summer I spent two incredible weeks in Ecuador and the Galapagos Islands on Global Leadership Adventure's "Preserving Nature's Wonders" trip. I went on this trip along with my sister and we both had a wonderful time. Before the trip, GLA staff helped what could've been a very stressful process run smoothly. The connected me with a program to book my flights with ease, and I had all the information I needed to prepare for my trip. Once I was in Ecuador, my mentors were both friendly and knowledgeable about the islands. I never once felt unsafe. I got the opportunity to get involved in very rewarding service all while exploring one of the most unique places on earth. I worked alongside giant tortoises and snorkeled next to sea lions and sea turtles. This is an experience unlike any other, and if you are a student who is interested in sustainability, preservation, or animals, this is the trip for you!

Response from Global Leadership Adventures (GLA)

Thank you for sharing your takeaways from your volunteering experience in Ecuador and the Galapagos. We're so glad you and your sister had an amazing time and made lifetime friends and memories with GLA.

Sarah

Best experience ever!

Last summer I went on GLA's Galapagos 2-week summer program. It was an amazing life-changing experience! I met many new friends and learned so much about the environment and what it takes to conserve our fragile earth. Through this experience, I have become more conscious about my environmental impact and how I can make a difference. I highly recommend this program to any student who is willing to go out of their comfort zone in order to expand their horizons about the world and how you can make a difference!

Oriana

Amazing Experience

Traveling to Ecuador and the Galapagos Islands with Global Leadership Adventures was a truly awesome experience. The stories and memories I have from this trip are ones I will appreciate forever. I would absolutely recommend it to anyone considering volunteering abroad. I met so many great people and I learned a lot about myself. I'm so glad I had the opportunity to volunteer with GLA because it helped me learn what it is like to travel overseas and abroad for a couple of weeks, and I always felt safe.

The only way this program could be better was if it was longer.
Maggie

Galapagoing to have fun!!!

After going on three adventures with GLA (Guatemala, Galapagos and Costa Rica), I can say that if you’re looking for a physically challenging, rewarding and purposeful program, the Galapagos adventure is the one for you.

Galapagos was the most culturally immersive program and I got so much out of it. The local guide was very knowledgable, and I not only learned about the Galapagos Islands and their history, but also that of Ecuador as well.

At the home bases, I truly felt welcomed. Everyone always had a smile on his/her face, and it was a great start to every day. The food was amazing everywhere! We snorkeled at some pristine locations where nothing could’ve made my experience better; we were lucky enough to even see a sea turtle lay her eggs!

The service on this program was pretty tiring, yet so enjoyable that I was always motivated to keep going further than our goal. The best thing about the service was when the locals would join us and help out, demonstrating just how close a community these small islands are. When leaving the islands, I felt like I just came out of a dream. I couldn’t believe I was able to bike, kayak, hike and swim next to all of these exotic animals and gorgeous landscapes.

After the program, I definitely felt changed and more confident about myself. Many times I thought that I couldn’t handle something, but I was able to overcome my fears. I made many strong friendships with people around the world from this program, including the mentors, directors and locals, who were a big part of my experience and truly made it the adventure of a lifetime for me.

The only thing I would change about this program is the length. While GLA says “14” days, it is really “10” days when you’re actually in Quito or an island, and not traveling. I would have rather preferred 21 days, but it is what you make it and I was able to create forever lasting memories in the end!!
Ananya

My Experience in the Galapagos

This summer, I visited Ecuador and the Galapagos for 2 weeks with GLA. It was a truly rewarding experience- I met so many amazing people that I bonded with, and I did a lot of things (such as volunteer in a giant tortoise preserve) that I could not have done anywhere else in the world.
A highlight of my trip was swimming with sea lions. In the Galapagos, wild sea lions would approach us and swim circles around us while we were snorkeling. Even though it happened pretty frequently during our snorkeling expeditions, playing with wild sea lions never stopped being amazing.
Going through this program is a great experience, and I would recommend it to everyone. The Galapagos is beautiful and wild and completely unparalleled, and this program allows us to experience it to the fullest.

About Global Leadership Adventures (GLA)

With a history and heritage in global education, Global Leadership Adventures packs our itineraries with leadership development, volunteering and the delight of taking learning off the beaten path. Our unique program design produces what many...