Ecuador/Galapagos Marine Service & Adventure

Ecuador/Galapagos Marine Service & Adventure

This year we are offering a Galapagos focused program. There will be expansive experience working with Marine life and biology. The Galapagos is one of the best places in the world to do this kind of service! Community service is at the heart of every Global Works trip and students earn 10 community service hours through building playgrounds for a hospital that serves handicapped children, helping improve infrastructure for community economic development projects, assisting in sustainable agriculture initiatives, and working on reforestation and wildlife preservation projects.

South America » Ecuador » Galapagos
South America » Ecuador
Program Categories
Adventure Travel
Hotel

Juliana
New York

My Summer Adventure in The Galapagos Islands

Going on a trip to another country without my family was something I had never done before this trip with Global Works and I am so thankful I did. This trip was one of the most amazing and memorable experiences I have ever had, and I tried so many new things. I snorkeled for the first time, and swam with so many really cool sea creatures including sharks which had previously been a fear of mine. I had thought I would miss my family but my trip leaders, Jason and Katie, were awesome and so much fun. While on the Galapagos Islands, I was a boat, bus, and plane ride away from home, but my trip leaders and the island guides not only made me feel safe, but were a great support system throughout the trip. My time on this trip was spent making a ton of new friends from all over the United States, many of whom I'm still in touch with now. There was never a boring moment on the trip. We had incredible activities planned everyday, most of which I wouldn't be able to do anywhere else in the world, and we wrote about them and posted online each day (with photos) so our families could see all the fun we were having. The first day we went to Papallacta's natural hot springs (another first for me), which was very relaxing, and later on, we hiked up the Sierra Negra volcano - which made for some incredible photos. While the trip was full of expeditions and trips all over the islands, we also did volunteer work on the island of Isabela to help the local community and the tortoises. Our group stayed and worked at Campo Duro where we cleared and weeded a large area in the tortoise paddock. We also did some weeding in the large organic garden where they grow many of the vegetables served for meals to the group. There was a huge field in between all of the tents we stayed in, and when we weren't working, we played cards and spent time around a fire laughing and telling stories. (Tip: remember to pack cards and small, fun games.) While all of this was incredibly fun, my most memorable experience was our last day of snorkeling. After getting wetsuits and snorkeling gear, we took a boat ride to go to our final activity. Once I remembered how to zip up my suit (which I may have gotten a little help to do) we jumped off the boat and began swimming around to spot the many different animals. In the end, our group saw a sea horse, stingrays, sharks, a penguin, fish that seemed to glow, and many, many sea turtles. These animals swam right past me and some even right next to me. They were unaffected by our presence, and I had never seen anything like it. The water temperature was just right at 72F, and the weather was perfect the entire 10 days I spent there. I won't ever forget this experience, especially because I really was able to put to use my years of Spanish classes. We spoke Spanish often - with our trip leaders and guides, people in the communities we worked and stayed with, shopkeepers in Quito and with each other. It was an awesome feeling to know that my school Spanish was actually pretty good - and at times a bit embarrassing, which just added to the stories and laughter! I am so grateful to have had this opportunity to experience Ecuador's culture and highly recommend the Galapagos Island trip with Global Works.

Before the trip we were provided a packing list, however, towels was not on the list. Because of the amount of water activities we do, I would have brought at least one, if not two, towels with me just for the activities, separate from your showering towel. I also would have liked to have had more chances to interact with the locals.

Rachel
Boulder

Trip of a LIFETIME

I've done a fair bit of traveling with my family, and while those experiences were enjoyable, this program was the most memorable trip I've ever taken. From the trip leaders- who were supportive, relaxed, and pretty good with dealing with twenty teenagers- to the activities we did, the entire program was incredible. I met wonderful people just like me from all around the country (and abroad!) who I made lasting friendships and memories with. The trip was a perfect balance of education, service, and fun- from the incredible snorkeling to building a community garden. My only regret about this trip was not taking another sooner!

I can't think of anything that would've made my trip better, the whole experience was pretty close to perfect.

For more than 27 years, Global Works has been an industry leader in community service-based adventure travel programs for high school students and custom group trips. Much more than a vacation, Global Works international trips are the bridge for meaningful cultural exchange with people around