Puerto Rico Cultural Exchange and Service Adventure

Puerto Rico palm tree in front of a sunset
Puerto Rico palm tree in front of a sunset

Roll up your sleeves this summer for a hands-on service trip and Hurricane Maria relief effort. Home construction service work is the heart of this program, with projects designed for and with local families. Practice Spanish and learn about local customs while working alongside welcoming community members in need. Take a break from projects to relax on the beach and explore the colorful streets of Old San Juan.

Hi Elsa! There is no Spanish required for our Puerto Rico programs. There is opportunity to practice it, but you can get by just fine without it. If you choose to do one of our homestay programs, it helps to have had a year or two of Spanish, but, again, it's not required. Hope this helps!

Thanks for your interest in Global Works! Our tuition for this Puerto Rico program is $2,395, which includes all on the ground costs (lodging, food, activities, etc.). Let us know if you have any other questions!

Benjamin

Best Trip Ever!

Before my trip I was nervous and did not know what to expect. I personally think it helped being on the group flight because I had already met people before we arrived at the iconic Big Yellow House. I never expected the trip to have such an impact on me. The group became a big family after the first day. The people we helped had open arms and I am very grateful for that. The counselors were great and I personally think they contributed to such a great trip. All of the kids I was with were great people and fun to be around. I’ve formed life long friendships and hope to see everyone in the near future.
Although we worked hard on the trip, I enjoyed having time off to explore other parts of Puerto Rico and enjoyed learning to salsa dance with my new friends.

The advice I would give to a future traveler is to keep an open mind. Most of the kids in my group had never done a trip like this before so we were all in the same boat. You should remember to keep and open mind and expect to be pushed out of your comfort zone. You won’t regret going on this trip!
Hannah

Simply amazing

This was one of the best things I’ve ever experienced. I made great friends and met so many others. The counselors were fun, supportive, responsible, approachable and so much more. The people we worked with were so kind and understanding. I went in a group of 34 students which is pretty big so I was worried about the dynamic of the trip. But it turns out there was nothing to worry about! The group leaders adjusted and made sure everyone had everything they could possibly need. They have us jobs and made sure everyone knew what to do and where to be. We came in with open minds and made so many friends. Everyone got along for the most part and we weee one huge family by the end of the week. My one regret is that it was only a week and I wish we could stay for longer. I’ll remember this till the day I die and I will cherish it in my heart. The hardest part of this trip was saying bye to my friends, leaders, and the people we worked with. Up until we left I enjoyed every minute of my week in Puerto Rico! I hope to go back next year and help some more. I strongly suggest going on a service trip with Global Works. I know I got lucky with how great my group got along but regardless, you won’t regret it.

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
The most surprising thing about this trip was that even though the people of Puerto Rico lost so much, they are eternally greatfull for what they do have. The people I worked with have the strongest since of family and community and it touched my heart in so many ways. ❤️❤️
Emma

My honest thoughts about the trip

I was very nervous coming in. I had signed up alone and although I thought community service was important, I did not always enjoy it because I did not get to see what an impact it made. This trip changed everything! It started off by getting to know everybody and getting a walking tour of Old San Juan. The next few days we went into a community where they didn't know English and we mixed cement to make floors, walls, roofs and stairs for various houses. I'm not going to lie... If I never have to mix cement again, I will be very happy. My favorite part was hearing the stories of the people we were helping and getting to see the way it would change their lives forever. After that we got to zip lining on our way to the next location. That was a great view and a nice break from the hard work. At our next location we flattened rocks and dirt to make at flat road for the people to receive supplies for their forest preservation group. We also weeded out a huge area to create a tree nursery. This location was not my favorite of living quarters but I dealt with it. One night we got to go to the bioluminescent bay. It was one of the coolest things you will ever see! At night the water appears to glow from creatures in it. While you can't swim in it, it was still cool to dip hands and feet. I don't why this isn't one of the 7 wonders of the world. In our final location we got a trolley tour of a different city that had a lot of history. I'm not a huge history person but it was so cool to realize how old and strong the buildings are. Plus in both tour locations there is an opportunity to shop! For our final service project we reprinted some houses with chipped paint. Everybody had a blast doing it! For the last couple of days we stayed on a catamaran. It was soooooo much fun and a great time to bond with people! I became friends with every single person on the trip and we all cried when we had to leave. :( we still keep in touch and have had reunions to see each other. It was great forming bonds with all of these people and I came out with a new group of friends. Two weeks may seem like a long time but it was the shortest two weeks of my life in Puerto Rico. I loved this trip and would highly recommend it to anybody who likes to have fun and help others!

The packing list. Some things that were listed were unnecessary while others I wish I had more of (clothes)!