Egypt, the "cradle of civilization," embraces a unique mix of modern Islam and Christianity, Middle Eastern folk cultures, and Western culture. Because ninety percent of Egypt is desert, almost everyone lives close to the Nile. In sprawling, cacophonous Cairo, robes are as common as Levis, donkeys share roadways with BMWs, and buildings made of mud stand next to glass-and-steel high-rises.
By attending a local high school and living with a host family, you will be fully immersed in Egyptian society and culture. Throughout the year, you might also visit amazing cultural sites like the Pyramids of Giza and the Nile River. Get ready for an experience unlike any other! Egypt is an ideal place to step outside of your comfort zone, become a cultural insider, and engage in an exciting new adventure.
Summer Language: This four-week program is designed to provide an intensive introduction to the Arabic language through immersion in Egyptian culture. You will live with an Egyptian host family, attend Arabic language classes, and travel with fellow AFS students to cultural and historic sites around the country. Receive intensive language training in a classroom environment during the day, then put it to use immediately through everyday interactions in your community and meals at home with your host family.
Generally speaking, life outside the country's major cities is in keeping with tradition, where communities are more patriarchal and family ties are very strong. Most families in urban areas live in apartments. The program includes 60 hours of Arabic language class (3 hours per day, 5 days per week, for 4 weeks), all taught by certified language instructors. These classes are offered exclusively to AFS students. Beginner Arabic speakers are welcome. Class size varies by language level but will be approximately 10 students per class.
- Immerse yourself in Arabic – the best way to become fluent.
- Sample elaborate Egyptian feasts including falafel, fried chickpea balls, and koshary, a dish of rice and lentils.
- Live with a host family to deepen your immersion and connection to Egyptian culture. If you’re like most AFSers, you won’t want to leave this second family and home.
- Make connections and memories you'll never forget with other AFS exchange students from all over the world.
- Become a global citizen. Gain intercultural communication skills. Build your college and career resume. Help create a more peaceful, understanding world.