Germany is a world of majestic palaces, charming villages, and cutting-edge cities brimming with cosmopolitan delights. Known as the land of “Dichter und Denker” (poets and thinkers), Germany is an epicenter of artistic innovation and thought-provoking conversations. Famous for world-class musicians like Wagner and Bach, opera, theater, and classical music are popular, easily-accessible, and inexpensive.
Develop fluency in the German language and cultures by staying with a host family and attending a local high school. Germany’s reputation for quality and efficiency means you’ll likely attend a well-organized, competitive German high school, where you’ll be able to learn the language and experience life as a German teenager. You’ll be a vital part of your host family and community. With so many intellectual pursuits in store, you’re sure to have a thrilling, transformative, and educational exchange year!
- Immerse yourself in the German language - the best way to become fluent.
- Live with a host family to deepen your immersion and connection to German culture. If you’re like most AFSers, you won’t want to leave this second family and home.
- Scale or ski the Bavarian Alps! Marvel at medieval fortresses or Renaissance palaces recently converted into modern hotels, restaurants, or museums.
- Make connections and memories you'll never forget with other AFS exchange students from all over the world.
- • Become a global citizen. Gain intercultural communication skills. Build your college and career resume. Help create a more peaceful, understanding world.