Live with a host family and attend a local Ghanaian high school, while getting the unique experience of engaging in a community service project over the course of your year. Become a part of your community through activities like helping in an orphanage, assisting in HIV/AIDS awareness programs, or studying traditional song and dance. During this program, you will get to choose a community service project as an after-school activity. Projects might be studying traditional symbols and artifacts, proverbs, traditional songs and folklore; assisting in orphanages; participating in community projects, gender programs and HIV/AIDS awareness programs. In both urban and rural areas, teen life is highly influenced by traditional culture, but Western culture plays a role in TV, movies and music. Teenagers in Ghana often hang out outside the home, playing sports, board games and cards.
- Enjoy Ghana's laid-back, unrushed approach to life
- Live with a host family and experience Ghanaian home life
- Attend high school with Ghanaian students and rewrite your high school experience
- Visits local markets where vendors sell handicrafts, snacks and groceries
- Fill your stomach with rich foods like red-red, fufu, and yams
AFS-USA Grants & Scholarships
The opportunity to study abroad should be available to everyone, regardless of their financial means. Annually, we award scholarships to about half of our study abroad students.