Hungary boasts small hamlets, rustic churches, soaring castles, and cafes. The countryside is out of a storybook, and its national heroes are poets and writers. However, its culture, lifestyle, and food are shaped by both Western and Eastern Europe.
Budapest, the country's capital, is often called the “Paris of Eastern Europe” because of its broad avenues, graceful architecture, many parks, and bounty of fine and performing arts. The country has one of the finest folk traditions in Europe, producing excellent embroidery, pottery, and carvings. Its musical contributions are just as rich, ranging from the rhapsodies of Franz Liszt and the operas of Ferenc Erkel to Gypsy, folk, and rock music.
Since Hungarians are known for their hospitality, you'll be sure to receive plenty of help with Maygar (Hungarian) from your host family. Hungary is an ideal place to step outside of your comfort zone, become a cultural insider, and engage in an exciting new adventure.
Classes are held Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. Schools can provide some extra activities such as school trips, sport and games, choir, arts or theater. Uniforms are usually not worn. Teenagers take their studies seriously and work hard toward their fourth-year final exams, which are important for college admissions. School or community organizations offer activities such as sports (soccer, basketball and volleyball are popular), drama, folk dance and music clubs. Like teenagers everywhere, Hungarian youth enjoy spending their weekends going to movies, parties or to someone's house.
- Immerse yourself in Maygar – the best way to become fluent.
- Make connections and memories you'll never forget with other AFS exchange students from all over the world.
- Live with a host family to deepen your immersion and connection to Hungarian culture. If you’re like most AFSers, you won’t want to leave this second family and home.
- Catch sight of the mighty Danube River, stunning rolling hills of the Hungarian countryside, and some traditional Hungarian festivals!
- Become a global citizen. Gain intercultural communication skills. Build your college and career resume. Help create a more peaceful, understanding world.
AFS-USA Grants & Scholarships
The opportunity to study abroad should be available to everyone, regardless of their financial means. Annually, we award scholarships to about half of our study abroad students.