• Jordan

Apartment Host Family Hotel Lodge Tent
Arabic
Age Max

Pricing

Program fee includes all lodging, meals, activities, conferences, in-country transportation, health insurance, experienced group leaders, and 24-hour on-call support. Excludes international airfare.
What's Included

Airfare Visa
Nov 16, 2021
Sep 05, 2019
18 travelers are looking at this program

Develop your Arabic language skills and earn academic credit while exploring Jordan’s social, political, and environmental landscapes. Explore the country’s ancient landmarks, such as Petra and the Dead Sea. Deepen your immersion by becoming part of a local community for four weeks during home hospitality activities and service projects and take advantage of around-the-clock opportunities to practice Arabic beyond the classroom. Your language training may exceed 90 hours with practice through formal classes, host community and peer interactions, and more. Expand your knowledge of present-day Jordan through discussions on politics, Islam, democracy, human rights, the role of refugees, and multiculturalism. You will also learn about the ongoing debates surrounding Jordan’s environmental and natural resources.

Upon successful completion of this program, students will earn three college credits through The Experiment’s accredited partner institution, School for International Training.

Program Highlights

• Attend 90+ hours Arabic language classes.
  • Learn about Humanitarian assistance projects within Jordan and meet with the Red Crescent NGO, an organization similar to the Red Cross.
  • Attend Seminars on women’s issues, the media in Jordan. Visit Petra, one of the ancient wonders of the world, to view the ancient buildings carved out of mountain sides.
  • Participate in a community service project and take a dance class to learn traditional Jordanian dances.
  • Hike to sacred sights of Mount Nebo and then hike down to swim in the Dead sea.

The Experiment in International Living Scholarships

The Experiment in International Living offers a variety of need-based and merit-based scholarships to worthy high school students looking to participate in their program. The eligibility requirements vary depending on where you live and other demographics -- and your GPA is taken into account for some scholarships too.

$250 - $5,000

Kayla

Amazing Opportunity

Last summer, I traveled on an 11-hour flight to Amman, Jordan. After being accepted for a full scholarship to the Jordan program, I knew that my summer would be full of self-discovery. I am forever changed because of my experience with this program. I felt a different way about every part of my family; my host mother felt like my best friend, my host father gave me a sense of security, my host brother gave me happiness and comfort, and as a whole, including my host grandparents and aunts/uncles, I received nothing but warmth and love. The entire time I was there, I was treated like a sister, daughter, niece, granddaughter, and friend. I always visited and had dinners or spent all night with my host grandmother while she taught me different aspects of traditional Jordanian food. My host mom and I would watch soap operas in Arabic and she’d help me study or do schoolwork. My host father sat with me during breakfast to read my Arabic writing work and helped me to revise it. In the mornings, I took my baby brother to our balcony and held him while listening to music until I had to leave for class. I can’t imagine not having any of these memories now, I can’t see myself being someone who hasn’t experienced everything that I have. Though it was only one month compared to a lifetime, my Jordanian family will always be a part of me. I got to learn a new language, try new foods, dance to new music, sing new songs, and create more memories. So, to The Experiment, my counselors, group leaders, host family, and all of the friends that I’ve made on this trip, شكرا!

What was your funniest moment?
One of my friends from my group fell backward out of his chair while joking around and I caught it on camera, so we always play that video to poke fun at him.
Amanda

Life-Changing

My experience in Jordan was absolutely opposite that which is portrayed in the media. Going into the Middle East, especially from a country like the United States, I was told that the culture and the people would be completely foreign, that they would not think like me or act like me, but everything I was told was wrong. The people, the place, everything, was absolutely amazing and I cannot begin express my gratitude for this amazing, enlightening experience. On my trip to Jordan with The Experiment, I met so many people, both Jordanian and American, and had amazing experiences sightseeing, learning, and exploring. I cannot recommend this program more, I had a life-changing experience!

Ariel

Experiment in International Living: Jordan

This program provided a truly unique and valuable experience. Jordan is a country with experiences, viewpoints, and social structures so unique in the world, while also being a society which is overall very accessible and welcoming to outsiders. Westerners are likely to find little trouble in adapting to life in Jordan. There are several once in a lifetime experiences to be had in Jordan. Some of the best are all nighters in Wadi Rum, balcony-top gatherings above Amman expressways,dead sea photoshoots, buying matching clothes from mecca mall, climbing roman ruins in Jerash, record breaking cafe visits, lewd jokes in arabic class, lock in pranks, as well as countless laughs in the SIT common room. Go to Jordan. Do it for The Culture.

maggie

An experience of a lifetime

I loved every part of this trip! The team over in Jordan truly cares for their students, they get us fully emerged and a lot of personal growth happens! I learned the language, culture and history not just through lectures and class but also through first hand experiences! The home stay is one of the most amazing parts of the trip, making you feel like you belong! I highly recommend this trip to future travelers!