Sol Abroad High School Program in Argentina

Sol Abroad High School Program in Argentina

Learn Spanish in the most fascinating city in South America…Buenos Aires. Wander the bustling streets and grand avenues of the city and then explore the numerous historic neighborhoods. Experience the enchanting nightlife that the cosmopolitan city is famous for, tango clubs, cafés and world-class theaters. High school students study at the renowned Academia Buenos Aires Spanish Institute and earn university credit. Take Spanish classes in some of the most beautiful and relaxed neighborhoods in Buenos Aires. Sol Abroad high school programs provides quality academic support and assistance while you are on your study abroad program.

South America » Argentina » Buenos Aires
South America » Argentina
Program Categories
Spanish

Sophia
USA

SolAbroad: Buenos Aires, Argentina

I loved this program! I went to Buenos Aires, Argentina and stayed with my host mom in an apartment building across the hall from another host mom, and both were very friendly, happy, and easy to talk to (the food was also great).

Tips!
The Academia was really useful as a way to practice Spanish, but I recommend choosing a class that's somewhat challenging for you, or finding a class in which you get to talk a lot so that you get more out of the experience, either learning-wise or language-wise. My teacher was very engaging and the class was full of people who were having a lot of fun in the city and were very enthusiastic about learning and practicing Spanish, so I could overlook the fact that I was only doing review and not learning new topics, because I was gaining so much experience speaking.
Pack light, so that you can have some room for souvenirs like mate, which are surprisingly bulky!
Talk in Spanish to everyone you can, every chance you get. The students may not be immersive in the language and it is a great idea to practice the language as much as possible. I also watched movies and shows and read books in Spanish so that I could practice reading and listening.
Read ahead about fun things to do in Buenos Aires and where you want to go, because the longer you stay, the more free time you have to do things. Buenos Aires is a city full of museums and art, and it's an absolute joy to explore. Figure out what you want to do beforehand so that you can do it quickly and easily when you're there.
A lot of stores seem to be closed on Sundays and many museums are closed on Mondays, sometimes Tuesdays.

I think that the program really helped me to gain confidence in my Spanish-speaking skills and it helped me to get better at speaking and listening. I loved the museums and general culture of Buenos Aires. I definitely recommend this program to anyone looking to gain a once-in-a-lifetime experience and increase their comfort with and knowledge of Spanish. I loved the activities with the program and the flexibility and genuine friendliness of the directors and host parents. I also really enjoyed how we were given time to explore the city on our own, to eat out in restaurants, and to chat with our host parents. ¡Muchas gracias SolAbroad!

Daniel
Mooresville, NC

Sol Abroad Argentina

The Sol Abroad Summer program in Argentina is definitely a worthwhile experience. Buenos Aires is a beautiful city and there is always something to do. Even after two weeks of being there, I found that there were places I didn't have time to go to. The program is well run and takes good care of the students. The host mom that I had was wonderful and helped me with whatever I needed. The food is also a plus. The Spanish classes are immersive and based around conversation, so they actually help you improve your fluidity in speaking. The activities are for the most part very entertaining and help you discover more of Buenos Aires. The best weekend trip is by far Colonia, and while the other ones aren't bad by any means, they aren't on the same level as Colonia. In order to truly experience the city, walking is necessary, and so participants had better be prepared to walk at least a few miles every day. Much of the time is also spent without guidance, and so you have to discover things to do for yourself. This isn't a problem though, for the city is full of museums, cafes, parks, and other interesting places.

It would be very beneficial if the program gave a list of suggested individual activities because the first few days are hard to find activities since you don't really know anything in the city.

Kaki
Estados Unidos

Amazing Program and Experience

My studies in Buenos Aires were beyond amazing. My confidence speaking in Spanish improved significantly and I grew so much in my understanding of other cultures and different types of people. While in a safe environement, I was able to expand my comfort zone and have so many new experiences that I will remember forever. My favorite Experience was Mate Club de Conversación. In the Mate Club, we met other students studying Spanish and natives of Buenos Aires studying English and helped each other practice and develop fluency in each language. Our director, Kevin, was amazing and helped us with anything we needed and made sure we had the best experience possible.

Rachel
Atlanta, Georgia

Summer 2016 In Argentina

My name is Rachel Zoneraich, and when I went abroad I was 15 years old and going into my junior year of high school. I had an intermediate level of Spanish going in, and after 7 weeks in Argentina I came back proficient in Spanish. I went with the program SOL abroad, which was an excellent program. The school they use, Academia Buenos Aires, is fantastic. I had 1 on 1 classes for 6 weeks without an added cost because there happened to be no one at my level, and there is a limit of 5 kids to a class. The school has there own curriculum, and gave out homework. My home stay, Amalia, was amazing. She showed me around the city, took me to the movies, and had dinner with me every night. She knew English, but only spoke in Spanish so that I could practice my conversation.

I got an internship with Taringa! (a social media site), but my internship was not through SOL Study Abroad. This internship was the highlight of my summer, so I highly recommend it! The afternoon programs through SOL were great. There was tango classes, cooking classes, mate (speaking Spanish/English with natives over their local tea called mate), and tours of the best city attractions. We also went to Uruguay with the program, which was a cool experience.

Overall, I had an amazing time in Argentina and would highly recommend it to any other high school student!

In general, the program was great. There could have been a little more support in the beginning, getting my phone set up (I bought and Argentinian sim card) and figuring out how to navigate the city, but I never felt unsafe and I really enjoyed myself.

Stephanie
Chicago

Sol Program Buenos Aires

The Sol program not only improved my Spanish immensely but also got me out of my comfort zone and brought out a more independent side of myself. I became much more comfortable speaking in Spanish to locals and learned to improvise with the language in all sorts of circumstances. The Academia for Spanish was an overall incredible experience with small class sizes, amazing teachers, and the opportunity to meet and get to know people from other backgrounds and parts of the world. I also got to make incredible friends and memories through the numerous activities and excursions our director Kevin had planned for us throughout my stay there, ranging from cooking classes to river boat rides to the Recoleta Cemetery. There is also a lot of freedom so that you can see the city and its many barrios for yourself and with other students from Sol or the Academia. Every day was a different adventure and I was never bored. Being on your own you learn a lot about yourself and how to handle different situations. Overall I couldn't have asked for a better five weeks in Buenos Aires in terms of experience and academic/personal growth and I hope to be given the opportunity to return to the city sometime in the future!

The program was amazing! The only ways I think it could be improved would be to meet and interact with people our age from Buenos Aires, whether through volunteering or any other sort of activity.

Andrew

Sol Abroad Argentina program

The program is focused on academics as well as cultural immersion. Being in a homestay forces the use of the target language, which is very good; immersion is the best way to learn a language. The classes at the Academia Buenos Aires are very rigorous without being overwhelming. The cultural excursions are enjoyable and very Informative. Though it is worth noting that winters in Argentina can be quite chilly. Also, as pedestrians, people need to be very careful as drivers don't always yield. Overall, though, a good experience.

It would benefit from a greater variety of excursions.

Coleman
Baltimore, Maryland

Coleman Brathwaite's Sol Abroad Experienvce

This experience was very valuable for me. At first I was nervous because I was going into a new environment, didn't know anyone, didn't know what to expect, and how I was going to adapt to life in Argentina. I didn't really feel comfortable until a few days into the program where I got to know everyone and I had fun being around these people. And I had fun. Being around this group of people was fun, getting to know them was fun, and I had a director who was a great guy to be around. I had lots of fun in Argentina and I would recommend anyone to go there for a visit.

I think this program is fine just the way it is. I wish we could do more things, but the weather prevented us from seeing what Buenos Aires had to offer

Payton
Nacogdoches, Texas

My trip to Argentina with Sol Abroad

On my flight to Buenos Aires I was full of nerves, excitement, and just dash of fear, but when I arrived I was met with a hearty handshake and a big smile from guide Kevin along with my awesome new roommate. This tone of friendships and good vibes continued throughout my three week stay in the incredible country. My host mother, my teacher, my guide and all the friends I made along the way will definitely stay in my memories the rest of my life.

I can honestly not think of anything else to improve my stay in Argentina.

Siva
Fort Worth
University of Texas- Dallas

Arrrrhentina!

Wowza. Going with SOL to Argentina was an absolute blast! I was only there for about 3 short weeks but I got to immerse myself and explore the big bustling city of Buenos Aires. During the weekdays, I was able to brush up on my Spanish skills at the local university, and on the weekends I would find myself using what I've learned in order to effectively communicate with the people there. While I did take quite a bit of Spanish in school, I genuinely felt that my Spanish improved at a greater pace there due to the fact that I had to speak the language through out the entire day, rather than for just one class period. Also, all the sightseeing tours and activities that were part of the program were not only fun and engaging, but also offered an insight into Argentinian tradition. The host mothers are extremely hospitable and accommodating, truly like mothers away from home. Safety was never a concern because our director, Kevin, ALWAYS looked out for us and made sure we arrived safely at our house every day. Trust me, the friendships you will make in your group and along your journey will last a very long time. Even after my trip, I'm still in contact with all the members in my group. If nothing I've said so far has convinced you to go to Argentina, then maybe the tantalizing selection of meats, fresh aroma of world renown coffee, fascinating lifestyle, and rich culture will!

Easier access to money exchange

Elizabeth
Cupertino

would recommend!

I stayed in Buenos Aires for 6 weeks during summer vacation (winter in Argentina!).
living – The living conditions were great! My host mom was very friendly and always asked me about the program activities. Food was delicious. The bathroom was tiny but functioned fine.
activities – Activities almost always remained within Buenos Aires. Aside from the tourist must ranch excursion + asado, activities included neighborhood tours, museum visits, cultural classes (tango, cooking), and Maté Club (practice Spanish making small talk w other ppl).
classes – Classes improved my Spanish a lot. Compared to U.S. classes, a lot more emphasis is put on speaking skills and immersion (for example, explanations are mostly in Spanish). I was put into a lower level (2) than I had already studied in the U.S. (3) due to my lower speaking skill but moved into 4 by the end of 6 weeks.
complaints – My director was super chill and friendly! However, he often arrived late to activities, which eventually became frustrating after multiple incidents. Also, sometimes the activities didn't seem planned out very carefully or in detail, and some were delayed or canceled as a result.

tl;dr –
I loved the trip; it was a lot of fun; I learned a lot of Spanish. I would recommend the program if your main objective is to improve Spanish. Students remain within Buenos Aires; despite several tours you will not be visiting Iguazu Falls, Patagonia, or other famous areas of Argentina with Sol Abroad. Remember that you will only get as much out of the trip as you put in! Make an effort to immerse yourself in the culture/language.

Mary Christine
Austin, TX

Wonderful Experience in Buenos Aires

My high school daughter spent three weeks in Buenos Aires. She found the program a perfect mix of formal studies and exposure to Argentinian culture and sights. Having spent the previous summer as a volunteer in a small Peruvian community, she enjoyed seeing another side of life in a big, bustling city. Her focused classes helped her progress in her fluency. She had plenty of opportunity to meet locals from her host mother and her extended family, to students and people she met out and about. Sol Abroad provided ample assistance in planning her trip and gave her the flexibility to make the most of her time in Argentina.

Nickalos
Hoschton, GA

Life changing experience

We sent out daughter, who was about to become a senior in high schoo,l to Argentina on this program with much hesitation. We were extremely happy with the program on many levels. She never felt unsafe, even when touring the city. She met new friends, whom she stays in contact with still and is even travelling across country to visit for her birthday. Her host mom was amazing and made her feel at home the entire time. She has a special place in her heart and stays in contact with her as well. This being her first study abroad program inspired her to want to do it every year between her school years. All in all, I would highly recommend the program to anyone.

Ben
Los Angeles, California

Study Abroad in Buenos Aires, Argentina

Pros:
-I loved going to the academy every day - great teachers and a great learning environment
-Fantastic on-site director
-Hospitable host family
-Endless freedom in a large Metropolitan city
-Fun after-school cultural activities
-Fun excursions
-A trip I will never forget!

Cons: none

I was pretty shy and lived with a host mother who was also very shy - so we didn't talk that much. The kids should know more about their host family in advance and should be able to change if necessary.

Sol Abroad is an affordable high school study abroad, Gap Year and Spanish immersion program for students 14 - 18 years of age. There are programs offered during the summer and semester. Sol students live with local families, take Spanish classes on the weekdays, participate