Cross-Cultural Solutions: High School Volunteer Abroad in Guatemala

As a summer high school volunteer in Guatemala, you’ll be warmly welcomed into the safe and quiet Maya Highlands town of Tecpan to join a passionate team of change-makers.

Whether you choose a one, two, or four-week session on any start dates below, you’ll be sharing your experience with a group of your peers, all ages 14-18 -- and like you, they’ve decided that dedicating their summer to serving others abroad while exploring another culture is a pretty cool challenge to take on.

We know you’re unique and that you have your own interests, which is why we offer specialized volunteer paths that you can choose from. Select a focus in Education, Technology, Health, or Sports Leadership.

And that healthy dose of adventure you’re craving? Don’t worry, you’ll get that too! We know it’s your summer and you want to have amazing stories and photos of colorful markets, swims in volcanic lakes, and Maya ceremonies to share with your friends and family back home.

Julia

Amazing Experience

I had the best summer of my life because of this incredible program. I got to travel to many different places in Guatemala and visit so many diverse locations. I went zip-lining, made chocolate, brought souvenirs in markets and so many other fun activities. I loved teaching in the school! The kids were so sweet and really appreciated us teaching them and playing soccer at recess. I recommend this to anyone!

Zoey

A Life-Changing Experience!

Traveling with Cross Cultural Solutions truly was an unforgettable experience! Working with the children of Tecpan, Guatemala has changed my life completely. They touched my heart and help me to become not only more appreciative of the little things in life, but they showed me how to get more from life. I am now so grateful for all that I have, and I find myself to be simply a happier person. The staff members also made it very difficult for me to leave, as I grew so close to them in such a short period of time. They were all very warm and caring, and above all else they made me feel like I was apart of the family.

I would not have changed my experience with the program in any way! It was remarkable!
Crystal

Tecpan

Going on the trip to Tecpan, Guatemala is one of the best opportunities i have ever received. The biggest highlight was teaching at the school, the kids reminded me to not judge by a cover and to be grounded. While being their not being able to use wifi and to have to actually rely on my own intelligence, i believe i gained back some of the brain cells i lost being caught up in the materialistic and virtual world that existed around me back home.

If i had to change one thing i would change where we went out to eat, the few times we did go out to eat we always went to an Italian restaurant, but i'm assuming that maybe that's all there was. Oh and notify people going ahead of time that they will be paying for their laundry to be done.

About Cross-Cultural Solutions

For 22 years, CCS has been the standard setter for the safest, most meaningful, and enriching volunteer abroad programs while striving to be a global leader in child development and women's empowerment.

Since 1995, over 35,000 people have volunteered...