At dawn a howler monkey cries from the branch of a giant ceiba tree. In the Cuchumatanes Mountains, a young woman rises to grind corn on a stone petate. Along Avenida Reforma, street-children juggle oranges for change as businessmen tuck into air-conditioned office buildings. Students explore this complicated country of contrasts where steamy jungles rise to meet towering volcanic peaks and traditional traje walk alongside Armani suites. Investigate issues of social justice amidst Guatemala’s diverse landscapes and communities while improving Spanish language skills through personalized instruction.
2-week 4- and 6-week options available.
- 2 weeks of one-on-one interactive Spanish language instruction, four to five hours a day; language immersion throughout. (2-3 weeks on 6 week program)
- Home-stays in 2 to 3 different communities, including 2 weeks during language school.
- Volunteering in schools, clinics, and farms. Tree planting with the Chico Mendes project. Approximately 20 hours of service credit earned.
- Delve into issues of modernization and globalization, impact of education and tourism on indigenous culture, free trade, exploration of minority empowerment issues.
- 4-day trek through Cuchumatanes Mountains. Day treks through Biotopo del Quetzal cloud forest. Volcano ascents. ABOUT COMPONENTS ENROLL