Discover the historic, economic, environmental, and cultural mosaic of Laos, Thailand and Cambodia by exploring the communities and landscapes along the upper stretches of the Mekong River.
From the Tibetan Plateau, the mighty Mekong River courses through gorges and mega-dams within the Himalayas, gradually widening into the tropical rainforests of Laos.From the base of the sacred Kawagebo Mountain the mighty Mekong River courses through the gorges and mega-dams, gradually widening into the tropical rainforests of Laos and floodplains of Thailand and Cambodia.
The Laos, Thailand and Cambodia “Mekong” 6-week Summer program splits time between the three countries as we explore the diverse landscapes, spiritual traditions, and critical issues connected to life along the Mekong River.
- Meet with local artists and take part in traditional Hmong weaving or Kmhmu Bamboo Weaving class at The Traditional Arts and Ethnology Centre (TAEC) in Luang Prabang, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, to understand the fascinating and rich ethnic diversity in
- Experience the difference in daily life in two rural homestays in Laos and Thailand and visit hidden caves and aqua blue lagoons in the lower Mekong.
- Speak with environmental activists and community members to learn about the disastrous ecological and social impacts of large-scale hydropower dams along the Mekong River and beyond.
- Understand the impact of the USA’s Secret War in Laos, where the US dropped more bombs than all of the Allied Forces in WW1 and WW2 combined.
- Meet Khmer Rouge survivors in Phnom Penh, whose harrowing stories and resilience will humble and inspire you.