The Himalayas. Since time immemorial, these colossal peaks with their vast web of rugged, isolated valleys and distinct ethnic groups have drawn only the most intrepid travelers from distant lands. Through rural and urban home-stays, ten days in a Buddhist monastery, high mountain trekking, service learning, and independent study, Dragons’ Himalaya students explore this remarkable region and its people, encountering ancient spiritual traditions with deep roots in a mystical land.
We offer comprehensive, personal home visits so that we can answer your questions in person. One of our expert staff members will present on our program options and share stories from their own formative Where There Be Dragons program. To request a home visit in less than 2 minutes, fill out this form.
- Spend a week at a Tibetan monastery to learn about Buddhism and inquire deeply into Hinduism, Buddhism, and Shamanism.
- Embark on a challenging trek through rugged parts of the Himalayas in remote wilderness areas.
- Spend 4-6 weeks in home-stays in Kathmandu or Patan and participate in a short village home-stay in a Himalayan village.
- Mentor with stone carvers and mask makers; Nepali cuisine, dance and vocals, women’s issues, comparative religion, ayurvedic medicine, stone carving and jewelry making.
- Examine issues of health and education, human rights, environment and land use, globalization and poverty.