COVID-19 Program Updates
Due to global health & safety concerns and travel restrictions related to the coronavirus, Where There Be Dragons has decided to offer flexible booking options for some of their upcoming programs. Learn more about COVID-19 updates to stay tuned regarding program information.
Carefully balanced mounds of spices - red, green, brown and deep ochre - flank narrow paths winding through a living labyrinth. Wandering through a Moroccan “souq” (market place) framed by the ancient walls of city medinas, you are sure to think that you have entered another era.
Hiking along ancient trade routes and current nomadic enclaves, we experience a Morocco that few travelers encounter. Our time in remote villages immerses us in Morocco’s unrivaled hospitality; families welcome us as kin and our tea cups are never left empty. Throughout the country we engage with locals using our budding Arabic language skills. In the imperial cities of Fes and Marrakesh, the sounds of people bargaining in Arabic fill our ears as the smells of exotic spices fill your nose. Yet only a few hours hike takes us out of the cities and to a village of peaceful mud huts in the mountains.
- Explore the breathtaking Imperial Cities such as Fes and Marrakesh, losing yourself in the sights and smells of these ancient wonders .
- Try your hand at rug weaving, shoemaking and stone or wood carving with the masters and students at the Artisan Centre in Azrou.
- Build fluency in Moroccan Arabic (Darija) with interactive formal and conversational classes 2-3 times per week.
- Trek through the stunning Atlas Mountains, camping out under the stars while learning the importance of expedition behaviour and leave no trace principles.
- Examine the diversity that exists throughout Morocco: urban/rural, Arab /indigenous, mountains/desert, progressive/traditional, and influences of Europe, sub-Saharan Africa, and the Middle East.