New Zealand's two islands are divided by Cook Strait. The North Island boasts volcanoes, hot springs, mud pools, geysers, and beaches, while the South Island has rugged Alpine mountains, glaciers, and access to activities like swimming with dolphins.
AFS Global Choice offers you the opportunity to choose the area of New Zealand in which you want to live and the school you wish to attend for a Spring semester. New Zealand high schools are sometimes called colleges–don’t worry; we aren’t sending you off to university, yet! The locations of schools you can choose from include Auckland, Wellington, Rotorua, Christchurch, Whanganui, and Bay of Plenty. These schools offer programs for students interested in design, sports, performing arts, outdoor activities, music, and more! AFS will help choose your school by evaluating your career interests. We also assist with your enrollment, arrange insurance, and provide an arrival orientation, as well as on-going check-ups throughout the semester.
- Choose which school and region in which you'd like to study!
- Learn about Māori Culture including Kapa Haka (performing arts) and Te Reo Māori class (Māori language).
- Participate in outdoor education including overnight camps, adventure experiences, leadership opportunities, and more!
- Study environmental science through field work and hands-on projects.
- AFS Study Abroad Specialists will help you choose your school by evaluating your career aspirations and areas of interest.
AFS-USA Grants & Scholarships
The opportunity to study abroad should be available to everyone, regardless of their financial means. Annually, we award scholarships to about half of our study abroad students.