Spend a year or semester in el corazón de Sudamerica (the heart of South America) learning Spanish and immersing yourself in Paraguayan daily life. By living with a host family and attending a local high school, you’ll get an inside look at Paraguay’s fusion of Spanish and indigenous Guaraní cultures. You may catch sight of Guaraní indigenous people selling feathered headdresses in city plazas or pass locals riding through the streets in horse- or ox-drawn carts.
As a country experiencing rapid change while remaining true to its cultural traditions, you will have the opportunity to experience both the ancient and the modern. This is your chance to participate in local customs like the asado (a traditional barbeque) and become an integral part of your community. Paraguay just might be South America’s most untouched, natural gem, making it an ideal place to step outside of your comfort zone, become a cultural insider, and engage in an exciting new adventure.
- Immerse yourself in Spanish – the best way to become fluent.
- Make connections and memories you'll never forget with other AFS exchange students from all over the world.
- Live with a host family to deepen your immersion and connection to Paraguayan culture. If you’re like most AFSers, you won’t want to leave this second family and home.
- Sample delicious Paraguayan cuisine, including mandioca (cassava), sopa Paraguaya (cornbread baked with cheese, onions, and sometimes meat), and empanadas (deep-fried meat or vegetable turnovers).
- Become a global citizen. Gain intercultural communication skills. Build your college and career resume. Help create a more peaceful, understanding world.