A Unique Approach to Language Immersion in Spain

I mapped out everywhere I went during the trip
I mapped out everywhere I went during the trip
My host sister and I
My host sister and I
Our attempt at taking a jumping picture while on a hike in Velilla del Río Carrión
Some of my American friends and I
Some of my American friends and I
My best American Friends!!

LITA is a unique, rural focused language immersion program in Spain. Our dynamic, academically challenging programs offer students finishing 9th-11th grades a different approach to exploring the vibrant elements of Spanish language and culture. Through small groups and individual attention, LITA offers personal, highly authentic immersive experiences to motivated students with a true commitment to language acquisition.

Programs are three and five weeks in length and center around a family homestay in small/medium sized communities in northern or southern Spain. All students take language classes and complete an independent project on a cultural topic of their choice. Five-week program students have the option to participate in a volunteer internship in the community. LITA programs focus on language as it relates to family life, food, music, history, and art. All groups end their trip exploring an urban center that serves as a direct contrast to their small-town homestay experience.

• Rural travel.
  • Dynamic homestays.
  • Personalized programs.
  • Internship and research project opportunities.
  • Small group experiences.

Summer 2020 Dates

North Group: June 29th - July 20th
South Group: June 29th - July 20th

David

David's LITA Review

I've had the privilege of participating in four international summer camps, and I can say that LITA was, without question, the best in all senses. The program is perfectly structured so that students can quickly develop strong and close relationships—with the Spanish language, with Castilian culture, and with other other people.

1. I learned more Spanish in five weeks with LITA than in five years of classroom education. English was a rarity throughout the course, and I was constantly asked to step up, converse, and stretch my Spanish ability. I now have conversational Spanish abilities, and the difference it's made returning to America is staggering. I feel like a different person, and I've been able to talk with so many more people and take so many more opportunities thanks to Spanish.

2. I now feel a warm connection with Spanish culture; thanks to LITA's numerous tours of museums, castles, and the Spanish countryside, the distinctive three-week homestay, and the utter immersion of the experience, I feel like Spain is a second home. I still miss it today—late-night talks with my host family, seeing traditional folk concerts, extravagant lunches with extended relatives, and, of course, siesta.

3. Finally, the connections I made with the members of the program were some of the strongest I've ever made. LITA's small groups meant that it was possible to make quick friends, and that it was possible to speak out and be heard by the whole collective. Our assemblage of a dozen teenagers was filled with so amazing students fully-committed to the process of helping each other learn Spanish. I would say that the quality of the students was unparalleled and unmatched, except that this would be a lie. It's rare to meet one group of such amazing people, but with LITA I had the privilege of meeting two—the students, and the massive support network. I still text my host parents regularly, who showed me love and attention throughout an intensive and immersive month. All of the tour guides we worked with were excited, passionate, expert Spanish-speakers, and masters of their specific craft—singing, cooking, photography, etc. I miss the banter and rapport of our two group leaders, who helped bridge the gap between Spain and America and kept our group cohesive. And, of course, LITA director Jordan Romm showed immense generosity and kindness before, during, and after the program.

Jump in. LITA is an immersion program; be willing to immerse yourself. Part of what made the program spectacular was everyone's willingness to commit to Spanish, to immersion, and to five weeks spent together. The time truly flew by for me.
Cecile

Lita is the best summer program!

Lita was not only five of the most fun weeks of my life, but my language skills improved exponentially and I returned with the confidence to approach anyone. Lita pushed me out of my comfort zone by forcing me to talk to strangers, live in a totally different environment, and explore my surroundings. I made countless friends that I remain in touch with, including my amazing host family. The program was the perfect balance of spending time with the Lita group as well as the Spanish community. There was absolutely no English with my host family, which really pushed me to improve. Lita made me eager to continue immersing myself in a foreign language. if you are looking for a small, academically-focused, insanely fun summer program, Lita is the one!

Addy

A Life-Changing Summer with LITA

I cannot express enough how much this program has influenced me as a person and how it helped to cultivate my passion for speaking Spanish. From the very beginning, Jordan’s communication with my parents and I was seamless and he was always at the ready to answer any and all of our questions. From the minute we landed in Madrid, every aspect of the trip, down to the most acute details, was planned and thought out with such precision and care. Olivia and Ilan took special note to our group’s needs, both individual and collective and made sure that we felt safe while still being pushed out of our comfort zones. One aspect of this program that truly stands out to me that defines LITA and the core of its mission is the homestay. My host family are some of the most caring, genuine and thoughtful people I have ever met. From the very beginning, they instilled a sense of belonging and made me feel like I was truly a member of their family. We still talk frequently and love to reminisce about the jokes and the laughs we shared. Before we arrived in our host town I was extremely nervous to meet my family and live with them for the next 3 weeks. Yet from the minute I stepped off the bus, my host family spotted me immediately and ran over to give me a big hug. We began talking and as soon as I got to know the wonderful people they are, my nerves were instantly put to rest and I knew that these people would always have a special place in my heart. The homestay is the heart and soul of this fantastic program and I cannot recommend LITA enough! I walked away from this experience with a sense of pride, accomplishment, excitement, yet sadness that I would have to leave such an amazing place that helped to foster my love for Spanish language and culture. I cannot express my gratitude enough to such a wonderful program and the truly impactful experience it provided me. I will never forget my summer with LITA and I hope to continue to stay involved in this influential program.

Aubrey

LITA: The best summer of my life!

LITA helped me make memories that I will treasure for my whole life. I grew so much as a spanish speaker and even more as a person. I went into this experience pretty nervous about being abroad, my language and being with people that I had never met before, but LITA went above and beyond. I gained so many new skills, had a BLAST with my host family and absolutely adored being in Spain. I enjoyed the fact that the program was small and personal. I really got to meet and get to know everyone in the program. It also gave us the opportunity to travel all around Spain together and go to many more places. One thing that was super positive about my summer was the homestay. We were in a super small town, which was super cool because we could walk all around the town and meet tons of new people and speak tons of spanish!

Don't be nervous about how good your language skills are. Everyone supports each other and you gain so many new friends.
Nadia

My spain trip

I’m Nadia
This summer I went to spain with LITA It was the most amazing experience of my life time and I learnt so much. Words can not express how much I love and support this program. On my trip we had the best teachers Olivia and ilan then helped me so much and we’re always looking out for our best interests and pushed us to speak in Spanish and it really helped me and the other students learn. We were always in groups which made us always feel safe. The 3 weeks with my host family was one of the best times of my life, my family was amazing and I am hoping to come back and see them, they are truly apart of my life. It was such a fun experience we had many laughs, jokes and good times and did so many exciting things like kayaking, hiking singing, dancing, , shopping, cooking and so much more. I highly recommend this program because it taught me so much and I made life long friendships and I can strongly say that I feel apart of this amazing famiLITA

Max

My summer with LITA

I am a 15 year old boy in my sophomore year of high school and this past summer I went on the trip of a lifetime with LITA’s north program. Through LITA, you are truly able to connect with the Spanish culture and see both the rural heart of the country and the large cities. Because this program is very language-focused, my Spanish improved tremendously through the course of the six week program and I left the program speaking so much better than I ever could have imagined. The most influential part of the program is the three week homestay with a family and I loved my family and am going back to visit them soon. The program director does a great job of pairing students with families and after the three weeks, it feels as if you have a new Spanish family. The most important thing I got from this program was a rekindled interest in learning not only Spanish but about the world and different cultures. I can say this program was truly life changing and I highly recommend it to all students with a sense of adventure and a willingness to push themselves to learn more about the world.

This program is near perfect and the only way I could think of making it better would be to extend the duration of the homestay but that may be impossible because the program is only about five weeks long.
Ila

LITA Review

I went on the LITA South group trip this past summer 2018, and it was one of the most incredible experiences of my life. I gained a new family through my host family that I lived with for three weeks and through my LITA group. My host family was amazing and treated me as another daughter. I gained two new siblings and another set of parents, and saw many new places and tried new things with them. It changed my life for the better. I always felt safe and cared for throughout the trip, and was extremely prepared before the trip, as the leaders and Jordan and Michela were always available to answer our questions. I hope to keep in touch with everyone involved with LITA. I learned SO much Spanish from this trip, and it has helped me a lot at school, as well! I hope that I continue to improve upon my new Spanish abilities, and I hope to see everyone and visit Spain again soon!

Karlton

The Best Way to Experience Spain

The amount of thought and care that Jordan and Michela put into the planning and execution of LITA summer programs is unparalleled in any other student program. From the stunning, rustic casa rural where we began our trip to the incredible home-stay families we lived with, the program perfectly balanced language immersion, cultural immersion, and fun. It was also amazing to see how quickly my Spanish improved as the trip went along. I remember being terrified to ask for ask for a cup of water without ice in Spanish while on the plane to Spain, but now I feel comfortable with my speaking ability enough to hold a conversation with anyone.

The connections I made with the people I met during the trip were unbelievable as well. One moment that I will remember for the rest of my life was the night of my birthday when I played a solo in a concert with my home stay brother's band. Its the moments like these that are so unique to a smaller program like LITA that has the ability to craft an experience unique to the interests of every group and student. I can honestly say that I couldn't have asked for a better experience in Spain.

Bonner

Incredible Experience

LITA was by far one of the most amazing things I have ever done. I left Spain with a high level of confidence not only with my ability to speak Spanish but also with myself. I made a number of connections with people from different states and countries, and I still keep in touch with almost everyone I met. The friendships I made throughout this experience have made an incredible impact on my life, and I learned so much about myself through this experience. Not only was LITA a fun experience, but I also learned so much about Spanish culture through unique experiences like Flamenco demonstrations, cooking classes, and music demonstrations. One of my favorite parts of LITA was the homestay. Host families are picked specifically for each student, so I loved growing close and spending time with them. I would recommend LITA to any student who has a passion for learning, adventure, meeting new people, and the Spanish language.

Caroline

Amazing Experience

I absolutely loved my time in Spain with LITA. This was the second immersion experience I had done, and I was a little hesitant because I had a bad experience in the first. However, LITA completely changed my opinion of immersion programs. I was in the North 2 group, which lasted from June 25-August 1st. The first week my group and I spent our time in a bed and breakfast in Galicia. This week was incredible, as it created a sense of community and support within our group. During this time we went hiking and visited nearby towns. All of the activities were fun and enganging, while still making us practice our Spanish. For the next three weeks, we spent our time in a city called Benavente. There I lived with a family and did an internship with a veterinarian. My family was so kind and accepting, and we are currently setting up a trip for them to come to Nashville. My internship was also incredible. I was able to spend my time with animals and was even allowed to help with several surgeries. For me, my time in Benavente was the most beneficial for not only improving my Spanish but also getting outside my comfort zone. Finally, our last week was spent with three days backpacking the Pyrenees and four days in Barcelona. Backpacking the Pyrenees was a once in a lifetime experience; however, it was extremely difficult. Our time in Barcelona was amazing, and we had amazing activities planned, while still having some free time. Overall, this trip was amazing and I would do it again in a heartbeat. It is well planned and the internships and families are matched with a lot of care. I would highly recommend this program to anyone.

Campbell

A Spectacular Experience

The trip was quite well organized and thought out. Every step of the trip led to the next level of our understanding of the language in a well paced and thoughtful manner. The family that I stayed with in Medina Del Campo, Spain was truly amazing. They took very good care of me and made sure that I was comfortable and well prepared for every activity throughout. Lastly, I felt as though the internship added an extra layer of enrichment to the trip by boosting my fluency tremendously. I am already missing all of the great people that I met throughout the trip, and I hope to return soon to Spain!

Gavin

A life-changing experience

This past summer, I went on a 5 1/2 week program to Spain through LITA. When I was researching through all of the programs, I tried to find one with best homestay experience. Fast forward 4 months, and I was on a plane with 11 other people that I knew were going to become great friends. But by far, my favorite part of the trip was the homestay. I got to stay in a small town, and meet so many new people, improve my spanish, but best of all I got to eat tapas EVERY DAY, and believe me, they do not get old. I had a wonderful time, improved my spanish, and made some lifelong friends.

Zach

My experience with LITA

I spent about half of my summer with LITA, but I wish I could have spent more. I had countless new and unique experiences over the 5 weeks that changed me as a person and dramatically improved my understanding of the world and my proficiency in Spanish. I loved every part of it, and am so thankful for the incredible experience I had. The experience was so well organized and personalized and the extra work put in by the directors to get to know the students made a huge difference. I had a few friends that each went on different Spanish immersion programs but none of them said they had anywhere near as good of a time as I did with LITA. I loved my group, my counselors, and especially my host family. The whole experience was truly life-changing and something I will never forget. If you are looking to have a fun summer abroad while also learning so much Spanish, LITA is definitely the program to choose.

Our schedule was always full, making use of the whole day, which at times was maybe a bit too much. I feel like some activities could have been shorter or skipped, but there were no bad activities and since they were all so fun it would be tough to even think about skipping one.
Response from LITA

Thanks, Zach! Great to hear from you here. This is definitely a fine balance - taking advantage of the day while allowing for down time - especially since summer days in Spain are so long as it is! We really appreciate your feedback! We'll keep it in mind as we go into this coming summer. Gracias y un abrazo muy fuerte, tío!

Isabel

A Fantastic Experience with LITA

Traveling to Spain with LITA could not have been a better experience. The careful planning and detail of the program makes it truly incomparable.

LITA strikes a terrific balance between cultural and language immersion, while maintaining a firm focus on developing an understanding of what it is like to live in Spain. Starting with the ‘casa rural’ where we stayed for a week, I was able to get to know the region better, as well as truly get to know my peers in the program (who were all super interesting and kind people). My LITA group even thought it better to speak with one another in Spanish, making it into a fun game that drastically improved our language abilities. In the homestay, I was able adapt to the Spanish pace of life and practice the language even further. Through my internship at a local bakery, I was able to chat with daily customers, as well as learn traditional recipes. I am not too keen on hiking, but even our three day trek in the Pyrenees was made enjoyable by the LITA group.

Initially I was skeptical about the program, because feared that I would not actually improve noticeably in my speaking ability. However, my Spanish without a doubt improved significantly. Even though many of my peers were at different language levels, we were all able to learn from one another.

This bring me to another notable aspect of LITA, which is the support provided by the program infrastructure. Jordan, the program director, and Michela, the assistant director, were available both before and during the trip to provide ample assistance to all participants. The group leaders, different for each trip, stayed with us and ensured that everything went smoothly. When I encountered difficulties with my homestay (nothing the program could have controlled), my group leader, Olivia, stayed on the phone with me for an hour figuring it out. Even Jordan called from a different town to make sure things were going smoothly.

All in all, a fantastic experience that I completely recommend.

Nate

100% Loved LITA

LITA was a wonderful way to learn more about Spanish culture, make new friends and have fun. After getting a chance to explore Spain with LITA, my Spanish has improved immensely. I am much more confident and feel like I can talk in Spanish for weeks straight, because that's what I ended up doing in with LITA. The way that LITA is scheduled allows for time to experience many different lifestyles in Spain, ranging from rural locations such as in Galicia to some of the biggest cities in Spain such as Barcelona. LITA is an incredible program and I would highly recommend it to anyone with a passion for Spanish and a desire to live the Spanish lifestyle!

Location:
Barcelona–El Prat
( BCN )
Palma De Mallorca
( PMI )

Come to Spain for its beautiful beaches, variety of culture, and amazing food and wine, specifically, tapas! Each region shines with its own individuality and reflects Spain's remarkable history as one of the world's strongest empires. Get to know the country famous for fiestas, siestas, toros, tapas, and vino!

Alumni Interviews

Staff Interviews

About LITA

LITA is a unique language immersion program offering students a comprehensive exploration of rural Spain, a dynamic experience far removed from English-speaking tourism. Through small, intimate groups of 12-14 students and two group leaders,...