Spain: Regional Cultures

Spain: Regional Cultures

Land in Spain’s capital, Madrid. Begin practicing Spanish as you navigate the city and visit Madrid’s “museum mile” to see art by artists such as Picasso and Dalí. Order tapas in local cafés as you visit the Habsburg district. Take an excursion to historic Toledo.

Travel to a new region for your homestay. Spend two weeks immersed in a Spanish community. Your Spanish skills will grow through interactions with your host family. Participate in flamenco classes, attend workshops about multiculturalism, and learn how to make paella in a cooking class. Your discovery of Spain’s cultures will continue as you and your group travel to Barcelona, Spain’s second-largest city. Visit Barcelona’s numerous UNESCO World Heritage sites, parks, and the Picasso Museum. See the architecture of Gaudí and shop along La Rambla, Barcelona’s famous central street, and travel to the seaside town of Sitges. Return to Madrid for a final day of exploration.

• Arts
  • Culinary
  • Outdoor Activity
  • Language
  • Homestay
The Experiment is the leader in financial aid and scholarships, awarding $2.4 Million in 2016 alone. Program fee includes all accommodations in country, meals, activities, conferences, in-country travel, and 24-hour on-call support. Excludes international airfare.

Overall this was such an amazing experience I'll always cherish with me. I've gotten to make new friendships with people I never knew before the trip. The homestay experience was integral to the cultural immersion, and it was an experience I'll never forget. At times there were random itinerary changes, which was sometimes frustrating. Regardless, this was truly a trip I'd do over again if i had the chance to.

My Trip to Spain

When I went overseas I had my doubts about Spain, and the challenges it would present. However, I soon learned my group members and my homestay family would support me throughout the trip. By far, the best part of the trip was the homestay experience. I felt like a small part of the bigger Spanish community. When I returned home my dad said they was a big improvement with my Spanish. This program was great and I hope that I can return to Spain soon!

Maybe less trips during the homestay.

Madrid, Galicia, and the Camino de Santiago

Whether we asked strangers for directions in the streets of Madrid, ate a late dinner of almejas with our host families, or walked 20 kilometers a day while enjoying the beautiful vistas of the Camino de Santiago, this trip is truly an immersive experience for those wishing to work on their Spanish and Gallego, and to learn more about the beautiful Spanish culture.

About The Experiment in International Living

The Experiment in International Living provides 3-, 4-, and 5-week summer programs for high school students who want to connect deeply and engage meaningfully with the richness and complexities of another country.

Programs equip students not only...