Spain: Cultural Discovery

Land in Spain’s capital, Madrid. Begin practicing Spanish as you navigate the city and visit Madrid’s “museum mile” to see art by artists such as Picasso and Dalí. Order tapas in local cafés as you visit the Habsburg district. Take an excursion to historic Toledo.

Travel to a new region for your homestay. Spend two weeks immersed in a Spanish community. Your Spanish skills will grow through interactions with your host family. Participate in flamenco classes, attend workshops about multiculturalism, and learn how to make paella in a cooking class. Your discovery of Spain’s cultures will continue as you and your group travel to Barcelona, Spain’s second-largest city. Visit Barcelona’s numerous UNESCO World Heritage sites, parks, and the Picasso Museum. See the architecture of Gaudí and shop along La Rambla, Barcelona’s famous central street, and travel to the seaside town of Sitges. Return to Madrid for a final day of exploration.

• Arts
  • Culinary
  • Outdoor Activity
  • Language
  • Homestay

Emma

LOVED IT!!!!

I had the most incredible time on this trip, it's hard to put into words. I loved my group, my leaders, my homestay, and last but certainly not least, I loved the country and their incredible cultures. We did so many fun activities such as learning to cook Paella or biking through a park in Valencia to the City of Arts and Sciences. Every minute of this trip was amazing and if I had the opportunity to do it again, I would.

A bit more free-time would have been nice, but it was also fun to participate in all the scheduled activities.
Veronica

Spain

Overall this was such an amazing experience I'll always cherish with me. I've gotten to make new friendships with people I never knew before the trip. The homestay experience was integral to the cultural immersion, and it was an experience I'll never forget. At times there were random itinerary changes, which was sometimes frustrating. Regardless, this was truly a trip I'd do over again if i had the chance to.

Mike

My Trip to Spain

When I went overseas I had my doubts about Spain, and the challenges it would present. However, I soon learned my group members and my homestay family would support me throughout the trip. By far, the best part of the trip was the homestay experience. I felt like a small part of the bigger Spanish community. When I returned home my dad said they was a big improvement with my Spanish. This program was great and I hope that I can return to Spain soon!

Maybe less trips during the homestay.
Jared

Madrid, Galicia, and the Camino de Santiago

Whether we asked strangers for directions in the streets of Madrid, ate a late dinner of almejas with our host families, or walked 20 kilometers a day while enjoying the beautiful vistas of the Camino de Santiago, this trip is truly an immersive experience for those wishing to work on their Spanish and Gallego, and to learn more about the beautiful Spanish culture.

Nothing

About The Experiment in International Living

The Experiment in International Living provides 3-, 4-, and 5-week summer programs for high school students who want to connect deeply and engage meaningfully with the richness and complexities of another country.

Programs equip students not only...