• Spain

Program Details

Apartment Host Family Hotel
Spanish

Pricing

Program fee includes all lodging, meals, activities, conferences, in-country transportation, health insurance, experienced group leaders, and 24-hour on-call support. Excludes international airfare.
What's Included
Accommodation Activities Meals Transportation
What's Not Included
Airfare
Nov 17, 2021
Sep 29, 2022
1 traveler is looking at this program

Land in Spain’s capital, Madrid. Begin practicing Spanish as you navigate the city and visit Madrid’s “museum mile” to see art by artists such as Picasso and Dalí. Order tapas in local cafés as you visit the Habsburg district. Take an excursion to historic Toledo.

Travel to a new region for your homestay. Spend two weeks immersed in a Spanish community. Your Spanish skills will grow through interactions with your host family. Participate in flamenco classes, attend workshops about multiculturalism, and learn how to make paella in a cooking class. Your discovery of Spain’s cultures will continue as you and your group travel to Barcelona, Spain’s second-largest city. Visit Barcelona’s numerous UNESCO World Heritage sites, parks, and the Picasso Museum. See the architecture of Gaudí and shop along La Rambla, Barcelona’s famous central street, and travel to the seaside town of Sitges. Return to Madrid for a final day of exploration.

Program Highlights

• Gain an insight into the differences in Spanish cultures across distinct regions while exploring Barcelona, Madrid, Toledo, and Valencia.
  • Experience authentic Spanish culture through flamenco shows, visits to art galleries, tapas tasting, and interactions with locals.
  • Get to know other members of your group during activities and discussions, and make new friends.
  • Explore diverse neighborhoods, and sample Spanish cuisine along the way.
  • Become fully immersed in the daily life of a Spanish family and community by taking part in their activities.

The Experiment in International Living Scholarships

The Experiment in International Living offers a variety of need-based and merit-based scholarships to worthy high school students looking to participate in their program. The eligibility requirements vary depending on where you live and other demographics -- and your GPA is taken into account for some scholarships too.

$250 - $5,000

• 5 rating 83.33%
  • 4 rating 16.67%
  • 3 rating 0%
  • 2 rating 0%
  • 1 rating 0%
Kimberly

CULTURAL DISCOVERY IN SPAIN

Being in a new country with people you've never met is a duanting idea at first. I was nervous and kinda regreting my decision of even getting on the plane, but as soon as I got there I was greeted by my group leaders, and I started getting excited. From there everything went by quickly, meeting the full group, then security, then landing, motel, exploring spain, etc. Everything was quick and you had something to do everyday! Whether it was going to museums, cathedrals or new cities, you had something to do everyday. Homestays were one of the times thing went slower. Living with a new family was pretty nerve-wracking, especially since at the time I was sick. My biggest fears were getting the rest of the family sick or being disrespectful in any way. Thankfully, my family was so kind and understanding! They'd take us on small trips around Valencia, showing us landmarks, museums, beaches, and let us walk around the city. Truly one of my most memorable moments was anytime the whole family was together. Being able to see and be a part of a family, and experiencing their day to day was truly memorable. Although I know Spanish, I noticed that my family did try to make a slight effort to teach it to those that didn't. Advice I have for homestays is to definitely try to communicate. It might be hard at first but being able to talk to your homestay family is super important and can add to the experience!

Pros
  • Being more independent
  • Out of comfort zone
  • Being social
Cons
  • Heat wave
  • Somewhat tiring
Imani

My Spain Trip

This summer I went with the experiment to Spain. I had a lot of fun with my experiment group, and made what I believe to be long lasting friendships. I was very immersed in the Spanish culture, and was able to learn the Spanish language as well. I would definitely recommend this to anyone who is worried about leaving the country without any guidance. It’s also great for people who do not have the means/experience to travel on their own or with family. It is a fantastic first step for seeing the world.

Pros
  • Made friends
  • Tried new foods
Cons
  • Homestay experience could be better but it was safe and my family was nice
1 person found this review helpful.
Emma

LOVED IT!!!!

I had the most incredible time on this trip, it's hard to put into words. I loved my group, my leaders, my homestay, and last but certainly not least, I loved the country and their incredible cultures. We did so many fun activities such as learning to cook Paella or biking through a park in Valencia to the City of Arts and Sciences. Every minute of this trip was amazing and if I had the opportunity to do it again, I would.

A bit more free-time would have been nice, but it was also fun to participate in all the scheduled activities.
Veronica

Spain

Overall this was such an amazing experience I'll always cherish with me. I've gotten to make new friendships with people I never knew before the trip. The homestay experience was integral to the cultural immersion, and it was an experience I'll never forget. At times there were random itinerary changes, which was sometimes frustrating. Regardless, this was truly a trip I'd do over again if i had the chance to.

Mike

My Trip to Spain

When I went overseas I had my doubts about Spain, and the challenges it would present. However, I soon learned my group members and my homestay family would support me throughout the trip. By far, the best part of the trip was the homestay experience. I felt like a small part of the bigger Spanish community. When I returned home my dad said they was a big improvement with my Spanish. This program was great and I hope that I can return to Spain soon!

Maybe less trips during the homestay.
Jared

Madrid, Galicia, and the Camino de Santiago

Whether we asked strangers for directions in the streets of Madrid, ate a late dinner of almejas with our host families, or walked 20 kilometers a day while enjoying the beautiful vistas of the Camino de Santiago, this trip is truly an immersive experience for those wishing to work on their Spanish and Gallego, and to learn more about the beautiful Spanish culture.

Nothing