Spain: Technology & Innovation in Urban Culture

Spain: Technology & Innovation in Urban Culture

Land in Madrid, where people use innovations such as solar power, 3D printers, and other tech to transform public spaces, providing alternatives to traditional industrial design. Learn about urban design innovations improving daily life for people in cities.

Analyze urban spaces from physical, social, and technological perspectives. Attend innovation seminars, and gain hands-on experience constructing the city with apps, sketch books, 3D printers, and more. Meet innovators who are not only tackling issues locally, but who are also using technology to solve problems on a global scale. Work with entrepreneurs on their prototypes and take on a project of your own. Travel to Valencia before your homestay in the Balearic Islands, where you will engage in urban development activities.

Travel to Barcelona, where you will discuss concepts of urban development. Explore architecturally astounding sites such as Gaudí’s Sagrada Família. Visit the Museu Picasso and the Mediterranean Sea.

• Social Change
Europe » Spain » Palma de Mallorca
Europe » Spain » Madrid
Europe » Spain
Program Categories
The Experiment is the leader in financial aid and scholarships, awarding $2.4 Million in 2016 alone. Program fee includes all accommodations in country, meals, activities, conferences, in-country travel, and 24-hour on-call support. Excludes international airfare.

Lakayla
Washington, D.C

The Best Trip Ever

On this program we learned a lot about different cities in Spain and what changes they have been through and are currently going through. From this information, we brainstormed and came up with many ideas on how we change these cities for the better. On projects we used 3-D printers, laser cutters, models, etc. We also had tons of fun throughout the trip too. We did things such as travel to beaches, bike rides, tours around the city, to staying up late playing cards with each other, and etc. Over all this trip was amazing and it's the people that I met that made this trip so amazing.

The selection of homesteads should be improved. Families should be from and practice the culture of which they reside.

Nikisha
New York

My Awesome Summer in Spain

Reflecting from my whole experience, I realize how vital it is to visit different countries. The culture, lifestyle, history, and language made me appreciate Spain and life outside of the US. When the trip was over, I told my family that I wasn’t ready to leave yet. I miss siesta, my host mother’s seafood and chicken paella, strolling through Las Ramblas in the middle of the night with my friends who I’m still in contact with, and my group dinners where we were always laughing. These moments shaped and made a stressful year into one of my most memorable. This trip inspires me to continue learning Spanish and to take advantage of the study abroad opportunities in college. I was also thinking about pursuing a career where I get to travel to different countries. Even though I dislike long flights, I love being exposed to new cultures and meeting people. My goal for this trip was to find myself and have fun, and this experience exceeded my expectations.

Luis
Minnesota

Eye opening

This is a year that I will never forget. I met a lot of people I consider family or very good friends on this trip that I did not know going into this program and became very good friends with. Also, the experience itself was amazing. From the eye popping murals, architecture, and in general immersion in the country I got I felt as though I was a regular citizen in the country, everyone I met was so nice and relateable that I am glad I got the opportunity to go. I like my homestay family it was really humbling to say the least that what my parents have taught me really helped me in this program and made my bonds with my host family even stronger and with the people in my group even better. For any of you deciding on where to go do this program and don't be afraid to put yourself out there and try new things because sometimes being adventurous can be very gratifying and not everyone has this opportunity so don't squander it.

Just keep doing what you're doing it's working for you

Aisha
Bronx, New York

Once in a Lifetime Experience

The experiment is a great program for student to be apart of. When I was in Spain I was able to learn about the culture and visit important sites, while still being able to pursue my interest of technology and urban development. My group was able to create a model, using 3D printing and laser cutting, to help develop a new park in Madrid. In Valencia we helped promote bicycle riding and bike lanes. Lastly in Mallorca we helped paint a wall to bring color to the area. Through the experiment I have made many relationships and I was able to immerse myself into cultures outside my own. The experiment really gave me an amazing opportunity and I highly recommend others to take part in this program.

More of a balance between technology and urban development would improve the program.

Alex
San Francisco, CA

An Experience to Remember

This program was an amazing opportunity to both discover and understand an urban culture that is very different from what you're used to. You'll be able to design and create your own 3D models using 3D printers and laser cutters, while simultaneously learning about tourism and it's effects to urban designs. This program nurtures your curiosity about the world and how much you can impact it. You won't ever forget the experiences and memories you can make in this program

Wyatt
Bronx

Best Summer Ever

My time in Spain has made it the most memorable summer I have had so far. I worked with 3D printers and laser-cutting technology. It was also very eyeopening to witness the effects of tourism, which are often overlooked. I made many close friends and had a bunch of laughs. I have grown to be more independent and felt very comfortable away from home. My homestay experience immersed me into the local culture. I love Spain and would totally do it over again if I had the chance. Overall, I cannot wait to study abroad in college.

Make it longer!

The Experiment in International Living provides 3-, 4-, and 5-week summer programs for high school students who want to connect deeply and engage meaningfully with the richness and complexities of another country.

Programs equip students not only with essential cultural and, in many cases, language