• Italy

Program Details

Host Family Hotel
Italian

Pricing

Program fee includes all lodging, meals, activities, conferences, in-country transportation, health insurance, experienced group leaders, and 24-hour on-call support. Excludes international airfare.
What's Included

Airfare
Dec 06, 2022
Sep 26, 2022
10 travelers are looking at this program

Fall in love with the flavors of Italy as you take in the historic sites of Rome, learn to cook in Asti, and wander along the enchanting canals of Venice. Receive language and culinary training from renowned institutions.

Prepare for bold flavors and aromas as you embark on an Italian culinary adventure and learn about the communities, traditions, and cultures that produce the country’s legendary cuisine. This culinary Experiment explores the importance of seasonal, organic, and locally grown foods in different regions. Explore the food cultures of the different regions of Italy as you make your way from Rome, to Florence, to Asti. Whether you’re making pasta, tasting olive oil, or sampling homemade desserts, you will deepen your understanding of the intimate connections between food, culture, and sustainability within the context of Italy and beyond.

Program Highlights

• Dive into the unique flavors of Italy while receiving culinary training from experts.
  • Explore different food cultures in Italy during visits to Rome, Florence, and Asti.
  • Deepen your understanding of the connections between food, culture, and sustainability in Italy and beyond.
  • Learn basic Italian and practice with your homestay family as well as with local people while buying in outdoor markets
  • Visit different places of interest, such as the Colosseum and Etruscan Museum.

The Experiment in International Living Scholarships

The Experiment in International Living offers a variety of need-based and merit-based scholarships to worthy high school students looking to participate in their program. The eligibility requirements vary depending on where you live and other demographics -- and your GPA is taken into account for some scholarships too.

$250 - $5,000

• 2 rating 0%
  • 1 rating 0%
Lucas

Italy Experiment

This is a very impactful trip. I learned new things made new friends and have skills I can use later in life. When I met everybody we were all quiet at first but as we traveled more we all became really good friends. We all did not like the heat considering it was in the Hundreds. We all took lots of pictures at the art museums, at the restaurants and even at the country side itself. When we all went to our host families we all made some really good memories but they were very sad just like us when we had to go. But we all still remember and love them. This trip was so much fun I might think about coming back

Pros
  • Great food
  • Rich History
  • Kind People
Cons
  • Hot weather
  • Lots of walking
  • The streets were dirty
Abigail

Italy: Cuisine and Culture

I went on The Experiment in International Living's trip to Italy this past July and it was an incredibly unique and exciting experience. I got to see new places and experience new things all while learning about Italian culture and cuisines and connecting with the other kids in my group along the way. The in country partners and individual group leaders were amazing and really helped the trip go smoothly. Overall it was a very positive experience and I would recommend it to anyone who wants to really get a feel for many of the different parts of Italy.

Pros
  • Educational
  • Interesting
Cons
  • Hot
  • Lots of walking
  • Minimal language preparation
Leona

Can't Wait To Go Again

On my trip to Italy, I did many different activities and explored many ancient places. I started off in Rome and I explored the ancient city and New Rome. I ate my first pizza in Italy and had delicious pasta. I got to walk around and go shopping and see the beautiful sites. I ate many flavors of gelato throughout the month and never got tired of it. It was a nice snack to cool down on in the hot weather. When I got to my homestay I got to meet my family and connect with them. They took me to their beach house for the weekend and they also took me on their boat. That was a nice way to spend time with my family and also get to relax on the beach. This was one of my favorite moments because the water was so clear and I was relaxing while having fun. My homestay family cooked many delicious foods that I very much enjoyed and I had a blast with them. On this trip, I also took cooking classes which were really cool because I got to learn how to cook traditional Italian foods and it came out great. I was able to take back what I learned back home and share it with the people I know. This was a once in a lifetime trip that I will never forget and something everyone should experience first hand.

When you guys are on your trip don't worry about missing home and enjoy your time there. Take in what you see around you and be in the moment. Learn about where you are and take it all in. After the month is over you will be back home to your regular life. Don't be in a rush to come back and just have the best time where ever you are going.
Aniyah

Best Memory Ever

Never did I ever think I would have the opportunity to cook in Italy!! It was so much fun, I ate more pizza, pasta, and gelato than I can count. Each place we visited: Rome, Cortona, Florence, Cosenza, Asti, and Venice, we all beautiful and all different from each other. I never got tired of eating the food and comparing ti from place to place! My favorite part of the trip was definitely homestay. Meeting people my age and seeing the differences and commonalities we shared were great! My host family was wonderful and I adore them all so much ! Experiencing a different culture opened my eyes to what I was missing in my life, and that I do need to travel the world and make multiple stops in Italy! I would do this program again if I could.

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
I would eat more gelato and pizza!!! So authentic ;)
Hailey

Fun trip!

You will really get the chance to taste Italy. We had tons of pizza, pasta and gelato. We were able to make many authentic dishes during the culinary training. Italy is such a beautiful country, we were able to see all sides of it. Venice, Rome, Asti, Cortona, Cozensa, all absolutely stunning in their own ways. Everything about the trip was great, the leaders, the group, the food, and the adventures. Without a doubt I would recommend this trip. You will have the opportunity to learn Italian in the lessons. Personally, I loved the homestay. You will have the opportunity to be part of another family and learn their culture, customs and way of life. This is something fun to do and spend your summer out in another country. Overall, the trip was so great!

I wouldn't improve anything. It is a great program.
Estefania

Italy -- More Than Sights

I never believed Italy, the tiny little boot by the Mediterranean, could teach me so much in a matter of days. This was my first experience--traveling alone--without my family or friends, but with strangers from all over the U.S. On top of that, I experienced and was entirely immersed in a culture, that was seemingly not like my own, but that I connected to by the end of the program.
I adored my homestay family, I even text them on a regular basis now that I am home! Although, I did miss home. I won't deny it. I knew I was in another foreign country, one I hope that others get to visit, and not only to check off a tourist-like list. The culture is so vibrant and nearly everything in Italy is gorgeous. However, Italy wasn't about its aesthetic, but rather what it allowed me to learn. For the first time in my life, I was taught, that even with a language barrier, people are all interconnected.

Italy, at the moment, is facing a lot of immigration issues and corrupt policies, just like back home. In Houston, there are constant protests and rallies held in support of immigrants, the Black Lives Matter movement, Women's Rights Movement, and many more. In Italy, protests were consistently held in Rome, and I appreciated it. Italy was not just another place for a vacation, but rather to engage with. My host family and strangers--that I now call friends--taught me this, and I couldn't be more thankful for it.
If anyone is reading this, I hope that when you travel, you also get to enjoy the unique culture and not simply spend endless hours in gift shops.

Michelle

My Experiment

I had a wonderful experience in the Experiment's trip in Italy. I was able to learn so much about Italian culture and their language, especially during my homestay. One of my greatest memories from this trip was actually the first night of my homestay. My homestay sister and her cousin brought me to a festival in the center of a town called Cetraro. It was such a beautiful night. The streets were decorated with purple, blue, and white lights from above and crowded with vendors selling snacks and trinkets. In the center of the festival, people were swaying to the music a band was playing and children gaped at amateur acrobats performing tricks from a dangling hoop. I think one of the best parts of the trips was the homestay even though I was so nervous about it from the beginning. One of the best ways to overcome this feeling is to be yourself, keep an open mind, and put some effort into speaking with your homestay family in a different language no matter how embarrassed you might feel. Just don't forget to have fun and do your laundry!

maybe some community service
Aniyah

Italy Experience

In many ways, I feel like the Experiment has provided me a lifelong experience which has changed me tremendously. The way that I act now in the states is because I realized that I couldn’t run from my problems and that I’ll have to face them. There was nowhere for me to run and hide anymore. On this trip I’ve learned and explored so much that I’ll never see in the United States of America. Italy was my first time going out of the country which was a major thing to my family and I.
On this trip my people’s skills has really changed because I made friends and family in a time spare of 30 days. In the United States, something like that wouldn’t happen because I have my own set of family and friends to be with all of the time while in Italy I had nobody that I knew. I view myself as a more efficient leader because I can move/ inspire people to expand their horizons. And for that I thank you Experiment!

This program can be improved by having more outgoing mentors. This program should also have more fun activities rather than always going to visit churches.