YFU High School Study Abroad Program in Sweden

Whether you take classes at a local school or participate in a special program for visual art or music, you'll experience what daily life is like for Swedish students. As you improve your grasp of the language by practicing both in the classroom and with your host family, you'll be able to connect more to your host country. Exploring the beaches, cities, and wildflower fields of Sweden will leave you with a deep appreciation for the country.

During your stay for the year, you may also get to experience a few fun excursions to Stockholm and Lappland. Activities on this trip have included hiking, guided tours of the flora and fauna, a trip to Narvik (Norway), learning about military and Sami history, and of course appreciating the beautiful scenic surroundings.

Aina

Semester Abroad (6 months) with YFU in Stockholm, Sweden

Hello! My name is Aina Swartz and I am currently a senior at Mercer Island High School in Seattle, WA. The six months I spent studying abroad in Sweden with YFU last year absolutely changed my life. I had the time of my life and grew so, so much as a person. I stayed with a host family (a mom, a dad, and two younger kids) in a suburb of Stockholm called Huddinge, which was only about 20 minutes by train into downtown Stockholm. My school was absolutely amazing- my class was full of immigrants who were so welcoming. Not only did I get to try Swedish food, but I also tried amazing Turkish food for the first time in my life as one of my good friends was from Turkey! My host family was very nice, and spending Christmas with them was very fun, even if I did miss my family :) I made so many life-long friends while in Sweden. Even though I only spent 6 short months with them, I know I will never forget them. This trip was really life-changing- not only did it confirm my desire to study international relations at university, but it also exposed me to real social problems in that part of the world such as the refugee crisis.YFU was so great about helping me with any dilemmas that came up during my trip, and I even volunteered with their Swedish Office as a speaker at the weekly information events for prospective Swedish exchange students. Overall, my time in Sweden was absolutely amazing, and I would recommend it to absolutely anyone.

I would have liked to have more orientations, as they were so much fun! Also, I think receiving the contacts of other students that had gone on exchange to Sweden would have been something nice to receive before embarking on my journey!
Misha

A Life-Changing Year

I started my exchange year as a 15 year old and experienced ten months of soul-searching, discovery and laughter. During my short time in Sweden I found a host family that means the world to me, friends that remain close to this day, a new language that represents hard work, a second home waiting for my return and countless cherished memories. The liberating feeling of independence and responsibility that came to me at such a young age helped to shape me as a global citizen with a deep appreciation for different cultures and people. YFU gave me the opportunity to change the trajectory of my education and career plans by introducing me to a world of possibilities. Studying abroad is one of the most amazing things you can do as a high schooler, and I'm always grateful I took a chance and went on the adventure I did.

While every student gets out of a program what they put in, YFU does a fantastic job of providing the support and inspiration necessary for every individual to potentially experience something life-changing. As a whole, the organization - YFU Sweden especially - went above and beyond my expectations to become something of a second family to me throughout my year.

About Youth For Understanding (YFU)

YFU participants gain intercultural understanding, learn mutual respect, and develop a sense of social responsibility. Your experience abroad gives you leadership competencies necessary to meet today’s challenges and benefit from the opportunities of...