AFS High School Study Abroad Program in Sweden

AFS High School Study Abroad Program in Sweden

Year: Attend high school in Sweden for one full year while living with a host family and experiencing this progressive and beautiful country. With Sweden's vastly changing landscape from the Arctic Circle down to the shores of Denmark, there are unique advantages to nearly every city and town in the country. In the north, you will experience the famous midnattsol, or Midnight Sun, in the warm months. And in the south, you will be see sparkling canals and inlets in every direction. In general, Swedes are very sports-minded. Skiing, ice hockey and bandy (related to hockey) are all popular in the colder months, and in the warmer months they do just about everything they can outside. Depending on your age, you will either be placed in the last year of junior high (grade 9), or in the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd year of gymnasieskola (secondary school). You will most likely attend a public school. Most classes are structured for lecturing with occasionally classroom discussion.

Europe » Sweden
Program Categories

Maggie
Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Experience of a Lifetime

Going to Sweden with AFS was by far the best decision I've ever made in my entire life! I came to the country pretty shy and, quite honestly, not really sure of who I was as a person. While I had my own struggles with my living situation and host family (which a lot of people have no matter what program or country they choose), foreign exchange completely changed my life. In the 10 months I was abroad, I made amazing friendships and experienced things that I never thought possible. Best year ever!

The one complaint I had about my year was the host family and how AFS dealt with it. AFS is an amazing program worldwide, but the specific staff at AFS Sweden could use some improvement. The volunteers were amazing - don't get me wrong! - but when I tried to switch families, the head staff at AFS really didn't take me seriously. It took me a total of 5 months to get switched out! And AFS told the family that I switched from in a less-than-perfect manner, which I was left to clean up with. That experience in itself taught me a lot, which I'm grateful for, but I could've gone without it and it would've saved me a lot of heartbreak.

Sarah

High School in Sweden

This was the best experience of my life. I lived in a small town and made friends immediately. I learned the language and adapted to the culture. I was able to bring a part of my heritage with, as well. Being Jewish in Sweden was hard, but I was able to teach and celebrate my culture and traditions. In addition, I was able to learn about Sweden's culture and holidays. It is a place I feel I can be myself. Sweden is a second home to me, and I thank AFS everyday for allowing me this experience.

One of the hardest things is going home. I would like to see more assistance in preparing for going home, as well as support once done with the program.

AFS-USA (formerly the American Field Service), a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, is a leader in intercultural learning and offers international exchange programs in more than 40 countries around the world through independent, nonprofit AFS Organizations, each with a network of volunteers, a professionally staffed office, and