Thailand’s emphasis on friendliness, fun (sanuk), and tranquility make it a wonderful place to spend your summer. With this six-week program, you can have an international high school experience without missing any classes back home. You’ll live with a Thai host family and attend a local school to learn the language and become a part of the community. Not only will you get a life-changing study abroad experience, you’ll be able to see the full spectrum of Thai culture by engaging in daily customs. You may also have the chance to participate in cultural activities like cooking, Thai handicraft, and Thai boxing. Other activities such as dancing, sword fighting, boxing, music, cooking, meditation, and arts & crafts might also be available. This is your chance to immerse yourself in Thai culture while traveling the world and becoming part of an international community!
Summer community service: This seven-week summer program will give you an unforgettable experience through engaging in community service, living with a Thai host family, and making friends from around the world. Projects range widely and appeal to a number of different passions and skills; past opportunities have included working as an English teaching assistant, volunteering at a hospital, and developing programs related to health and youth social issues in schools. Thai food is some of the world's tastiest cuisine. You will likely eat a lot of rice, paired with curries, fish and vegetables. Spicy pepper and peanut sauces are quite common, and fresh fruit is available year-round. Most Thai families share the evening meal together. On the Thailand summer program, there are numerous ways to engage with the community, form lasting friendships, and make a difference in the life of others. You could teach English and serve as a teacher's aide in a traditional school, assist secondary school health or physical education teachers develop programs to reduce problems in schools or highlight social/health issues, or work in a local hospital. Regardless of your project, you can earn up to 105 hours of community service credit.
- Immerse yourself in Thai – the best way to become fluent.
- Make connections and memories you'll never forget with other AFS exchange students from all over the world.
- Live with a host family to deepen your immersion and connection to Thai culture. If you’re like most AFSers, you won’t want to leave this second family and home.
- Sample delicious Thai cuisine, including pad thai (pan fried noodles, satay (pork or chicken on a stick with peanut sauce,) and tom yum kung (lemon-flavored soup with shrimp).
- Become a global citizen. Gain intercultural communication skills. Build your college and career resume. Help create a more peaceful, understanding world.
AFS-USA Grants & Scholarships
The opportunity to study abroad should be available to everyone, regardless of their financial means. Annually, we award scholarships to about half of our study abroad students.