Loop Abroad - High School Veterinary Service Program

Loop Abroad - High School Veterinary Service Program

In this two-week program, you’ll work and learn alongside veterinarians at an elephant sanctuary and a dog rescue. Students live among the elephants and care directly for them while providing check-ups and procedures to dogs in need. This program is divided into two weeks. In one week, students work with our staff vet to care for dogs at the ARK (Animal Rescue Kingdom) dog shelter in Chiang Mai, Thailand. Students learn how to assess the dogs' health by performing exams and get hands-on practice providing medical care. The other week is spent at the Elephant Nature Park, providing love and support for the 40 elephants who live there.

This program is open for high school students (ages 14-18) who are interested in becoming veterinarians or working professionally with animals. Prices are all-inclusive (less airfare) and financial aid is available.

Asia » Thailand » Chiang Mai
Asia » Thailand
Program Categories

Sarah
Denver, Colorado

Travel Really "Thais" Us Together

When I was in Thailand, I met some really great people. Probably one of my favorite memories has nothing to do with Thailand, but the people I met there. With the Loop Abroad program in Thailand, you travel throughout the country in buses with the back open and windows that can open. My group brought a speaker with us on this bus and we listened to music from one of the girls' phones. Our vet, Dr. D., also traveled with us on the bus. One day, we were listening to music on the bus and the song "I Don't Mind" by Usher came on the speaker. When Dr. D. heard the lyrics to the song, she became surprised at them. In fact, she changed all of the lyrics to fit the veterinary field, changing words such as money to shots and such. We all laughed so much that she kept doing it for the rest of the songs we heard. It was such an awesome experience. The girls that I spent this experience with ended up being some of my best friends, and we became each others' support systems throughout the trip.

If I had to change one thing about this program, I would definitely ask to spend more time working with the elephants at the Elephant Nature Park. However, I understand that this is dangerous, so I realize it probably isn't a realistic request.

Alexis
Monett, Missouri

Loop Abroad High School Vet- Life Changing Program

From beginning to end, the high school vet program with Loop Abroad was an amazing experience. The staff is incredibly supportive and engaged in everyone who attends the program. My parents were very apprehensive to allow me to go to another country and one of the founders, Adam, made to sure to answer the many questions my mom asked him over multiple phone conversations. While traveling with the program, whether that was to Thailand, in Thailand, or coming back from Thailand; I felt very safe. I experienced so many eye-opening things and enjoyed having the opportunity to socialize with our designated Thai staff member everyday. One of my most fond memories is that of planting grass at the Elephant Nature Park. Myself and one other girl from my group went with participants from other Loop groups to go plant grass for the park. My groups’ Thai staff member, Jane, came with us. After we had been planting for no more than five minutes, it started to downpour. We kept planting but we soon got off track when Jane and another Thai staff member, Say, started a mud fight. After the fight, we cleaned off by swimming across the river instead of riding back in the trucks we came in. With the Loop Abroad program you are able to make unique and special memories like this because the staff take time to give you those opportunities. On top of being a fun travel program, it is also very informative. My groups' vet, Christy, was a very good teacher and created a productive learning environment for everyone involved.In addition, after the end of every groups' time in Thailand, the Loop abroad staff has the participants fill out a survey. They want your honest feedback and take it to heart. After you return home, Loop Abroad still keeps in touch with you by offering different opportunities they come across. I would highly suggest this program to anyone wanting to learn more about veterinary medicine, as well as anyone wanting to experience an amazing culture, and making lasting memories while doing so.

The one thing I would change is making sure that everyone got the time they needed in every veterinary skill. Though everyone gets a chance to try each skill or technique, there were times when unplanned opportunities came up. I was grateful to be able to assist and learn in those opportunities, but as a result I missed some practice time on suturing that I was unable to make up.

Brianna
Hartford, Vermont

Amazing experience

I went to Thailand with Loop Abroad for a Highschool Veterinary Program to learn about and experience Elephants, and cats and dogs.I was able to spend a week with elephants at the Elephant Nature Park about an hour outside of Chiang Mai and another week taking care of dogs at the Animal Rescue Kingdom in Chiang Mai.

While I was at ENP, I learned about the daily responsibilities the elephant caretakers had as well as wound management. Many elephants in their care have foot injuries from stepping on landmines as they were crossing the Burma-Thailand border. I had the opportunity to treat one of the elephants who stepped on a landmine, her name is Thai Koon. Even though she has received treatment for her injury for over three years she still has a large hole in her foot. I cleaned it out with multiple q-tips to remove the dirt then I wash it out with an iodine solution, and lastly I applied a purple antiseptic spray. At ENP they have over 450 dogs and around 300 cats, during our down time we were able to help the veterinarians deworm them by making treats with the medicine inside. I made about a hundred treat balls which included rice, beef, fish, chicken, and wet food and then estimated each of their weights and gave them the treat with the appropriate dosage.

The last week in Thailand I went through a veterinarian workbook with 6 other girls guided by our veterinarian, Dr. D (DVM). We learned skills such as how to restrain animals, how to draw blood, how to give the three types of injections, as well as other skills needed in surgery. I had the opportunity to be on the anesthetic and surgical team for dog and cat neutering surgeries. Going to Thailand and learning these basic Veterinary skills while bonding with all the amazing people who were in the program and the very supportive staff was a once in a lifetime experience. I would recommend this program to anyone who is considering being a veterinarian, working in this field and to anyone who loves animals.

The only thing that could improve this program would be experiencing more of the Thai culture and learning the language.

Sabine
Chicago, IL

Best Trip By Far

This trip was truly a once in a lifetime experience. I learned so much, met amazing people and lifelong friends. To be honest, I was a bit hesitant at first. Going on a trip with people you met 2 hours ago is not something I prefer to do but the staff and all the students were extremely nice and everyone had the same thing in common-we all love animals! Experiencing Thailand first hand is incredible. We got to go to the evening markets, try bizarre fruits and stuff our faces full with the best Thai food! We also learned a bit of the Thai language as well as the culture which was extremely interesting and something completely new.

The 2 week trip consisted of spending one week at Elephant Nature Park (ENP) and the second week in Chiang Mai at Spicy Thai. Both weeks were equally as great but living at ENP allowed me to meet some pretty amazing people. The program involved a lot of hands on with the animals as well as learning basic veterinary medicine.

Most importantly, through this trip, I have learned and discovered more about myself as an individual and what I really want to do in the future.

Thank You Loop Abroad and everyone involved! This is an experience I'll never forget!

Faith
Rose City, Michigan

Loop Abroad!!♡♡

This was my first time outside of Michigan (the state I live in). I am so pleased that I decided to travel with Loop. From the moment I got to New York I knew it was going to be great. The staff was very helpful into helping me get to my hotel for the night. Once we finally got to Thailand I met more staff which made things even better!! I think my favorite part would be when my group all bonded together while riding down a river through the Elephant Nature Park! This entire trip was just phenomenonal, from meeting all the elephants and learning how to care for them, to learning to neuter a dog and a cat. Another thing that I loved was trying the different foods! I wish I could tell more but there arnt enough words to describe how amazing this trip was!!

It is almost a perfect program!! The only thing I would ever change about this program is the length. I didn't want to ever leave. It was the best 2 weeks of my life.

Marisa
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Loop Abroad Veterinary Service July 2014 - BEST TRIP EVER

I always found it so funny to tell people I found Loop Abroad's program as I was scrolling through Facebook. After clicking on the link and investigating further (and pushing for my parents to please say yes), I submitted an application, got accepted, and anxiously awaited for July to come. I had no idea this program would make such an impact on me. I was enrolled in the Loop Abroad high school veterinary service program, group 2. For two weeks I was with a group of 10-15 people. In the first week, my group spent time at the Chiang Mai Elephant Nature Park which was founded by Lek Chailert, who has devoted her entire life to caring for all animals. The Elephant Nature Park is said to be one of the most respected elephant conservation efforts in the world. The sanctuary has been recognized by everyone from the United Nations to the United States congress for their work protecting Asian elephants. While there, my group and I were able to assist directly with the Asian elephants reserved there. We learned stories about each of the elephants; their past, what they went through, and how they got to the elephant nature park. Under supervision, we were able to wash the elephants, learn how to feed them, administer "medicine balls", exudating out purulent wounds from the elephants accidentally stepping on landmines, and learning how to harvest the food for them. I was able to go right up to the elephants and hug, kiss, or pet them. Not a lot of words can really describe what it's like when you make eye contact with an elephant, but it does change you. For the rest of our time there, we were able to walk around the reserve, eat our delicious Thai meals provided to us, shop at the street markets, and enjoy the incredible view of the park. There were so many other fun activities we were able to do while staying there, and I was able to create friendships that will last for a long time. Nothing else amazing or aesthetically refreshing can describe what it's like when you get to eat fresh pineapple and deviled eggs on a balcony, and you see the elephants peacefully strolling along the countryside. I will never forget that feeling.

The second week, my group traveled to an animal shelter called the Animal Ark Kingdom, a.k.a "ARK". There, we learned about the basic procedures of caring for animals and veterinary care. We learned how to perform physical exams, blood draws, administering medications, wound care, and surgery. There, I got hands on experience under direct veterinary supervision. I was able to learn the steps into performing neuters and castrations, and was also able to directly assist in these spays and neuters. The experience of ARK helped me begin learning my veterinary skills, and soon I was able to utilize those skills at the Vet Tech Institute as a skilled veterinary technician student. In between, we were able to take little side trips. We were all able to visit the Doi Suthep temple, eat at different restaurants, getting to cuddle and pet tiger cubs and adult Bengal tigers at Tiger Kingdom, and exploring the Chiang Dao Caves on a lantern tour.

Because of this amazing trip, I have been able to impress and inspire others around me. My community's newspaper interviewed me and posted an article in the newspaper, do a presentation about the trip in a college class, and I've been able to use this trip on my resume for jobs and for my vet tech externships; all that I've been able to successfully earn. If I am to pursue a career in zoo/wildlife medicine, I know this experience will make me standout amongst any other potential candidates. I was able to help animals from all walks of life, and the feeling of being able to give to others is a very rewarding feeling. Traveling abroad is a one in a lifetime experience, and I highly encourage everyone to try taking that opportunity.

If I had to change only one thing in regards to the Loop Abroad program, it would probably be the fact that I wish we were able to utilize more college credits. I do now know that Loop Abroad is in fact offering a program where pre-veterinary students can transfer credits to a college, but I do wish they offered this in the high school programs. They all did an excellent job in contacting my travel partners, as I had the opportunity to email them, Skype, and text them. Other then that, the program is very well organized and definately worth the money.

Morgan
Virginia Beach, Virginia

Chaing Mai Thailand, A summer I'll never forget

My name is Morgan and this past summer was my first time being involved in a summer program with Loop. I had an amazing time, and the people were amazing. It’s really easy to make friends on the trip, even for shy and quiet people like me. I made some amazing friends who I still keep in touch with. One thing that was difficult for me though was that I am a picky eater. I’m not a fan of spicy food, so I brought snacks and bought some at the 7/11 while I was there. The 7/11 has a variety of things which helped me a lot when it came to food. I would recommend bringing some snacks, but be willing to try a tiny bit of everything you are offered, I was surprised at some of the things I ended up liking once I tried them. Another obstacle for me was that I get car sick really easily. Even though I had to deal with that, I still had an amazing time with all of the support and care I got from my fellow companions on the trip and the staff members. Everyone was so nice and so willing to help me, and that made me feel ten times better. One thing that stood out to me the most was that my veterinarian gave up going to see one of the temples to stay back with me so I wasn’t alone and did something else with me. It’s one of the nicest things anyone has done for me and that’s just one out of the many things people did to help me. I’m so thankful for everyone that I met on this amazing trip. So, I was involved in the High School Veterinary Service program. Some activities that I loved were getting to work up close with the elephants and the veterinarians at ENP, the kitchen chores at ENP, going to the Sunday Market and the Night Bazaar, getting to volunteer and assist in surgery (neuters) at ARK, and getting to travel with and meet so many amazing people. It’s an amazing opportunity and once in a life time experience. I enjoyed everything about Thailand and recommend that everyone should at least go once. I actually am participating in the college veterinary service program this summer; that is how much I enjoyed my two weeks there. I wish I could’ve stayed longer and did an add on.

The only thing I would change would be the fact that we really didn't do much while we stayed at Spicy Thai. We would volunteer at ARK and then come home. I wish we would've done more on those nights.

Kathryn
Levittown, Pennsylvania

Comfort Overseas

While I was traveling in Thailand with Loop abroad, a series of unfortunate events occurred to me back at home. I learned that I had a friend commit suicide, my grandmother had died of cancer and my uncle had been moved to a nursing home. I got nothing but comfort and support from the program's staff and the people I attended the program with. They kept me going after all the bad news and helped me enjoy my experience even though back home things weren't going so well. Loop Abroad was very helpful in keeping me calm and helping me experience my trip to the fullest under the circumstances.

Don't be so strict about things at the market to the point where people are scared and can barely enjoy the experience.

Amelia
Millerton, New York

The Experience of a Lifetime

This program will truly open your eyes to the world around you. I learned so much about myself, veterinary medicine, and the culture surrounding me. I would not trade the two weeks that I spent in Thailand for the world. I met wonderful, interesting people that I will stay in touch with for life. Being able to spend hours and hours watching, studying, bathing, feeding, and treating elephants at the Elephant Nature Park is truly a privilege. I was moved by the immense spirit that these animals possess and their outstanding intelligence.

The Animal Rescue Kingdom was also fabulous to spend time at. I was really impressed by the depth in which we were able to study and practice veterinary skills each day. Connecting with the dogs and people at the shelter was incredibly rewarding. The last two days at ARK were surgery days, which were very fun and exhilarating. We had a cat neuter day and dog neuter day. During down time, it was nice to begin to say goodbye to all of our furry friends and give baths to the dogs. This was the time when I made my greatest connection with one of the dogs named Nakhon. I will never forget him and maybe one day I can find him a home here in the US.

Although we had down time, there was never a dull moment. Many times I sat with my friends to read and journal, listening to the elephants, birds, and cats. The night markets were very fun and were great confidence builders, especially after you navigated the market successfully and came out where you wanted to.

Overall, if you are an animal lover, are comfortable with being dirty and sweaty (all the time), want an unforgettable experience, are looking for an animal-filled two weeks, and are interested in veterinary medicine, this is a perfect program for you.

Thank you, Loop Abroad!!! You've changed my life.

If I had the chance to add one thing to this program, I would add a day solely devoted to touring Chiang Mai. Although we had one day, I think it would have been nice to add a day to the trip for an added Thailand experience. Of course everyone wants to spend as much time with the animals as possible, but this time would not be compromised if a day were added to the two weeks.

Marijke
Hershey, Pennsylvania

One of the Best Experiences Available

On this trip I learned so much about veterinary practice and the journey of becoming one, which was my main goal. I am usually one to just finish my goal and be quite while I am doing it. This trip helped me to come out of my shell of just completing my goal and being the quite one. I made so many friends and learned so much about the beautiful culture in Thailand. This trip definitely took my experience level off of the farm and into the world. I would suggest this trip to anyone who really wants to learn about being a vet and someone who wants two weeks full of memories for a lifetime. During the trip there was not one time where I felt unsafe. This trip is so rich in knowledge and fun.

There is a great balance of business and free time I believe. I think the only thing that would make it any better, which is already pretty good, is more one on one learning.

Fannie
NYC

The Best Summer Ever

From the minute I arrived at JFK until the minute I returned, I felt that I was in great hands. This was my first trip alone, and I admit I was a bit nervous about EVERYTHING! I needn't have been. By the time we had cleared security I had new friends and people to talk to during the VERY
LONG flight.
Thailand is a beautiful country with kind and friendly people. Of course,
I loved working with the elephants. That is a memory I will keep close in
my heart for the rest of my life. There really aren't words to describe the affect these majestic animals had on me. Learning so much about the plight of elephants has given me a deeper understanding of our relationship with nature. I learned about different societies and
about the worldwide effort to save elephants. I will always keep
that struggle front and center in my life.
I learned so much....about animals and people and myself.
The new friends I have made will remain close. We shared an amazing experience and that brought us so close together.
I have always had an interest in Veterinary Medicine. This experience confirmed for me that I do want to be a vet. We had real hands on opportunities to work closely with vets. It was fascinating.

The program is wonderful.
OK maybe AC at ENP would be nice, but honestly,
I wouldn't change a thing!

This is Loop Abroad's 8th year offering exciting animal and teaching programs in Asia and Africa. We offer summer and semester programs for people who love animals, travel, adventure, and authentic experiences. Each program is an opportunity for students to get hands-on experience with greatly