Summer Volunteer Programs in Thailand

Explore the beautiful and rich culture of Thailand while volunteering. Global Leadership Adventures offer multiple Service Learning Adventures, from orphanage work to caring for elephants:

* The Elephant Village Initiative: Learn about the importance of elephant conservation and how to care for these majestic animals.
* The Elephant Conservation Project: Take your compassion for animals a step further as you work on elephant conservation efforts on a permanent care reserve.
*Cultural Kaleidoscope: Take in all of Thailand - its sights, sounds, and colors - through its vibrant culture.

While volunteering you will also have the chance to zip-line through a rain forest, sight see in Bangkok, hike through jungles to hill tribes, and of course experience food, arts, and music first-hand.

Program Highlight!

The ancient Inca Empire is yours to discover while making a difference in the lives of rural families on our Peru: Service in the Sacred Valley™ program.

It's really going to vary trip to trip, but for my Thailand trip we did service nearly every day, except for when we first arrived. You usually start early in the morning and will have a break for lunch. Some days end at lunch time and some days you will have a lunch break and keep working. For some programs they try and set it up so your recreational adventure activities are on the weekends, but...

• Program Selection 10
  • Pre-departure Help 9.3
  • In-program Support 9.7
  • Impact on Student 10
Amanda

Amazing trip

I loved GLA program and I loved Thailand. I went two years ago and on another program now because I’m not in high school anymore and I wish GLA wasn’t only to high schoolers because it was the best two weeks. They had a schedule and followed it, you were never bored although there was designated down time to relax and chat. It is expensive yes, but 100% worth it for what it provides. I liked how it was both touristy but we did volunteering like it wasn’t just one or another. If you went on this trip, you will be able to explore Thailand. They make sure you can. With volunteering, it was fun and educating and hard but worth the trouble. I made friends for life that I still speak to today, two years later. I wish I did the three weeks but I got so much out even just two weeks.

What was the most unfamiliar thing you ate?
The fruits they have in Thailand, they were spikey on the outside and looked like a clear egg.
Eva

Amazing time!

Hi all! I am a Global Leadership Adventures Alumni and I had an amazing time in Peru, Ghana and Thailand with GLA! I really recommend GLA! The housing experience was great! GLA Peru rented out a hotel in Cusco, for both the 2 week and the 3 week groups. In Ghana we all stayed in a house together and in Thailand we also had a hotel! I felt very safe there! I had never been to Peru, Ghana or Thailand, so I felt that by being there I grew, a lot! I understood much of their culture and what their lifestyles are like. The program staff were very supportive! I felt that I was able to talk to them about whatever I needed, or if I was frustrated with other students! Overall I recommend GLA to all High School age students

Olivia

A Life Changing Experience

Global Leadership Adventures does the best high school volunteer trips hands down. From their staff to their housing everything is so well done! I got to experience life on the other side of the world and come home to apply what I learned into my daily routine. I participated in the Cultural Kaleidoscope program that worked in Thai classrooms to teach English. Even though there was a language barrier I felt empowered by my students and could see the impact I had made. Away from service work, I got the opportunity to be immersed in local culture-my favorite part of Global Leadership Adventures. We got to learn about local history, Buddhist religion, and the poverty issues Thailand faces. I can also now say I have ridden an elephant! How cool is that?!? If you are looking for a trip of a lifetime, a trip to Chiang Mai might just be the one for you!

I would have loved to dive deeper into the culture and the issues the country faces. This is only because it is my favorite part of travel.
Maria

elephant conservation

I went on Global Leadership Adventures elephant conservation program this past summer and it was an amazing experience. first let's talk about the food because it was amazing, both the food we ate at home base and the restaurants we were taken to had amazing food. I learned so much on this trip, learning the truth behind elephant tourism in thailand was eye opening and it is an issue that need to be addressed by more people. The community service is demanding and consists of a lot of hiking but it was a rewarding experience at the end of the day, and the mentors and other students make it very fun. I would highly recommend this trip to anyone who is interested in doing service centered around these amazing animals and/or looking for an unforgettable experience.

i think this program is already wonderful so i'm having difficulty thinking of ways it can be improved
GiannaRamon
Gianna

Cultural Kaleidoscope

This past summer I had the amazing opportunity to participate in one of Global Leadership Adventures' (GLA) Thailand service trips! I went for two weeks to Chiang Man, in northern Thailand, and created lesson plans and later executed them to teach English in public primary schools. Being able to see thoughts and plans become a reality, while also helping expose children to a new language helped create a strong bond and an experience that can only be understood by doing it. There's a lot of service but it's balanced with fun and cultural immersion. We visit temples and markets, meets monks, eat delicious new food, and interact with people, and animals, that you've never met before! The program directors do a great job of prioritizing the service but making it fun also. Every part of the experience has helped me grow, from fundraising to traveling internationally alone to immersing myself across the world. I hope everyone who wants to can have this adventure!

The only improvement I could see would be to have the directors foster the relationships of the participants a little bit more. Maybe in things like team building excerises.
Roxanne

Excellent trip!

My son had an amazing experience with GLA. The support was wonderful, the travel was easy, and the group was a perfect size for getting to know each other in a real way. Nice mix of fun and service. Highly recommend. The flagship program gave them an opportunity to interact with kids and teach in the elementary school, pour a sidewalk at a shelter, and spend time with monks at the temples. I would recommend booking travel with the suggested travel partner, and GLA posts a roster of people going and where they are coming from. The kids met at the hub airport (New York or LA) and went to Hong Kong and then Chang Mai. Well run program! The group still keeps in touch now and is planning to get together over the holidays.

Jared

Gla Thailand

By far the greatest experience of my life! Global leadership Adventures made it so easy and enjoyable to go overseas and help serve a community. They immersed us in the culture and they weren’t afraid to push us to try new things. If you can, it’s a must go! It’s a once in a lifetime experience, and you’ll make great friends along the way! The only problem we experienced was sickness. A few people got sick, but it was nothing that the doctors and staff couldn’t handle! No one let that stop the amazing time we had on our trip

Marlo

Parent Point of View

My daughter went on the Thailand Cultural Kaleidoscope trip this summer through Global Leadership Adventures. I have never seen her so happy upon her return. When she proposed this trip to me, I was very nervous because she would be in a new country without me or anyone she knew. However, I was reading the description of the trip and saw how much service she would be doing and eventually let her go. We spoke to each other every night and she kept telling me how amazing the trip was and that I shouldn’t worry because of how safe it was. They were very strict and secure at all times so there was nothing to worry about. To any parent skeptical of letting their child go away, you should know that my daughter did not feel unsafe at all on the trip and it is a once in a lifetime opportunity. She could not stop talking about her experience when she came back, and people are still telling her how amazing it is that she was able to volunteer abroad!