View Other Details
Discover the beauty of the Himalayas: experience life in remote mountain communities, participate in a meditation retreat, and study traditional arts with local masters.
Since ancient times, travelers, monks, merchants, poets, artists, and warriors have passed through Kathmandu during their journeys across the great Himalayan range. Some never left, and today, a multitude of ethnic groups from across the Himalayan region all peacefully co-exist in the peaks and valley of this dynamic country. Nepal’s rich cultural diversity provides a strong foundation for a larger conversation about the underpinnings of identity, community and spirituality. Our program weaves a path between rural and urban environments and different religious communities as we explore how ancient traditions can survive in a rapidly developing society.
- Students choose a topic of interest and dive into a relationship with a mentor. Some options include music, dance, stone carving, jewelry making, bronze casting, religious traditions, traditional cooking, Tibetan and Ayurveda (ancient Indian) Medicine.
- Delve into a broad introduction to the philosophy and spiritual practices of Tibetan Buddhism and Hinduism. This will include an investigation of yoga, meditation, iconography and symbolism.
- Look at ethnic and cultural diversity, religious traditions, artistic traditions, and current development issues.
- Experience renowned Nepali hospitality Nepali in both rural and urban homestays
- Gain insight into Buddhist teachings and learn basic meditation techniques at a monastery retreat
Where There Be Dragons Financial Aid & 529 Funds
Where There Be Dragons offers need-based financial aid to students that demonstrate reasonable financial need and are excited to engage with communities around the world.