• United States of America

Fall Spring Summer
Dormitory Lodge Tent
Age Max

Pricing

The cost for Colorado River Basin Semester: Sustainable Relationships with Land & Water in the Western USA is $16,400 for three months. Need-based scholarships are available.
What's Included
Accommodation Activities Meals Transportation
What's Not Included
Airfare
Jan 14, 2022
Jan 10, 2022
0 travelers are looking at this program

Travel slowly by foot, train, and boat to connect the Colorado River's ecosystems from alpine peaks to desert canyons. Spend a semester of your gap year backpacking to the source of the Colorado River, studying permaculture and sustainability on local farms, and floating and hike the desert canyons of Utah. Study the history, policy, ecology, and cultures of a complex and diverse region of the U.S. wrestling with identity, development, and sustainability.

The awe-inspiring beauty of this vast region is unique in the world. On this incredible journey, you will forge lasting friendships with your fellow travelers— sharing campfire stories under a blanket of endless stars, finding inspiration while trekking through mountain aspen groves. The desert sunsets that fill the endless skyline and illuminate the twisting sandstone formations will call you back to these special places for years to come.

Scholarships and college credit available.

Program Highlights

• Study controversial land use issues and natural resource extraction practices in the Bears Ears National monument and other public lands
  • Meet with scientists, activists, ranching families, and recreational groups to gain a deeper understanding of the demands on land and water
  • Study permaculture with sustainable farmers and learn about practical solutions for climate change
  • Backpack along the Continental Divide including possible summits of 13,000 and 14,000+ foot peaks
  • Float the red rock canyons of the Colorado River Basin while you learn about complicated demands on this precious resource and how water has carved the magnificent natural beauty of the Southwest

Program Dates

Application Deadline
Program Dates

Julia

Best Experience in my Life

I decided to take a gap year after graduation. It has been a dream of mine to travel the world meaningfully. I did the summer program, and this was the perfect first step for me! It got me out of my comfort zone, find my chains of expectations and break them, and allowed me to learn more about myself than I had for most of my life. I got to see amazing views, and meet amazing people, while doing the things that I love. I would 100% recommend this organization for those who have a heart for adventure!

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
Getting caught up in a storm over storm's pass. We pitched out tents waited it out.