VISIONS: Alaska High School Service Program

This program is your unique opportunity to live in an Athabascan Native village at the base of the Wrangell Mountains and work with the locals during your summer. Here, you'll learn carpentry and other skills for construction projects, from simple sheds to household repair. You'll experience off the land, catching fish and preparing wild games. Weave birch bark with native elders, ice climb, canoe and backpack in the spectacular Alaskan wilderness.

You don’t need to leave the U.S. to experience a culture that feels worlds away. Native Athabascans have been hunting, gathering and fishing along the Tetlin river in Alaska for generations. Join our longtime partners in this remote corner of the united states and get to know people living a unique way of life.

• Community Service.
  • Ice Climbing.
  • Native Alaskan Culture and History.
  • Lifelong Friendships.
  • Backpacking.

Charles

Amazing trip!

I had a great time in Alaska last summer thanks to VISIONS. Not only did I have the chance to get familiar with building and meet amazing people, both locals and volunteers, but I also grew as a person. Meeting with the local population and getting to know their culture/lifestyle was definitely a highlight of my trip. I still remember the ice climbing, canoeing, and camping trip, and now have many amazing memories to look back on. Would definitely recommend it to any high schooler looking for a summer camp/program.

Max

I had the most amazing summer last year thanks to Visions which helped me become a more empathetic and compassionate person. Visions combines making its groups help others and themselves through both community service, and sessions in which the group reflects on the program and themselves. I truly believe that this program can help improve all teenager's lives around the world and I fully recommend it to anyone looking for both an amazing experience, and community service hours. Thank you Visions.

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
I would be open and social from the very start and let myself enjoy the program for it's full time span.
Karen

Excellent experience for my daughter

I am writing this review from the parent perspective. My daughter, age 17 at the time, participated in the Alaska program with VISIONS. I was of course a bit nervous to have her go off as she had never done anything similar and went by herself, not with friends. She just really really wanted to do some genuine service work in an exotic (for her) location, with opportunities to see a bit of the world and have outdoor adventures. She had a *fabulous* time, and came back happier than I've ever seen her, excited about new friends, ice climbing on Glacier, her new carpentry skills, and just thrilled with the whole thing, which she called "the best experience of her life". Highly highly recommended! Staff was helpful and personal despite my worries before we signed up about safety, etc, and they always called immediately and did what they said they'd do to reassure. Staff is highly trained and really committed to this program, many veterans. You will not be disappointed!