Cross-Cultural Solutions: High School Volunteer Abroad in Ghana

Cross-Cultural Solutions: High School Volunteer Abroad in Ghana

As a High School Volunteer Abroad in Ghana, you’ll be welcomed warmly into a colorful tribal culture with your team of global change-makers.

Whether you choose between one, two, and four-week sessions on any of the start dates listed below, you’ll be sharing the experience with a group of your peers, all ages 14-18, and like you, they’ve decided that dedicating their summer to serving others abroad while learning more about themselves is a pretty cool challenge to take on.

We know you’re unique and that you have your own interests, which is why we offer specialized volunteer paths that you can choose from. Select a focus in Education, Technology, Health, or Sports Leadership, or embark on a 4-week Global Health Internship.

And that healthy dose of adventure you’re craving? Don’t worry, you’ll get that too! We know it’s your summer and you want to have amazing stories and photos of natural wonders, mountains,and waterfall swims to share with your friends and family back home.

Africa » Ghana
Deposit

Aleksei
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

A Great Experience Lesson on Perspective, and Knowledge

From mid-June to late-July I spent a month volunteering with CCS in Ghana. It was the best experience, and trip of my life. I taught kindergarten-1 at a local school and orphanage in Hohoe, and I gained so much perspective and knowledge from the children about their culture, customs, and lives. Besides teaching at the school, I also was able to climb the tallest mountain in Ghana, learn how to weave Kente Cloth, visit the capitol of Ghana, Accra, and so much more.
One thing I would have to say is that I wasn't informed about teaching at the local school and orphanage until a couple days before I left. Some of the other volunteers during my stay didn't have the same intentions and values as the rest of the volunteers and I for the duration of our time in Ghana. Overall, the program is absolutely life changing and I hope to visit the children that I became close with, and also the ones who I gave an impact to.

Written in review

Sophia

Great Experience but more initial knowledge about placement would have been valuable

This summer I volunteered at Hohoe, Ghana, with the CCS teen program. It was a life changing experience. I was the last of my group to arrive and when I finally got my luggage I was greeted by a tired, if smiling person holding a CCS sign. His name was Julius, and he was great! Then there was a six hour drive to the home base from Accra. I was quite terrified in the van because we kept on driving on the other side of the road to avoid potholes, but I soon got used to it after realizing that everyone does it. When we arrived, I was greeted by the program supervisors, who insisted on staying up for us even though it was 3:30 in the morning.
Placement is Monday~Friday, and we worked at Happy Kids Orphanage. I wish I had know beforehand that it is a school as well, because we were all very unprepared when we found out we had to teach. I think if we could arrive on a Thursday then spend Friday and the weekend making lesson plans it would be better. I was also not expecting to be able to wear shorts, but it was mostly fine, especially around the home base, as long as it isn't spandex or booty shorts.
I am very happy that I met some fellow volunteers who share my values, although not everyone in the group did, I have become very close to the few who did. This experience has left me with perspective, and I've gotten the rare opportunity to learn about a culture very different to my own. I wish I had stayed three weeks!

See above ^

For 22 years, CCS has been the standard setter for the safest, most meaningful, and enriching volunteer abroad programs while striving to be a global leader in child development and women's empowerment.

Since 1995, over 35,000 people have volunteered with Cross-Cultural Solutions, providing meaningful and