Projects Abroad High School Volunteer Program in Ghana

Travel to Ghana as a High School volunteer in the summer with Projects Abroad. Volunteer programs are offered for 2, 3 or 4 weeks and involve teens in issues like Public Health, Human Rights, and Community development. Immerse yourself in the friendly Ghanian culture, taste the local cuisine specialities!

• Choose a project you are passionate about that fits your interests
  • Volunteer with other teenagers from around the world and make lifelong friends
  • Make a difference where it is needed most
  • Get 24/7 support from the local staff
  • Have fun exploring the country and its culture over the weekends

Victoria

The Best Month of my Life

My month in Ghana with Projects Abroad was anything but ordinary; it was, in simplest terms, a fantastic month which changed my life. But of course, as I left my home in New York and headed to JFK airport, I was more nervous than ever before. The butterflies in my stomach disappeared, however, when I met the Projects Abroad staff member, surrounded by 7 other high school volunteers, who was waiting for me at the gate. After quite a long flight, we emerged from the Ghanaian airport to find two more smiling staff members waiting for us. They helped us load the car, and then drove us to our final destination: Cape Coast. Upon arriving at our home stay, they dropped us off, to unpack for the month ahead. After about an hour, another staff member came and gave us a quick orientation. Over the course of the weekend, we met many more staff members and the volunteers who would be staying with us for the amazing upcoming four weeks.

Throughout our time in Ghana, the Projects Abroad staff was always attentive and caring. Our group supervisor, Saeed, quickly became a friend, and we are all still in touch with him. He always helped if we had any questions or concerns, and he is the reason that we all felt so confident in our medical work. Two other staff members, Grant and Enoch, helped teach us how to take blood and blood pressure, and taught us a lot about malaria and cholera, information we later related to students in schools across the city. In our workshop sessions when we would study health issues in Ghana, they answered every question and made sure even I, who has never so much as taken a biology class, could follow along. On the weekends the staff made sure we had plenty to do, taking us to the beach and even the rain forest! We also had cultural events like bead making and drumming and dancing, which we thoroughly enjoyed.

At home, we were immediately welcomed in by our host family, and though we did not often speak with our host mother, two of our host brothers quickly befriended us. They watched TV and played video games with us, and they helped us do our laundry by hand, an endeavor which all of us were wary to complete on our own. We also went out to restaurants with our host brother, and he truly felt like part of the group.

Overall, there’s no other way to describe my time in Ghana except with a radiating smile and the simple fact that it truly was the best month of my life, and I encourage anyone and everyone to experience it for themselves.

N/A
Response from Projects Abroad

Dear Victoria, thank you for sharing with us your amazing experiences in Ghana. It is truly a fascinating country with lots to offer! We understand that this is a very new experiencing for most of our young volunteers - travelling across the world for the first time - so our local staff is happy to go the extra mile to make you feel at home and comfortable, and so are our host families! The medical project is a great way to start exploring the possibility of a career in Medicine, so it's great that you were able to be so helpful even with no previous experience. That's what the project is all about!

Breanna

Law & Human Rights in Ghana

I chose to go overseas to Ghana and work on law & human rights related issues. Going into the program I wasn't too sure what to expect, but I can confidently say it was the best decision I could have made and the experiences and friends I made will surely last a lifetime. The pre-departure stages of my trip were extremely smooth, made possible by Projects Abroad staff and the MyProjectsAbraod page. Once I arrived in Accra, Ghana, I was immediately greeted by friendly Projects Abroad staff and quickly brought to the host family's house where I met a few other volunteers.
The accommodation far surpassed my expectations in relations to cleanliness, space, and food. Everyone in the house was extremely friendly and was ready to accommodate every need you had. Projects Abroad has a multitude of staff in country to assist with your trip. Each High School special placement has their own supervisor who is with you just about 24/7. This interaction provided time to learn about Ghanaian culture and way of life in a casual environment. Being someone who did a 4 week high school special, I had to opportunity to get very close with my supervisor, and we still communicate! The supervisors really do a wonderful job of making sure you have everything you need and check up on you even at the host family's house.
We had the perfect mix of volunteer work, and sight-seeing. During the weekends we went on trips to Cape Coast, Shai Hills, Laguna Beach Resort, Boti National Falls, and more. During the week we met with locals to discuss topics relating to human rights and social justice which was very interesting and eye opening. We also met with lawyers, chiefs, visited the Supreme Court and Parliament, and also taught about human rights in multiple schools.
Regarding safety and health, I think Projects Abroad did a wonderful job of making sure we were aware of our surroundings and that we knew ways to keep healthy and clean. They provided us with bottled water at all times and helped us find street food that would be safe to eat. A few girls in my project did get sick and the supervisors wasted no time taking them to the hospital as soon as the volunteers mentioned they weren't feeling well. Then, they checked up on them everyday to make sure they were taking their medication, etc.
The most amazing part about my experience with Projects Abroad was my opportunity to meet fellow volunteers from around the world. Everyone bonded so fast and being in such close quarters with each other everyday allowed us to become very good friends. This unfortunately made the goodbyes unbelievably difficult, but I'm lucky to have made such good friends that makes saying goodbye so hard.
Overall, my time with Projects Abroad in Ghana was invaluable and irreplaceable and I would recommend this project to anyone looking to learn about human rights, see/visit a beautiful country, and is open minded to new cultures, foods, and experiences!

The only advice I could give projects abroad in relation to my program, would be to train us volunteers a little more on how to go about teaching human rights to kids. We researched a lot and were given plenty of time to prepare for our outreach at schools, but it would have been helpful to know maybe how previous groups had presented.
Response from Projects Abroad

Hi Breanna! We understand that many of our young volunteers are traveling abroad for the first time by themselves so our staff does work very hard to make your adaptation goes as smoothly as possible, both before you actually leave and once you have already landed. We believe that by making you feel safe, comfortable, and supported at all times, you will focus on learning in your project and making new friends - which is what this experience is all about!
It's a good idea to show you what previous volunteers have presented in the past so you have some reference. We don't tend to do this so you are inclined to follow too much on their lead and you can do your own thing but we can definitely try working with this. Thanks for your feedback!

Emaan

Highschool 2 Week Special: Medicine

My volunteer experience with Projects Abroad was an unforgettable experience! I was impressed especially impressed by how passionate the staff members were and how the entire schedule was meticulously organized! The host family was very welcoming and they also had great food. My most-liked dish was Red Red with Rice, it was super delicious!! Whenever I had questions about the culture, the host mom or the daughters would give me thoughtful answers. Living with the family was a gate way for me to learn about the language and the lifestyle! It proved that Projects Abroad thinks through all of their staff placements and the qualities which all of them obtain. The programmers, the men behind the scenes of the program: Grant and Bernard, did an exceptional job in making sure we always felt comfortable and busy! We always had a jam-packed schedule with trips to the hospital, community outreach days, orphanage and school check-up days, etc. I learned an incredulous amount of my current abilities in first aid from the medical advisors Eric and Abigail and they are my inspirations to become a doctor in the future. I hold this experience dear to my heart and will treasure it for the rest of my life.

Although the program had a lot of activities, we would finish early and would do close to nothing for the rest of the day. It was a good resting time, but also would like to have more work. But the actual activity time was great!

About Projects Abroad

Projects Abroad is a global organization formed around the need for gap year programs abroad designed for students taking a break from studying. Since its inception, Projects Abroad has expanded to offer high school volunteer programs, and a vast...