Peru Language Immersion and Service Adventure

Peru Language Immersion and Service Adventure

On this Peru adventure, we whitewater raft the Rio Urubamba, visit the majestic, lost Inca city of Machu Picchu, barter for artisan goods at indigenous markets in Pisac and Cusco, spend an overnight in a remote, indigenous Quechua village to experience traditional, everyday life. This trip also has an optional add-on to boat and snorkel for one week throughout the Galápagos Archipelago!

Students practice Spanish with Peruvian youth, experience a homestay in a small, Peruvian village, and engage in numerous, leader-led language exercises and activities. Community Service is at the heart of every Global Works trip and, on this one, students earn 25-35 community service hours by helping to improve infrastructure for community economic development projects, building classrooms or playgrounds and teaching art, English lessons, or sports in local primary schools.

Program Categories

A one of a kind experience

I loved everyday of the trip through Peru and Ecuador! This was my second trip with Global Works and I waited all year to see what I would learn this time.

The service work was fun and sometimes challenging. But I experienced the difference our group was making first hand and that was exciting.

I will never forget my home stay family. They welcomed me into their daily lives and I learned so much about the culture. I also enjoyed answering their questions about my life and the United States as well.

The other volunteers and group leaders were fun to get to know. Our group was pretty diverse and that made for some lively conversations! Our leaders were always ready to help and kept us on the ball.

The sightseeing was really beautiful! The downtime trips and cultural exchanges were so interesting. The market trips were so colorful. I enjoyed my trip this summer and want to try another Global Works trip next summer.

I was sad that we had a disciplinary "event" during our trip. I feel that part of the overall experience is to follow the rules - they are clear, straightforward and presented to us well before we embark on the trip.

It was life changing

Every day I got to wake up in a real Peruvian house and really see what day to day life was like. I could see the types of things that I might not have seen if I was just a tourist. I got to see my homestay family's jobs and even play with the kids. also I got to see some of the hardships that families in 3rd world countries go through. The entire trip as a whole was eye opening and I am very thankful for being able to go on such a trip, and am looking forward to Panama next summer.

If I had to change one thing it would have been more time on the Galapagos. Even though we got to go to three islands I would have liked more time to maybe hike to the volcanoes and snorkel.

Better than the rest

I have traveled with multiple companies and no program has been as good as Global Works. The leaders were kind, supportive, and excellent mentors, the experiences offered were profound and the service actually made a difference. The confidence and perspective that I gained are still a huge part of my life today. On a trip so well structured and beautifully crafted, you can't help learning something about yourself and the world. I would recommend this trip to anyone and everyone, because they really do travel, safety, learning, and adventure incredibly well. I hold Global Works in the highest regard.

I would move the home stay to the end of the Peru segment, so that you had more time to be together with the group before you were split up.

About Global Works

For more than 27 years, Global Works has been an industry leader in community service-based adventure travel programs for high school students and custom group trips. Much more than a vacation, Global Works international trips are the bridge for...