Peru Language Immersion and Service Adventure

COVID-19 Program Updates

Due to global health & safety concerns and travel restrictions related to the coronavirus, Global Works has decided to pause some of their upcoming programs temporarily and may be offering flexible booking options as well. Learn more about COVID-19 updates to stay tuned regarding program information.

On this Peru adventure, we whitewater raft the Rio Urubamba, visit the majestic, lost Inca city of Machu Picchu, barter for artisan goods at indigenous markets in Pisac and Cusco, spend an overnight in a remote, indigenous Quechua village to experience traditional, everyday life. This trip also has an optional add-on to boat and snorkel for one week throughout the Galápagos Archipelago!

Students practice Spanish with Peruvian youth, experience a homestay in a small, Peruvian village, and engage in numerous, leader-led language exercises and activities. Community Service is at the heart of every Global Works trip and, on this one, students earn 25-35 community service hours by helping to improve infrastructure for community economic development projects, building classrooms or playgrounds and teaching art, English lessons, or sports in local primary schools.

Rosella

Peru Hardcore Service Adventure Review!

During my time in Peru, I was able to fully immerse myself in the culture and take away from all the amazing opportunities the country had to offer. Every day was a new adventure where we met new people, tried new foods and created lasting memories. With the work we did, we got to see the first hand the effects we had on the communities and schools. From learning to make adobe bricks, to working alongside villagers in the mountains of Kajillarakay, we were able to see the true extent of our capabilities when working towards a goal. Throughout the trip we continued to bond and build relationships with each other. During our homestays, we got to practice our Spanish with our welcoming families and create lasting connections with them. They took us under their wing as their own, showing us how to cook Peruvian dishes and telling us about their lives. Every moment spent in Peru was one to remember, as we all have taken so much away from this once in a lifetime experience. The trip leaders were amazing, always there to talk to me when I needed help. It was nearly impossible to feel homesick as we were constantly chatting and having fun as a group. From the memorable bus rides of singing and playing the ukulele to hiking up to the famous ruins of Machu Picchu, our adventure in Peru could not have been better. The two weeks flew by way too fast, and by the end, our goodbyes felt impossible. The hardest part was accepting that for many of us, we would go from seeing each other everyday to not at all. I know we all can agree that our trip with Global Works was definitely one for the books, and a time none of us will every forget. We were so lucky to be able to have had this experience and hopefully encourage others to embark on adventures of their own with Global Works. I cannot thank Global Works enough for the impact this trip has had on me and all the memorable bonds and irreplaceable friends I have made!

What was the most unfamiliar thing you ate?
Anywhere you travel you are introduced to new foods, as every culture is different. However, in Peru the shock was a little greater than trying new spices and flavors. Cuy, or guinea pig is a very common food in Peru. Cooked with different spices on a skewer over a fire oven, this delicacy tastes very similar to chicken or any other white meat. Our group was able to try this daunting rodent in a jewelry shop in Cuzco, Peru. It was definitely an interesting and exciting, new experience for us, one I will always remember:)
Samantha

Peru Trip

The Peru trip was amazing. It made me see the world from a different perspective. I learned a lot of new things like survival skills, being on my own, culture, and most importantly my Spanish improved. The trip was well organized and the trip leaders were awesome. They always made sure they had everything you needed and did health checks. My favorite part about the trip was exploring Machu Picchu, the town of Calca, and doing a homestay. The community was very nice and I felt welcome. Also I love getting to use my Spanish and interacting with the locals. The projects were very fun. I learned a lot from them. When we were installing monkey bars, I learned how to make cement and how to properly use a pick axe. We got to help build a greenhouse for the Sacred Valley project and I made bricks by hand. If you are on the verge of doing this trip, do it. You won’t regret it and you will learn a lot.

My advice is to have an open mind and appreciate what is around you.
Elizabeth

A one of a kind experience

I loved everyday of the trip through Peru and Ecuador! This was my second trip with Global Works and I waited all year to see what I would learn this time.

The service work was fun and sometimes challenging. But I experienced the difference our group was making first hand and that was exciting.

I will never forget my home stay family. They welcomed me into their daily lives and I learned so much about the culture. I also enjoyed answering their questions about my life and the United States as well.

The other volunteers and group leaders were fun to get to know. Our group was pretty diverse and that made for some lively conversations! Our leaders were always ready to help and kept us on the ball.

The sightseeing was really beautiful! The downtime trips and cultural exchanges were so interesting. The market trips were so colorful. I enjoyed my trip this summer and want to try another Global Works trip next summer.

I was sad that we had a disciplinary "event" during our trip. I feel that part of the overall experience is to follow the rules - they are clear, straightforward and presented to us well before we embark on the trip.
Jackson

It was life changing

Every day I got to wake up in a real Peruvian house and really see what day to day life was like. I could see the types of things that I might not have seen if I was just a tourist. I got to see my homestay family's jobs and even play with the kids. also I got to see some of the hardships that families in 3rd world countries go through. The entire trip as a whole was eye opening and I am very thankful for being able to go on such a trip, and am looking forward to Panama next summer.

If I had to change one thing it would have been more time on the Galapagos. Even though we got to go to three islands I would have liked more time to maybe hike to the volcanoes and snorkel.
lbarron

Better than the rest

I have traveled with multiple companies and no program has been as good as Global Works. The leaders were kind, supportive, and excellent mentors, the experiences offered were profound and the service actually made a difference. The confidence and perspective that I gained are still a huge part of my life today. On a trip so well structured and beautifully crafted, you can't help learning something about yourself and the world. I would recommend this trip to anyone and everyone, because they really do travel, safety, learning, and adventure incredibly well. I hold Global Works in the highest regard.

I would move the home stay to the end of the Peru segment, so that you had more time to be together with the group before you were split up.