This program is no longer offered. View more programs from Intrax Global Internships.
Intrax Social Development Internships in Belize - CLOSED

Intrax Social Development Internships in Belize - CLOSED

Belize is on the Caribbean coast, nestled between Mexico and Guatemala. This ideal location offers an intriguing mix of tropical forests, majestic mountains, ancient Mayan temples, and crystal clear waters for diving and fishing.

In one day, you can go from the deep jungle to the longest barrier reef in the Western Hemisphere. We operate two sites within Belize: the charming town of San Ignacio and the tropical paradise of Punta Gorda.

Formerly ProWorld, Intrax acquired ProWorld in 2010. Intrax continues to uphold and advance the program excellency that past ProWorld participants have grown to trust.

From our intern:
"After Belize, I confirmed my ambitions to gain my Master's in Counseling and made it into Drake University's program. In interviews for Graduate School, as well for professional jobs I was asked about my international intern experience every single time." - Ayla, Social Development Internship

• Gain valuable experience and professional skills that you can add to your resume
  • Get matched with a verified sustainable host organization related to your career field
  • Promote positive change and support communities in need
  • Learn about unique cultures and experience an international hands-on work environment
  • Undergo an unforgettable internship abroad and shape your career
North America » Belize » San Ignacio
Age Requirement
Visa Requirement
Your Program Includes:
• Internship placement
• A carefully selected host family for full cultural immersion
• Daily meals
• Health and travel insurance
• On-site transportation and airport pick-up and drop-off stipend
• Project funding and support
• 1-2 cultural excursions
• 24-hour support from our in-country staff
• Access to our office – unlimited filtered water, wireless internet
• Basic cultural/language classes
• Site staff and host organizations to provide necessary guidance and resources
• Professional hands-on internship projects

Scholarships are available! Check out our website for more details. Apply today!

RTurner
Los Angeles, California

Belize has it all...

Belize is such an amazing country and I am so lucky to have spent a month there! I had no idea how diverse it is, in terms of both culture and environment. The program taught me many invaluable lessens about myself and the world around me and definitely changed me for the better. My experience in the hospital in San Ignacio reaffirmed my decision to pursue a career in nursing, and only made me want to participate in more volunteer abroad programs. I made friends from all across the country and was able to explore a completely different country with them. I highly recommend Pro World Belize!

happy_camper
Edinburgh, UK

Clinical Experience in Belize

This was a well-organised program, which meant we all felt very safe and looked after. I was volunteering in a hospital, and I felt like I was put to good use, thus the trip was worthwhile!

We were staying in a homestay, which was great, we got to eat Belizean food and integrate ourselves into the family. In the evenings and weekends proworld organised cultural and social events for us, so we got to see more to Belize than we otherwise would have, and learn a bit of the history.

This was a fantastic experience and I would recommend it to anyone seeking clinical experience, or just broadening your horizons.

peeks
Detroit, Michigan

Professional Development

ProWorld Belize gave me the opportunity to get real hands-on experience in the medical field. From public health ventures to being apart of the emergency room team, the time I spent with ProWorld is something that is invaluable to me. Two thumbs up!

cmsmith1189
Pittsburgh, PA

Healthcare Internship

I had a great time! The workers at ProWorld were very supportive and would help us plan any activities we would want to do outside of the ones ProWorld had for us.

Specifically, I was taking a class at my home university and had to complete a research project. They set me up with people I could interview and told me where I could find the information I was looking for. Also, they would give us suggestions on what tour guides we should use to get the most for our money.

I did have one particular issue with the organization. Their website says that transportation to and from the airport is provided which is misleading. They do pick you up in a van at the airport; however, you must find your own ride back to the airport. You are only given $30 USD ($60Bzd)to do so. This is enough to take a bus from San Ignacio to Belize City and then a cab to the airport. Belize City is not the safest area, and tourists have the tendency to get ripped off the most there. To take a van back it is about $100+Bzd. The van services base the price on how many people they have to take to Belize City that day. They are aware of this issue. I would check with ProWorld to see if they have changed anything, if not I would make sure that you have extra money to return to the airport. I would not let this issue change my mind.

Meagan
Santa Barbara, California
University of California- Santa Barbara

ProWorld Belize in Punta Gorda

Over this past summer, I volunteered with ProWorld. They found a great program that suited my interests (TIDE Conservation), arranged a fabulous homestay for me, and helped make sure I was comfortable. It was a huge comfort being connected to other volunteers, and the weekly check-ins were designed to make sure volunteers were having a great time. Although everyone is welcome to volunteer with ProWorld (we had a 12 year old and a 40 year old in my group!), I would probably recommend this program for college aged people. Punta Gorda is such a nice, peaceful town and I can't wait to go back there again.

Jamie
Duluth, Minnesota
College of Saint Scholastica

Great experience!

My internship in Belize was an incredible experience. My eyes were opened to a culture and way of life that I never knew existed. The experience I had with my host family was irreplaceable. Being set into the home of a Belizean family was the best way to get the whole cultural experience that was waiting for me. The two-week internship that I did at the hospital in San Ignacio exposed me to a different type of healthcare system than the one I'm so accustomed to here in the USA. Although it was difficult to be away from home, it was one of the best decisions I ever made.

bchepuri
Detroit, MI

Wonderful Experience

My experience in Belize was incredible, and I highly recommend it to others! I loved the warmth and comfort of my homestay family, the support of the citizens and staff, and the incredible opportunities that I was exposed to the hospital. I was able to immerse myself in the culture of the city, and spent quality time in the hospital where I worked. The clinic and outreach work was gratifying and I am grateful that I had such a unique opportunity to affect the lives of others, and gain valuable insight into myself as well.

KaitlinM
Not

Pro Belize

They program was amazing and very flexible. It will be exactly what you make of it they are very easy going and helpful if you step and get involved. I was able to volunteer in the hospital 3 times and in the community 2 days. This was a life changing experience.

jkohls83
Chicago, IL
Leeds

A month in cultural and adventure rich Belize

I had the chance to intern for a month this past Summer in Punta Gorda, Belize located in the southern district of Toledo. Going through ProWorld allowed for many of the logistics to be taken care of through them and my intitial conversations with ProWorld staff was very thorough and alleviated any initial fears I had. My homestay while there was more than welcoming and the food was reason enough to go there! Upon arrival I was brought to my homestay and the following day the ProWorld contact in Punta Gorda drove me to my internship which had its main offices ten minutes from where I was staying. Each day I would walk there and then would head out into villages in the interior of Belize. Highlights of this experience definitely would be the people, culture, food and scenery. In fact having to choose between venturing towards the Carribean sea or the Maya Mountains proved difficult at times. I definitely suggest going to Cockscomb Wildlife and Jaguar Preserve, but do not walk from where the bus takes you to the entrance..take a taxi!!! The only difficulties for me with this program was adjusting to the change of pace that comes with Belizean culture. I would definitely suggest anyone to fully understand that the work they seek to achieve will not be on the fast paced style that other countries deem necessary. beyond that, if you are looking for great food, people and insanely breathtaking scenery, I highly recommend this program!!

elstar16
Mexico

ProWorld Belize changed my life!

I volunteered with ProWorld Belize at their site in San Ignacio and it was one of the most life changing experiences of my life. I joined the program a few years out of college, not exactly knowing what I wanted to do and this experience helped me to open up my eyes and really focus in on what was important in my life. I worked on two different projects during my time there - 1. Environmental - I worked on a jaguar project, tracking jaguars in the jungle and studying the importance of a healthy prey/predator ecosystem and then used the information that I found to help others receive a $15,000 grant to help preserve a national park in Belize - it was an amazing and very fulfilling project. 2. I worked at a local nursing home and helped provide physical therapy to the elderly there. That project really helped open my eyes to how well the elderly are treated in Belize and how different nursing homes in Belize are from the United States.

The staff at ProWorld were also awesome as was my homestay family. I loved the experience so much that I have been back 4 times since to visit my friends, check in on my projects and just enjoy the Belizean life. If you want a life changing experience - I would highly recommend ProWorld!

Explore Your Global Opportunities with Intrax Global Internships

Whether you're in finance or public health, our goal is to help you gain professional hands-on experience, improve your communication skills, foster cultural exchange, and establish global connections.

Our summer and year-round international internships offer you: