View Other Details
- Further develop positive relationships with the locals of Itacare, with a special focus on the fishermen of Passagem (current support)
- Support the progression and success of the Union that the fishermen are developing
- Remain flexible, independent,patient and persistent as you may encounter different obstacles.
- Be sociable and curious about others, with a willingness to connect with individuals that may be very different from you
- Speak fluent portuguese
- The role of the Community Organizers is to direct and engage community members with top concerns that they may wish to address first. Then there is the possibility to conduct research.
ETIV do Brazil is looking for Interns or Researchers that are interested in engaging in community organizing in the beautiful surf town of Itacare, Bahia, Brazil. It is the role of our Community Organizers to help us build positive relationships within the community, mainly by meeting with local individuals, leaders, organizations and running projects to better understand the stories, hopes and concerns for those living in and around Itacaré. It is important for our community organizers to document and highlight the stories of the community members, while simultaneously gaining a deeper understanding about shared hopes and concerns within the community. Once this foundation is built, the community organizers will begin to host monthly meetings, bringing individuals and community leaders together who share similar concerns and are willing to work together to create the positive changes they wish to see in their communities.
Our current focus is on supporting the fishermen.
- Enjoy the natural paradise of Itacare, along with all its beaches, waterfalls, and rich biodiversity
- Learn about NGO operations, as well as development in Brazil and combine research and community organizing
- Establish connections with the local community and participate in day to day life in Itacare, specifically in the neighborhood of Passagem
- Support and empower locals in becoming community leaders, particularly as they build influence through their union
- Support the direction of the union in their vision of building of a centre on the river beach of Passagem neighborhood where they can store tools, build boats and host regular meetings, trainings and events.