Writing and Communications Internships in Cape Town

sporting chance
sporting chance
Greenpop planting days
Greenpop planting days

We’re excited to offer a wide range of communications internships and content writing internships with NGOs in Cape Town, South Africa. If you're interested in the fields of communications, journalism, or marketing, and are looking to get some practical work experience, this might be the perfect opportunity for you!

We offer writing and communication internships with grassroots organisations doing amazing work in a variety of areas; urban greening a eco-education, health education, social development, and nonprofit film and photography. Our internships are between 8 and 26 weeks, and we can tailor-make programs to suit yours specific skill set and desired learning outcomes. We'll offer guidance and assistance throughout your stay!

“Somehow the world has gotten bigger and smaller at the same time over the last six months. Things seem more complex, but the ability to have an impact now truly feels within my reach." - Ivy, United States, Creative Content and Copywriting Internship

• Get a valuable experience in areas such as content writing, creative writing, SEO, social media management, web management, and PR.
  • Be part of an NGO or social enterprises, so you’ll also be making a difference on a grassroots level.
  • Have the opportunity to work and live in the stunning and dynamic city of Cape Town.
  • Be a large part of a small (and passionate!) team, which offers a great variety of opportunities.
  • Enjoy personal match-making, so that you're ensured to be placed at the right organisation.

NEW! Social Work and Psychology Internship in Cape Town

Join this nonprofit to gain on the ground experience in social work and provide psychological support to children with troubled backgrounds. You’ll work with a community center in a township that hosts children each day to ensure they have a safe and stimulating space to go. Assist with the day to day running of the center and with offering counseling sessions to the children.

Alice

The most amazing ten weeks!

I had an incredible few weeks in Cape Town interning with Greenpop and Penda. I gained professional working experience in writing and communications, I developed a clearer vision of what I want to pursue as a career, I contributed to causes I feel passionate about, I met the most amazing like-minded people and I fell IN LOVE with Cape Town.

I'm really happy that I found Roots. They helped me choose an internship that was right for me (or two in my case!), guided me through the application process and were a great support in-country.

The slightly lower 'safety' rating is no reflection on Roots, Greenpop or Penda as organisations - I felt very safe and supported by them. CT is just not what I would call a 'safe' city and it's important to be aware of this. It definitely shouldn't stop you from going - the pros far outweigh the cons and taking precautions such as catching Uber's after dark meant that I never encountered any issues.

Explore. Cape Town is the most INCREDIBLE city and the surrounding national parks are beautiful. Take every opportunity you're offered and savour every moment.
Response from Roots Interns

Thank you so much for your kind review. You are very missed by both Penda and Greenpop, but we are excited to see what your future holds! Come back to Cape Town for a visit any time :)

Julia

A valuable and absolutely amazing internship experience which I will never forget!

Interning with Roots has been absolutely valuable not only for my future career plans but also for my personal perspective and growth. I got the chance to meet incredibly amazing people, got a lot of interesting insights how NGO’s are working and learned so much in the field of Marketing and Communications. I developed my writing skills in an immense way by creating blog posts, newsletters, mailers and running the social media. Besides that, I learned a lot about SEO and got the chance to dive into my own customer journey and personas project which helped me so much to understand the whole marketing strategy of the organization. I loved the inspiring vibe in the office and being surrounded by people that included me in their group right from the beginning. This has been an amazing internship experience which I will never forget!

Daire

Writing and Communications Internship with Greenpop

My experience interning with Greenpop through Roots Interns was nothing short of an amazing adventure. Not only was I given the oppertunity to enhance my creative writing skills in a positive and supporting environment, I truly felt like I was part of an incredibly important movement that brings about positive change to undergreened areas of the Western Cape, one tree at a time. Living in such a diverse city with a wonderful group of people from all corners of the world is an experience you can't let pass you by! Join the #Treevolution!

Juliana

An Abundant Experience with Penda Photo Tours

I thoroughly enjoyed my writing and communications internship. There were endless opportunities to write and I learned a lot about SEO writing. This internship provided a lot of creative freedom. That said, there was also guidance available when I needed it. My supervisor provided plenty of one-on-one attention and was very conscious of creating an internship that suited me and my goals. There were opportunities to get involved in projects in the community, as well.
The office culture is friendly, energetic and innovative. And there is no better place to enjoy an internship abroad than in Cape Town, it is a beautiful city, full of life.

Reini

Learning while having fun

I've studied literature and I have my own blog, but I've never had the experience to write on a professional level for an organisation. I could definitely recommend the writing and communication internship because it's the perfect way to gain experience in writing skills, SEO, and it's ideal to learn how to express the values of the organisation you work for but still to maintain your own personal style. I would also recommend to get an internship in an organisation you really believe in. The more you canq support their values and what they stand for, the more you'll enjoy your internship, since you're not only learning but you're also part of something bigger you really believe in and want to add value to.

Fernanda

Content and Storytelling Intern Review

I never imagined myself interning at a non-profit to begin with so this internship has really opened up my eyes to how to raise money strategically. This can be through writing, which is my passion so I have had a lot of hands-on experience on content marketing and how specific keywords can help raise money. It impacted me to now think more of non-profits, even to then think about pursuing a masters in visual anthropology in the future. I think future participants should know that the work done here can be impactful depending on what you make it. Sometimes the work may seem tedious and repetitive but it needs to be done in order to get the content out there and producing money for the non-profit to continue. It is a really great environment to work in since everyone is passionate about the organization's mission and really willing to put in the effort to raise funds. Everyone is excited and willing to work together for the good of the organization. There is always projects to work on for example writing a blog or experimenting with social media management.

I understand office work is needed, but more hands on projects like going out to visit the communities we directly have an impact on would be great or hands on fundraising events to really see the capability that our fundraising has.