Costa Rica Rainforest Internship

Students in the rain forest
Students in the rain forest
Accommodation Work with Nature
Accommodation Work with Nature

Costa Rica is one of the most bio-diverse regions in the world, with an abundance of flora and fauna that is becoming a rarity in the world. This project work to map the lowland rain forest area, which is essential to its protection. If you would like to do an internship in the rain forest of Costa Rica, this is your chance!

The goal of this project is study the environment, thus improving your research skills, and sharing your results with the wider scientific community. This way, we can reinforce each others knowledge and promote environmental conservation and sustainability.

If you wish to join our long term research (inventory) on the biodiversity of our private reserve, we would welcome you to our project. Research options are open to all different levels of expertise and experience. In addition to conducting long term research, you can also visit our project to conduct your own research topic. We will supervise and guide you towards a successful research methodology.

• Biodiversity
  • Wildlife
  • Reforestation
  • Sustainability
  • Ecology

Hannah

Being an Environmental Research Intern for two months was truly a life-changing and eye-opening experience. I found this internship because I was looking to do something good for the planet while traveling and advancing my career in conservation biology. This experience was the perfect combination of all three. I chose work with nature because Marteen (the primary biologist and co-founder of the foundation) let me design my own research project. Because I already had some experience with field biology and doing biological research I wanted to see if I could challenge myself to design and execute my own project. I ended up establishing a system for monitoring biodiversity levels in different types of rainforest and reforested areas. This was truly a valuable collaborative effort between myself, Marteen and Hanneke and ended up being a very successful project.
In addition to working on my research project, the other students and I helped out around the farm, picking fruits, planting and weeding as well as helped out in the village with community projects such as picking up trash, painting the village health center and teaching English to local students. The work I did with Work With Nature was rewarding in more ways than one.
In addition to Hanneke and Marteen being amazing hosts, the other students that were living on the farm became really close friends. We all shared a common love and interest in biology and conservation and being able to explore Costa Rica together lead us to all become very close. In addition Tapa, our awesome field guide and good friend, was our connection to the local community and culture. A local from the village, cooked us amazing traditional Costa Rican dishes throughout the week and we were always excited to see her walking down the path towards our kitchen. On the weekends, my friends and I would often take a bus to one of the nearby towns to explore Costa Rica a little more. I ended up traveling around Costa Rica and Panama for a month after my stay and being so immersed in the culture by living on the farm for two months was a great introduction to the country. This was my first time traveling alone internationally so I was a little nervous, but that feeling quickly went away and I always felt very safe on the farm and everywhere I traveled within Costa Rica.
If these weren’t reasons enough already to volunteer for this internship, the mission might be. WWN uses the money from volunteers and donations to buy up hectares of land in order to preserve and reforest areas that have been deforested or are in danger of being deforested. You may even get to plant some trees that will contribute to much needed rainforest in the future!
After my experience in Costa Rica, I had a better sense of the career I wanted to pursue and the kind of life I wanted to live when I got back home. There is no better way to get to know the amazing rainforests and culture of Costa Rica than being so immersed and being surrounded by amazing people from all over the world.
Thank you!

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
One day one of the locals brought us a boa constrictor that he caught so that we could take it up to the reserve where it would be safer and release it. We had plans to go to the reserve the next day and release the boa but for the night we got to "babysit" it and make sure it didn't escape from its old rice sack and slither back into the village. It was amazing seeing such a beautiful animal up close and being able to save its life!

Location:
Limón International Airport
( LIO )
Daniel Oduber Quirós International Airport
( LIR )

A pioneer of ecotourism, Costa Rica draws many tourists to its extensive series of national parks and other protected areas. Costa Rica began reversing deforestation in the 1990s, and they are moving towards using only renewable energy. Head to the cloud forest, relax on the beautiful beaches or visit a coffee farm.

About Work with Nature CR

The biodiversity and the density of different species in Costa Rica are among the highest in the world. The lowland rainforest, which is located in our research area, even has an above average contribution to that. Mapping the natural resources is...