This program is no longer offered. View more programs from United World College Costa Rica.
Leaders for Change: How to be a Social Entrepreneur in your teens

Leaders for Change: How to be a Social Entrepreneur in your teens

UWC Costa Rica's "Leaders for Change" is for young aspiring social entrepreneurs 16 to 19 years old. Our program is a 2-week short course in Costa Rica and is open to students from around the world. This dynamic course will expose participants to a number of cases of social entrepreneurs who have converted their desire of building a better world into a reality. The course will inspire participants with an entrepreneurial spirit, help them gain an understanding of the challenges of the start-up process, and think about the complexities of growing and managing it. They will emerge with a high-level business plan for starting a social enterprise. The course features experiential learning, talks from real entrepreneurs, site visits across Costa Rica and service learning.
We will travel to several sites in Costa Rica thereby allowing participants to truly get to know the country.
When: July 16 - July 30, 2016

North America » Costa Rica
Letters of Recommendation

Andrina
Puriscal, Costa Rica

Leaders for change

It's not only amazing because of what you learn but because of the friendships that you gain through meeting people that want to do something to change the world. I have amazing friends in China, which is not something every 17 year old from Costa Rica can say, I learned a lot from them and I'm still learning because we stay in touch. Even with the ones that I was not so close with I can still see what they're doing trough Facebook which inspires me so much. Leaders for change is a very treasured adventure of mine! If I could go back I would definitely do it. It put me to test and changed me for the better. I recommend it for sure, I just don't think anyone could regret taking part of this.

Klever
Santa Cruz de la Sierra - Bolivia
College of the Atlantic

A life changing, world changing experience!

I have a lot of friends who are involved in amazing social and environmental programs and that are currently changing the world for the better. Be it building schools in Nepal for children that lack access to education, or running an organization to power communities in rural areas of Africa with solar panels, or building emergency houses for low-income families in Costa Rica, or simply raising awareness about the impacts of climate change in their own schools back in the United States. Before being part of this incredible program last summer, I had no idea there was even a word for it - social entrepreneurship.

I felt like two weeks was too short of a time. By the time the usual awkwardness of meeting new people the first days is gone, the program is almost over. If the program cannot be extended for logistical reasons, I would encourage participants (before they arrange their flight tickets back) to contemplate the possibility of staying some extra days after the program finishes to travel in Costa Rica with the other participants and facilitators.

Rose
Shanghai, China

Life changing experience in the happiest country in the world

If you want to make good changes to the world and you think that non-profit organizations are not always the best choices because they are not sustainable, then social enterprises are something that you should check out! UWC Costa Rica provides this fantastic opportunity for you to learn about social enterprises and meet friends that have the same interest. And Costa Rica itself is such a magical place that makes you happy and free. It is definitely a perfect choice for your summer!

Combine the field trip with the courses more so that we can learn from fun.

Andre
Chicago

Life-Changing Experience

If you are REMOTELY interested in serving as an agent for social change and learning how to positively impacting your community, you NEED to apply to this program. The material/coursework/tools you acquire are super important, but even more beneficial are the connections you'll make with the other participants. I met some of the most incredible and inspiring people throughout this course, and I learned so much from them in such a short period of time that I decided to write about my experiences in my college essays. Hands-down this was an awesome program, and I'd recommend it to anyone who fits the criteria mentioned above!

Lengthen it so that you have more time to engage with and learn from the other participants.

United World College Costa Rica is a non-profit foundation and we offer programs focused on experiential learning. Our educational program is comprised of academics, co-curricular, and residence life. UWC Costa Rica's mission is to educate a diverse group student leaders to foster positive change in