• Costa Rica

Airfare
Feb 02, 2022
Jul 11, 2022
1 traveler is looking at this program

Join Toucan Abroad and other students from around the US in this highly enriching program. We aim to expand your perspective and grow into future leaders in the field of physical therapy through exposure to the work of licensed PT specialists. You’ll shadow them while they provide expert patient care. Evolve by developing a more holistic view of yourself, your future profession, and the world through immersion into a different society.
For two weeks, you’ll engage in 40 to 60 clinical observation hours in different PT specialties. You’ll also have time to bask in the breathtaking natural beauty of Costa Rica and experience its rich culture.

Toucan Abroad gives you the opportunity to stand out among other PT school applicants through a unique, unparalleled experience abroad through this program.

Program Highlights

• Accumulate 40 or 60 hours of clinical observation in different PT specialties, allowing you to gain real practice alongside other undergraduates and licensed therapists.
  • Improve and practice Spanish in the professional health setting.
  • Create meaningful friendships with other students who share your dream of attending a Physical Therapy School.
  • Embark on planned excursions to a stunning rainforest, to beaches, and volcanoes as well as other beautiful places!
  • Immerse yourself in Costa Rican culture and learn about the 'pura vida'.

Beach Day!
Thomas

Take the Jump!

This trip lingered in my thoughts for years prior to me signing up and joining. As I began my gap year between undergraduate and graduate school, I saw the perfect opportunity to join Toucan Abroad and open my mind. With all the nerves that come with traveling alone to a foreign country, obviously there was a little bit of hesitation when signing up. My piece of advice would be to take the jump! I met some of the greatest people on this trip and experienced life in ways I will never be able to vocalize. There is a fantastic balance between learning hands on techniques in the clinics and immersing yourself in foreign culture like never before. I am forever grateful for the people I was lucky enough to meet on this trip, and will never forget my first experiences with manual techniques while abroad! Not only did I grow as a physical therapy student while on this adventure, I grew so much as a person. I could not recommend this trip enough. Take the jump!

Pros
  • Great Leadership
  • Autonomy
  • Do not need to be proficient in another language to enjoy
Sela

Toucan Abroad!

I loved this program so much. I never expected for it to impact my life the way it has and I am forced grateful. Phil is an amazing director, person and friend. He created a very special and unique program that I would recommend to any Pre-PT student.

I feel like I learned so much about physical therapy, but also so much about myself. The clinical experience was the perfect way to confirm that this is my future career! I made amazing friendships and I would go again in a heartbeat. Part of my heart is in Costa Rica forever.

Pros
  • Traveling in another country
  • Meeting new people
  • Experiencing physical therapy
Cons
  • Program should have been longer!
Natalie

10/10 Toucan Experience

Toucan Abroad was truly a life changing experience! I had such an amazing 3 weeks. I gained insight about aspects of physical therapy, the culture of Costa Rica, and specifics of the career I want to pursue. Everything about it was perfect! I recommend it to anyone interested in physical therapy! I’ll never forget all of the friends I made along the way. It was great being in an environment where others had similar interests. The physical therapists and directors were very understanding and ensured that we had an amazing experience. Pura Vida!

Pros
  • Supportive Environment
  • Adapting to a Novel Culture
  • Learning New Things Daily
Cons
  • Financial Aid or Scholarships Weren’t Available
Brooke

Unforgettable 3 Weeks

I went into this experience not knowing what to expect. I ended up having some of the best 3 weeks I've ever had and learned so much I can take with me through my career. Between ziplining, party boats, and waterfalls on the weekends and weekdays full of PT shadowing, this trip was filled with educational and adventurous opportunities and had a great balance. Heading into the trip not knowing anyone was intimidating but it got me out of my comfort zone and allowed me to prove to myself what I am capable of. I am so glad I had the opportunity to join Toucan Abroad; it will impact me for many years.

Pros
  • Gain PT experience
  • Adventure through Costa Rica
  • Make lifelong friends
Cons
  • Cost
Gladys

One of the Best Experiences I have ever had

This was one of the best experiences I have had. At first, I was very hesitant to join the program due to financial concerns and a bit nervous about traveling outside the country. But it was one of the best investments. I heard about this program from a friend and wanted to give it a try myself as you get to be a lot more hands-on in Costa Rica than in the states. The therapists are very patient and treat you like family. I learned much more in three weeks than I had in three months as a PT technician. It was fascinating being with other students from across the US who are also interested in being physical therapists and they soon became family. Phil and Fernando are one of the best human beings in this world and will help you with anything they need! I highly recommend this program, and if you feel hesitant like I, just do it! Once is a lifetime experience!

Sophie

Absolutely Unmatched Experience

This program takes students from all over the US and brings them together. I have made 20 new friends from far and wide across the US that I have no doubt I will keep in touch with. Being immersed in a different culture and language while also learning how your profession works in a different part of the world is something you can’t find anywhere else. Mini weekly excursions and long weekend getaways are the best way to get to know your new friends along with learning a new language by immersing yourself in the clinics with physical therapists! You will come out of this program with a ton of new friends, new experiences, and 60+ shadowing hours to put towards your DPT school applications!! The work hard play hard mentality is what will get you through this program and it will change your life completely! We went from a group of 21 complete strangers to a family in a matter of 3 weeks and I wouldn’t trade them for the world.

Pros
  • Travel
  • Meeting new people
  • Learning new things
Cons
  • Language barrier can be difficult and a bit frustrating but is the best way to learn a different language
  • No financial aid like university study abroad programs
Leah

Toucan Abroad - Physical Therapy Shadowing

My Toucan Abroad experience in Costa Rica was the most amazing trip I have ever been on. The entire group of students on the trip got along amazing, and we were all so close by the end of the 3 weeks. My experience in the clinics was exceptional. Not all the therapists I worked with spoke English, but even if they did not, they used translator apps or other ways to communicate. Each therapist I worked with was a genuinely kind human and taught me so much! I was able to get much more hands on experience during these 3 weeks than I ever have in the states. The clinics are all very easy to find and travel to! Along with the shadowing, we had lots of free time to plan mini excisions and get away for long weekends. Some things I did during the week was visit hot springs, go zip lining, hiking, exploring a waterfall, playing board games in the hotel, and so much more. During the weekends we traveled to the coasts and were able to hit the beach, go on a catamaran, hike, hang out with the group at air bnb/hotel, go out for food and enjoy some drinks, plus so much more! The directors of Toucan Abroad, Phil and Fernando, are two of the most amazing people I have ever met. They helped us plan all of our mini excursions, as well as our large weekend trips. They were both willing to help out in any way possible with no questions asked. They truly created the best experience possible for each and every one of the students of the trip! I recommend this trip to anyone who wants an Abroad experience!

Pros
  • Experiencing a new culture.
  • Meeting tons of new people.
  • Hands of experience inside of physical therapy clinics.
Cons
  • The only con I can think of is that it becomes a quite expensive trip. In my opinion it was completely worth every dollar that I spent, but I did spend a lot.
Kennedy

Toucan Abroad

Studying abroad with ToucanAbroad was one of the most impactful things for my career, networking, and relationships. Experiencing different PT techniques than generally accustomed to helps broaden the perspective of the limitless possibilities of this career. Aside from using skills and knowledge, this study program helps create new and lasting friendships as well as expanding horizons for travel. Overall, ToucanAbroad has helped push me out of my comfort zone to try new things & meet new people.

Pros
  • Learning different methods of physical therapy
  • Creating life-long relationships
  • Experiencing new culture