Global Pre-Meds | University Doctor Shadowing Program

The Global Pre-Meds University Program is a two-week residential experience for pre-medical and pre-health students aged 18 or over. It provides first-hand experience of the hospital front line including observation of operating room procedures, emergency departments and maternity/delivery units closely supervised by medical doctors with no physical contact between students and patients.

The clinical shadowing and very personal insight into global health that students gain on this program helps them to stand out on medical, PA or nursing school applications and helps develop a strong foundation for their future careers.

The program has been updated for 2020 to operate safely in a COVID-19 resilient way at the organization's flagship location in Dominican Republic.

• 40 hours doctor shadowing experience
  • COVID-19 resilient program
  • Organization's own accommodation & food included
  • Clinical Experience Certificate & recommendation letter

Morgan

GLOBAL PRE MEDS OVER EVERYTHING

Being within the Global Pre-Meds placement was one of the best experiences I’ve ever had in my life!! Having the opportunity to see how health care works in another country, while getting to know a bunch of different amazing people around the world is life changing. I did the 2 week placement in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic and within that time, I grew so close to the other students I was with. It honestly felt like a little family by the end of our stay. Anyone looking to gain some medical experience while enjoying the beauties of other countries Global Pre-Meds is your answer!! Amazing staff, amazing peers and overall an amazing time.

Keep your mind open to anything and just be free. Take note of what the surgeons and doctors teach you because especially going into medicine it’s always good to have a few extra tips from people in the field already.
Modesta

The best choice for medical field students

I strongly recommend Global Pre-Meds for all who are interested in foreign country's health system, who has a willing to improve their knowledge and adapt it later in their studies or job. The things you learn and see at hospital as well as the friends/doctors/organisers you meet there - all of these stay for life. There is nothing to worry about before - Global Pre-Meds team is so friendly, helpful and communicable. So, if you just have a chance to go on this internship - just make it happen. Modesta Ralyte

Norma Lizeth

My experience with Global Pre-Meds

My name is Lizeth Magana I am a nursing student and I completed the induction program on August 2019 in the Dominican Republic. Being a part of Global Pre-Meds has been one of the greatest adventures, I enjoyed every second of my experience. I loved making new friends from all of over the world and being able to share the amazing experience with them and make unforgettable memories. I completed my shadowing hours in the emergency room of the Hospital Dr. Dario Contreras, the biggest trauma hospital in the Dominican Republic, where I was mentored by Dr. Yannety De Aza. I learned so much from my mentor and was able to witness critical situations that I would have never seen anywhere else. I would definitely recommend Global Pre-Meds to anyone that is interested in the healthcare field.

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
The most nerve recking moment was arriving to a country where I didn't know anyone and I honestly didn't know what to expect. I was able to overcome it when I was greeted at the airport by AK, one of the Global Pre-Med employees, who was so friendly and welcoming.
Carly

One in a life time educational experience

Global Pre-Meds is an amazing opportunity that anyone considering going into the healthcare field should experience. The program did an amazing job pairing students with mentors in specific fields. I was a paramedic student and was paired with a doctor in the emergency department. Between the program and my mentor, I fell in love with emergency medicine. One day I hope to be as amazing as my mentor and become a doctor in the ED. Global Pre-Meds provided the students with opportunities outside of the educational aspect to explore and experience what the Dominican Republic had to offer. The staff onsite with the students were so friendly and willing to join us in all our adventures. They helped plan and arrange our adventures, transportation, and gave us advice on other important traveling factors. To this day, I am still in touch with many of the students from my cohort. If I had the opportunity to experience this program again, I 100% would.

I would not improve or change anything about this program.
Isabella

The Best Experience of My Life

I have been interested in the medical field for most of my life so when I found Global Pre Meds I was ecstatic! When I first left from California I was so nervous that I wouldn’t make any friends or that it may not be as good as I was expecting... I was SO wrong. When I first arrived EVERYONE was so friendly and welcoming it was lovely. I stayed for two weeks and everyday was so magical. I was able to go into the operating rooms and watch one or more surgeries everyday which I absolutely loved. All the mentors were so informative and helped me learn so much. I was able to watch and do things like casting a friends arm, that I would have never been able to do in the US and I will forever remember that! The way healthcare works in the Dominican Republic changed the way I think about medicine and underdeveloped countries which will always stick with me. I made life long friends and had the best experience of my life. The surgeries I was able to see we’re AMAZING! I wish I could’ve gone longer. Every person on the Global Pre Meds staff in the Dominican Republic and in the UK were so friendly and helpful! My experience wouldn’t be the same without them. While The medical procedures I saw were life changing, the activities we did after leaving the hospital were just as life changing. We had beach time, ATV riding, island cruises and so much more. I had the best experience of my life with some of the most amazing people i’ve ever met. I continue to talk about and use my experiences back home all the time. Thank you so much Global Pre Meds for the best experience of my life!!! I can’t wait to book another trip!!

Jewel

Global Premeds 2019 - Santo Domingo

I had an amazing time with Global Premeds! I met so many people from different parts of the world and was able to make life long friends. The hospital experience was just as I thought it would be. I got the chance to watch many surgeries and familiarized myself with the hospital and some of the other medical staff. I was assigned with Dr. Vasquez and Dr. Carreras (Neurosurgery Residents) and they made the experience very memorable. They made sure we were aware of the different surgeries and cases that we saw during the day and allowed us to take part in their rounds and patient checkups. I was also taught about the medical system of the hospital and realized how different the Dominican Republic's system is from the one I have at home in Canada. I would highly recommend this program to anyone who is interested in pursuing a medical career or even interested in Global or Public Health. This is a great opportunity to see a different perspective of medicine.

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
I went ATV riding in a small village and stopped at different areas like a sugar cane field, chocolate farm, and went swimming in a beautiful river! This experience was a major highlight of this trip.