Hospitality Internships in the Caribbean

Hospitality Internships in the Caribbean

Get international work experience in Latin America’s most dynamic and exotic countries. You can choose to intern in exotic Dominican Republic or beautiful Cancun in Mexico. You can intern from 3 to 6 months and start any time of the year. Work for a 5-star hotel and receive free accommodation, meals, and local transportation, you just need to choose the position of your preference.
Proficient level of Spanish is not 100% necesary, however if you have at least basic Spanish level, it will be easier for you to immerse in the culture and get along with the locals. If you have an advanced level of spanish, you can apply for back office positions such as HR, Business Development, Marketing and Sales.

• Secure a professional internship at an international company or 5-star hotel.
  • Get to have the richest cultural experience ever!
  • Hospitality internships receive free accommodation, meals and local transportation.
  • Local assistance for anything you need before and during your internship.
  • Flexible starting dates and internship length.
North America » Mexico » Playa del Carmen
Language Requirement
Visa Requirement
Weekly Hours
WHAT'S INCLUDED:

- Guaranteed hospitality or business position.
- Housing
- Duty meals.
- Visa Assistance
- Airport pick up.
- Local transportation (from accommodation to hotel).

NOT INCLUDED:

- Flight ticket to and from Mexico/Dominican Republic.
- Daily living expenses.
- Insurance.
- Others not specified.

Some of the internships with World Wide Internship are paid and others are not. It all depends on the company and location. Each internship will have a description detailing the compensation provided.

Miia
Aland, Finland

Back-Office Internship in Riviera Maya

I completed a four-month internship with WWI. They found me a placement in Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun and I was very happy with my position. I worked as an assistant to the Quality Control Manager with the work generally consisting of computer based tasks. The manager I worked with was great and made me feel very welcome to the office team. I learned a lot of back office operations in the hotel, something which was a new thing for me. I worked six days a week having Sundays off.

Here are some tips that I would like to leave for future candidates who are considering an internship in Secrets Capri:

Accomodation is provided though be prepared that rooms are plain and old and there is no wifi or other source of Internet available. You are also most likely to share a room with 1-2 other people (which isn´t neccessarily a bad thing!).

Learn Spanish before hand. The work you are most likely to do is in English but please be aware that only a few collegues speak English and most of the hotel staff don´t speak any English. You´ll get more out from your time in Mexico if you learn as much Spanish as possible before arriving so you can mingle with everyone. Everyone in Secrets Capri are extremely friendly so you have no trouble finding opportunities to practice your Spanish! I did only a basic beginners course of Spanish before I arrived and I found it wasn´t enough.

I had a great time in Secrets Capri and Playa del Carmen is definitely a great place to stay. There is so much to do and see that you won´t have trouble finding something to do on your days off!

Emphasise and/or encourage interns to learn Spanish before arriving would be helpfull. More active communication from the agency before arriving.

Delia
Chengdu
University of Derby

Great proffessional experience in the paradise of Riviera Maya

I spent 3 months working in the Quality Assurance Department in a 5 star resort, which highly interested me and therefore working towards improving the services became more than just a job.
My main duties were related to a project as part of the Guest Satisfaction program, with the level of responsibility assigned constantly increasing,which added value to my overall experience.
Overall, my internship was demanding and exciting, not only because I had the opportunity to work in a completely different environment and adapt to a new culture, but also because I was eager to learn, and challenged myself by accomplishing various tasks.

Getting more support upon arrival

Lam
Phoenix, Arizona
Thunderbird School of Global Management

Great internship for a career switcher

In this age of job and internship search, having a referral is more valuable than not. That said, the agency listened to my request well and found me an internship with a young hotel company. My request was quite complex, but basically I wanted to be challenged in every single aspect because I am an MBA student with high aspirations, but without relevant experience in the tourism industry. I did not want a simple job such as being a server or working manual job in a hotel, because in the future I want to run my own hostel.

They found me a position in the sales and marketing department of a hotel, which seems to be a perfect position because it doesn't require Spanish fluency, but still allows me to improve my Spanish day after day. I am writing this review about one month into my internship. My Spanish has improved significantly, and I have learned so much more about the hotel and tourism industry.

The only drawback I have from the agency is the responsiveness of the staff. I only had contact with one person from the beginning to the end. I figured the agency was small, but the time it took for the agent to respond to my emails and messages took longer than expected, even though she knew that I was under time pressure (I contacted the agency about 1 month ahead of the desired internship start date). Anyhow, I am happy with the room and board placement they put me in, which is supposedly included in the program and application fees.

Being such a small agency, I would expect their responses to be much faster, especially for time-sensitive students. Also, we had some miscommunication, I am not sure whether due to language difference or misunderstanding. The misunderstanding was not significant, but put some extra burden on me at the very last minute. I was not very happy with that incident. I would say that allowing a second staff member to help in the communication and placement process would relieve the pressure off and allow faster response time.

Melissa
Toronto, Ontario

An Unexpected Journey

"When one door closes, another one opens." It's amazing how one unfortunate situation can lead me to an unexpected journey! After searching online for opportunities, I found World Wide Internship.At first I was hesitant, thinking if this was actually legit but after my Skype interview I felt more comfortable and knew that this was something that I would love to pursue.

The whole process was quick and went by smoothly, well minus the visa part *laughs* (make sure you give yourself enough time to get one) either than that, Linda (Internship coordinator) guided me throughout the whole process and answered any of my questions.

Within a few months, I was off to beautiful Dominican Republic for 6 months! I was in the departments Guest Services and Public Relations at a 5 star resort in Punta Cana. I loved every moment of it, from meeting a lot of interesting guests,my hilarious co-workers and down to earth supervisors.

Although the language barrier was a bit tricky, everyone was very friendly and helpful so that really helped me out. Also, the music, food, beaches, nightlife and everything else was amazing, there's honestly nothing bad to say about my whole experience.

I will never forget this experience and hope to return someday soon. I am forever grateful to World Wide Internship and the people of Dominican Republic for giving me a fresh new start. Gracias por todo y hasta la proxima mis amigos!

Living Conditions

Alex
Cancun, Mexico
North Carolina State University

Business Internship Cancun, Mexico

This has been a great experience. I love working with the international sales team at Karisma Hotels and Resorts. I get the luxury market while at work and the local culture while at home. The only complaint I have relates to the quality of housing provided. My house often loses power, it has been without hot water for numerous days over the past month, and it floods when there is rain (and there has been a lot of rain). Other than the housing accommodations, everything has been amazing!

Maybe lower the application fee? I realize that WWI is a business and needs to remain profitable, but right now you only appeal to a select market because the program is simply "unaffordable" for most (it costs way more money than most people are willing to pay). I believe that you would be able to reach a whole new market and garner a much larger interest from potential clients if you reduce the price.

Roxanne
The Hague (The Netherlands)

Internship in Cancun

I did my internship at GR Solaris Cancun. I was part of the animation/sports team for about 6 months and it was a great experience. I met many people from across the world and learned a lot.The highlight of my internship period was performing in one of the hotel's shows.

I ended up doing my internship in another department than I initially planned to. It would have been better for my study if I did my internship at the marketing/sales department, but as soon as I arrived in Cancun the hotel offered me an internship in the animation/sports department.

I would advise others who need to do an internship as part of their studies to not feel tempted and to do what you have to do.

Other than that, I do not really have anything negative to say about this program.

Jenna
Finland

Excellent

At first i had my doubts about this program but it all turned out to be for nothing. I loved to be in the position that i was assigned to and i never felt unsafe! Sometimes i tought that the communication between me and the office was a bit slow and during the time that i was in mexico i didn't hear anything from the office but that's alright. Only big minus is that i honestly don't get why i had to pay so much for the program??? But anyways i had very nice time and now i have an amazing experience to show for the future employees.

Better communication between the office and the applicant and please explane why do we have to pay so much!!

Annemie
Brussels, Belgium

The experience of a lifetime

I already encountered the first problem arriving at the hotel, being later than expected due to the taxi service, where I had trouble with the security since they were not expecting me anymore. Furthermore, no one at the human resource department spoke good English so it was very difficult to understand the documents I had to fill out and the explanations given. Nevertheless, from that moment onwards my experience only got better and better. At the reception, where I did my actual internship, they did everything to help me out. Although it was very difficult at the start since everything was explained in Spanish and it took me some time to figure everything out, the front desk manager did his best to help me out, he listened to the concerns I had and he really tried to improve me as an employee but also as a person. The coworkers at the hotel were the friendliest and nicest people I have ever met, with their eternal smile. One of the biggest concerns I had before leaving for Mexico as a European girl on her own, was of course the safety. I must admit that I never , at no point, felt in danger. I honestly have felt less comfortable on the streets in Brussels at home, than in Playa del Carmen. It was a dream of a little city and my heart broke when I had to leave. Even up to today, almost 4 months later, no day passes by without thinking about this amazing experience and regretting having left Playa del Carmen. Thank you for helping me live this amazing experience!

Be aware that the not a lot of people actually speak English and it is really really recommended to know some Spanish. When I just arrived I had to pass by human resource department, no one understood me or could explain me some things in English. Nevertheless, at the reception (the department where I worked ) it was less of a problem since they did know English and did the effort to explain things if I did not get something.

Jade
Cambridge
University of Cambridge

THE best summer!

The summer of 2012 that I spent in Mexico's Riviera Maya was one of the best experiences of my life. A little apprehensive before I left the UK, my worries of moving to the other side of the world disappeared as soon as I arrived as I was picked up from Cancún airport by my new boss and the Human Resources assistant that I would be taking over from.
Firstly the job as a human resources assistant was perfect for me to improve my Spanish. My duties involved office tasks, updating employee records, running hotel errands, producing presentations, and even translating documents and presentations into English. It was great work experience, perfect as part of my university year abroad. (I study Spanish)
I enjoyed the job, and was very well looked after by me colleagues, however it is the social scene and the life in Cancún/Playa del Carmen that I will always remember. I made friends from all over the world, from France, Serbia, Holland, Argentina, and of course Mexico. We worked 5 and a half days a week, and packed the spare time with new experiences like visiting Mayan ruins or the many 'cenotes' or just going to the beach to relax. The night life in the two cities is amazing too, and in a group I never once felt unsafe.
Overall, I would recommend the programme, it's a great way to experience another culture while gaining work experience and having a fun time.

More communication and information on where I would be living prior to departure.

Daniël
Quintana Roo, México

Personal growth in paradise

My experience has been a great beginning for completely new career opportunities. I´ve discovered and gained new interests, skills, and personal growth in a high quality environment of premium services and exclusive luxury in a Caribbean paradise. Up to day I still feel part of the family and experienced that compared to many many others my standards are very high. It is a great eye-catcher on my CV and helps me every day in other working environments. Furthermore, it´s also a process of personal development in another culture, what definitely helped me in being successful in different countries afterwards. It´s hard work and not always about fun, in a world with the highest expectations, but in the end it´s an experience that you cannot miss!!

It might be a cultural thing, but I believe that as an intern that doesn´t earn (a lot of) money, one should not expect you to work more than 5 days a week, 8 hours a day, and give a bit more freedom, to explore a new culture, a new part of the world and to enjoy when not working. In the end you paid a lot of money for the journey and the program, so you also deserve to lay back and discover other new joyful experiences.

Worldwide Internship is a full-service internship placement agency founded in 2010. Our mission: Create amazing life-changing internship experiences abroad for university students. Our motto: Inspire students to go abroad out of their comfort zone to learn unique skills that help them boost their career globally