Medical and Dental Internships in Kathmandu

Medical and Dental Internships in Kathmandu

Interning at a hospital in Nepal provides participants an opportunity to learn about healthcare in a developing country and about tropical diseases. Pre-med and pre-dental students with relevant completed coursework, nursing students, medical students, and dental students are welcome to apply. Students are sometimes invited to observe surgeries, assist at free medical camps, and/or visit a rural clinic in addition to their primary placement (weather and time permitting). This program fills up during the summer, so we recommend applying early for May, June and July arrival dates.

• There is no country more beloved by those who have visited than Nepal!
  • These placement are a rare opportunity to work with and learn from professional Nepali medical staff. Interns can contribute when appropriate and needed.
  • All of ELI's participants live together in our new volunteer house, conveniently located on the edge of Thamel near cafes and all modes of transportation.
  • There is so much to see and do during your free time! Ride the elephants in Chitwan, float on lake Phewa in Pokhara, bungee jumping, rafting, trekking...you name it!
  • The people of Nepal are warm and welcoming - visitors tend to return again and again.
Asia » Nepal » Kathmandu

Ethan
Kathmandu
University at Buffalo- SUNY

Nepal doesn't disappoint

My time here in Nepal has been nothing short of fantastic! It's easy to describe how great the scenery is and how wonderful the people are, but the intangibles are also what make Nepal so great. Just the way people interact with you and the day to day life makes things constantly interesting. Definitely bring a mask and a fan, its hot and dusty. This program was very humbling and allowed me to get a different perspective of dentistry.

I would like for the dental program to be a little more hands on and be able to actual have a hand in procedures but I understand that's tough to incorporate and allow.

Anthony
Nepal
University of Northern Colorado

Dental Program

I shadowed a dentist at the Samaj Dental Hospital in New Banashwor. I got to observe many different dental procedures and get to know the staff that worked there. Everyone was very welcoming and provided me with an educational experience that was interesting. The living accommodations were better than I had expected. The breakfast and dinner that was provided was great and there are many options for lunch. I would recommend to bring a towel and a roll of toilet paper to people considering joining the program. The staff gave great advice and made sure you felt comfortable and safe. After the program I feel like I am more confident in travelling abroad.

The program could let future applicants know what specifically they should bring. I forgot to bring a small backpack for my daily commute to the dental hospital and I also forgot to bring a towel for drying off after showering. Everything else was taken care of and exceeded my expectations.

Christina
CO

“Never Ending Peace and Love”

It was fascinating to see how the hospital managed their limited resources and supplies under the brunt of admitting many patients. It's definitely and experience I will never forget. I want to thank every one of the staff for their patience and assistance and the little family of the volunteers who steered me so expertly well through the maze of this amazing country. It's been a fun ride and I hope to come back very soon. Thanks ELI for such a great experience.

All is perfect.

Tiffany
Waltham, MA
Brandeis University

Use another program.

The program in Nepal is one that needs much more work. The staff cut corners. They didn't have a staff member pick me up because it was a Saturday. A random person who was "affiliated" with the program picked me and scammed me in the process. The staff weren't able to do anything about it. At the very least they could fire this person. They didn't give me a house tour or orientation because they figured the other volunteers would. The orientation they did gave us was information I learned by going online. There's no concern for your safety or well-being. They kept trying to convince me to take trips to Pokhara when I only had 2 weeks in Kathmandu. Probably so they wouldn't have to care about volunteers. Go somewhere else and I guarantee you'll have a better experience.

ELI is a registered non-profit organization, founded in 2001, that partners with organizations from around the world that make a difference in their communities. We work closely with these groups to ensure ELI volunteers get meaningful experiences at reasonable prices.

ELI's full name, Experiential Learning