Interning in Nepal offers you the opportunity to gain global and hands-on work experience in the sectors of health, education, social services and more. Because Nepal is a third world country, there is a lot of work to be done in establishing a well-developed and sustainable infrastructure, thus opening the door to a wide range of opportunities. Interning in Nepal will also enable you to learn the local culture, gain further knowledge on local and global issues, and also contribute to society.
Photo credit: Sharada Prasad.
- Education: There are many schools and private institutions offering English lessons, but they are mostly not affordable for the poor. Schools attended by poor students are in need of educators to teach English. You will converse with students to improve their speech, teach English according to the official curriculum, and create your own materials and teaching agendas. These schools usually have teachers who can assist you with teaching methods, offer advice on solving language barriers, and provide suitable curricula for the classroom.
- Medical Care: Nepal is one of the poorest countries of the world, thus, the government has not been able to provide the basic means of health facilities to its people. The few government hospitals that exist are often poorly run and slow in delivering their service. Intern practitioners assist in treating patients. Interns who are not certified in medical care can still participate as non-medical hospital interns whose tasks include shadowing the local staff and educating patients.
- Public Health: Nepal is one of the poorest countries in the world where people suffer from poor sanitation, malnutrition, and poor education. One of the main reasons leading to illnesses and a short lifespan is the lack of education on health care and practice of proper personal hygiene. The public health project is designed for interns with an interest to spread public health awareness and advocacy for illness prevention through policy, education, grant writing, administrative work and community building.
Planning Your Trip
When and Where to Look for an Internship:
Nepal is a poor country with little resources and government funding, so NGOs are always accepting interns throughout the year. The best way to search for an internship opportunity that is trustworthy, is applying through an intern abroad service provider.
Cost of Living in Nepal:
Housing is extremely inexpensive. You can rent a one-bedroom apartment for about US$100/month or less. Most foreign interns get by with US$20/week for expenses and entertainment. If you go through an agency, housing should already be included in your package.
Work Culture in Nepal:
- Etiquette: There are many different types of religions in Nepal, including Buddhism, Hinduism, Islam, and more. The Nepalese follow their religions strictly even at work. For instance, if you’re a woman and you don’t have the left side of your nose pierced, you are not allowed to enter the kitchen of a workplace ran by Bauns or Chhetris people. The Nepalese take religion quite seriously, so it’s really important that you check with the local customs beforehand.
- Language: The main language in Nepal is Nepalese, but most young people speak English as well.
Work and Labor Laws in Nepal
Nepal is still a third world country with little structure. Labor laws are not very strict (if there are any at all). You will see kids working everywhere, from the mountains to the farms to the cities. As for interns, they may receive a stipend or be offered free housing depending on the employer.
Why Intern in Nepal?
Nepal is a beautiful country to intern in. People are very heart-warming and welcoming. Even though the Nepalese do not have much to offer, they’re the most generous people you will encounter. In fact, you may be overwhelmed by their generosity.
Contributed by Cristina Lau
Internship Programs in Nepal
Global Experiences Generation Study Abroad Scholarship
Global Experiences offers scholarships for both summer and semester terms in any of the organization’s 11 global cities. They are currently accepting...
Cultural Vistas Scholarships
Cultural Vistas provides internship and work abroad programs in countries like Germany, Switzerland, Hong Kong, and more. Many of their internship or...
CET Academic Programs Scholarships
CET is a study abroad provider with locations in Brazil, China, Colombia, the Czech Republic, Italy, Jordan, and Taiwan. CET offers scholarships and...