Business Development Internship in a Nigerian Startup

The general purpose intern at Wecyclers will work directly with the CEO of the company, Bilikiss Adebiyi-Abiola. You will be able to observe the daily operations of a start-up while helping develop Wecyclers' short and long-term business strategy. Additionally, the intern will attend meetings with potential investors and partnerships throughout Nigeria and help coordinate marketing. This position offers a dynamic and self-motivated applicant the ability to grow and learn while also contributing to the expansion and daily running of Wecyclers.

Applicants both with and without experience in Africa will be considered.

Ojiugo

Great internship in dynamic environment

At this internship, I got the opportunity to do a wide variety of tasks - from making a short video in my first week, to setting up a database for potential future funding, to being part of an outreach and seeing my mentor perform exceptionally well in a super important meeting with government officials. This very important dynamism was tied into a cohesive whole by the visible passion of my colleagues and the tangible impact being made in the environment and people's lives. The responsibilities I was given gave me ample occasions to learn and grow, and all this while being supervised, supported and greatly encouraged by a wonderful mentor and spectacular colleagues.

I wish there were more outreach events and that I had gotten the chance to do some route mapping for our wecycle tricycles. But then again, there's only so much one can do in two and a half months.
Jordan

Best Experience of My Life

My internship with Wecyclers was an incredible experience that allowed me to develop my professional skills while concurrently learning about a new culture. Working with a start-up in the most populous city in all of Africa really expanded my mindset of what is possible in the business world in "developing countries."

I was able to work directly with the CEO of this recycling company to help reduce poverty in poor areas of Nigeria while at the same time improve the environmental conditions of some highly-polluted areas.

Working in the field of social entrepreneurship was like working nowhere else. The passion of all my co-workers was truly awe-inspiring. They motivated me to work as hard as they did every day and to really make the world a better place. This is hands-down the best internship experience I have had in my life.

The only thing I wish I could change about this internship would be its duration. I wish I could have stayed at Wecyclers for longer than just 2 months. There is so much going on in the start-up world in Nigeria right now that 2 months simply isn't enough time to experience and learn everything in this field. I would want to stay longer.

About Wecyclers

Wecyclers is a recycling organization located in Lagos, Nigeria. We take an innovative approach to waste management by working from the grassroots level to encourage people to recycle their waste in return for redeemable points. We collect recyclable...